Omega 3's anyone?

Options
I HATE fish, the most recommended source of the stuff. I have recently been using 1 tbsp./day of flax oil on my salad and veggies as it makes a good dressing base. I actually do FEEL better. I have never had this as a part of my diet before. I'd love to hear how the rest of you get this in, especially those who don't care for seafood like me.

Replies

• LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try chia. It can be added to lots of foods & put into recipes.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Fish is recommended because of the EPA and DHA both of which are not essential because the body can make these longer chain omega's from ALA which is the flax your consuming and an essential fat along with LA an omega 6. The basic problem with doing that is in the efficiency at which the body converts ALA to those longer chain omega's. The body elongates (desaturates) the ALA first into EPA then further into DHA. The conversion rate is about 5% for EPA and up to 20% in some people, vegetarians come to mind and the conversion rate for DHA is an abysmal .05% or there about. Cheers.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I bought some flaxseed today (Bob's Red Mill). I've never had it before, but the label says two tablespoons contains 3600 mg of omega 3. It also says you can eat it whole, ground up, or spouted, and to add to cooked cereals, granola, pancakes, muffins, etc.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of nuts and oily fish but I still suppliment with fish oil. I read that the perfect balance of omega 3 to omega 6 is around 1 to 1 but in todays diet theres much more omega 6 so most of us should suppliment.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I was at Whole Foods the other day and came across a blend of flax, chia, cocoa and coconut, so it has all kinds of great benefits. It doesn't taste too bad either. I usually put it in my pancakes in the morning, you could probably blend it up into a smoothie or protein shake, baked goods, top on cereals and yogurts, etc. In addition, I also take fish oil capsules. The only seafood I'll eat is canned tuna, but it must be mixed with full fat mayo for me to stomach it, so I just apt for the pills.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    There is a supplement called Coromega that comes in several flavors. I have only ever tried the orange flavor, but it doesn't have a fishy aftertaste and is the only omega supplement that my four-year-old doesn't object to taking.
  • sallyjean210
    sallyjean210 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats that I eat: walnuts; almonds; avocado; olive oil; and other Omega 3. Eaten in small amounts. Best wishes.
  • gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I will try some of these things.