After weight loss?

Options
I am 5'5" 18 y/o in the last 8-10 months I went from 280 pounds to 150, and now I seem to be stuck. I still do strength training and some cardio, but I havnt seen any progress over the last month. What is there to do now to get a lower body fat %.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lee0079 wrote: »
    I am 5'5" 18 y/o in the last 8-10 months I went from 280 pounds to 150, and now I seem to be stuck. I still do strength training and some cardio, but I havnt seen any progress over the last month. What is there to do now to get a lower body fat %.

Wow, what a great loss!

I'm kind of wondering if now would be a good time for you to up your calories a bit and focus on building muscle instead of burning fat. You're a young guy who is just .1 bmi point overweight. Your age/hormone profile (I.e., testosterone level) puts you in a great muscle building position if you hit the weights hard.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a great loss!

What she said. That is awesome.

What you are talking about now is recomp...increasing muscle/reducing fat. AFAIK most lift heavy and work through a bulk/cut cycle.

The best IMO would be if you have the ability to work with a qualified professional, but there are a lot of DIY resources online now to help with that. Just beware of woo.

Invest some time doing research here for a start:

nerdfitness.com/
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Strength training! Lift heavy and focus on recomp. You're already at a very healthy weight.
  • lee0079
    lee0079 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!, do I need to up my calories? On a normal day I eat around 1800 or so. And I have been lifting weights for 5-6 months now, but I'm still decreasing in weight I can lift.
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    lee0079 wrote: »
    but I'm still decreasing in weight I can lift.

You are either not eating enough calories or since you are basically in the normal range you could be over training.

If your deficit is set to 1,000 a day lower it to 500 and take a day of rest in between your weight lifting sessions.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You're very young and need to be eating more :) This is a good weight, not sure what your goals are, but you can definitely start upping your calories and lifting heavier! Maybe simply add a protein shake after each workout in the 200-500 calorie range for starters, and have an extra egg with your breakfast :smile:
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Time to put some trust in the daily calorie requirements for someone of your age and body type... Add lots of protein and don't be afraid to gain muscle weight!

Let that testosterone fly my friend! I am 48 and would kill for your levels!

Congrats on getting healthy and don't let yourself fall off of the wagon again...you have a long life ahead of you!

R
  • lee0079
    lee0079 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks rhyalus! My whole family is very overweight, but I don't plan on falling off the wagon again!