Seriously? I burned less than 200 calories?

Options
Now I know lifting weights isn't exactly calorie torching, but for a whole hour of busting my butt I thought it might be a little more than that :(

Oh well, I guess in the long run muscles help burn calories faster anyway.

Replies

• sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes... It's like really?! I just did all that for how many calories?!

Try to do your reps faster maybe to get your HR up, and take less time between breaks. Should burn more calories and in less time. Either that or run for a bit afterward to get some extra calories in. :)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    In P90X we normally accompany weights with pushups, pullups, or dynamic leg-work ... average burn is about 400-500 calories (unless you're super fit).
  • brujeria48
    brujeria48 Posts: 25
    Options
    Do cardio intervals between your sets, like a minute of jumping rope or burpees. It really raises the heart rate and burns those calories away. Combo lifting moves also elevate the heart rate like crazy and allows you to use your gym time more effectively.
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    In P90X we normally accompany weights with pushups, pullups, or dynamic leg-work ... average burn is about 400-500 calories (unless you're super fit).

Hmm maybe I did burn more then cause this is a class I take at the gym and we do multiple moves all at once and I really break a sweat!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options

Hmm maybe I did burn more then cause this is a class I take at the gym and we do multiple moves all at once and I really break a sweat!

Use a HRM, and you'll know for sure :-)
    It's a worthwhile investment...trust me on this.
  • cherylblake
    cherylblake Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How much do we burn lifting weights...=my excercise diary only counts cardio calories burned? I do light weights(8-15llbs) and 10- 12 rep 3 series.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    You have to remember... your burning a lot more fat than calories than you would with cardio. You're also building muscle.. I've been doing body pump for about 1 1/2 to 2 months now 1-2 times a week. I still haven't lost any weight (stupid plateau) but I have built some sexy calves and some big ol' biceps!

Just keep with it! Drink your water and have a good protein/carb filled snack after to help build up them muscles!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Use a HRM, and you'll know for sure :-)
    It's a worthwhile investment...trust me on this.

You might want to read this first.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698
  • Azdak
    Options
    First of all, you cannot count calories burned during strength training. There is no way to do it accurately. So if you are just lifting, the actual calorie number from the exercises themselves is minimal (I consider it insignificant, but others take issue with that word, so I changed it). It's a waste of time to try and quantify it IMO (and, no, HRMs cannot be used either--http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698).

Mixed-activity classes are a little different--examples: circuit training, cross fit--any activity that has a cardio component. Even with that, however, the HRM calories will be significantly off--20%-30% or more.

Some people feel it is helpful/motivating to have SOME number to claim as "workout calories" --if so, then putting down 150-250 (depending on body size and workout duration) is probably OK.

The problem is not that strength training is not effective in burning calories and promoting weight loss. It's that there is no good way to quantify that effect in terms of calories. The main reason is that there is so much variability in types of programs and in individual response.

So, lift heavy and lift often. But don't go nuts trying to count the calories.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes... It's like really?! I just did all that for how many calories?!

Try to do your reps faster maybe to get your HR up, and take less time between breaks. Should burn more calories and in less time. Either that or run for a bit afterward to get some extra calories in. :)

That's not necessarily an effective strategy. First of all, an increased heart rate during strength training does not mean an increased calorie burn. Often the increased heart rate is due to a pressure load on the heart, not a volume load, and thus does not lead to an increase in oxygen uptake.

Secondly, shortening the rest period between sets or exercises can have a negative effect on your strength training results. Strength training results come from the load put on the muscles. The muscles need adequate time to recover in between sets to rebuild creatine phosphate stores in order to give an optimal effort for the next exercise.

Those of you who are less interested in building strength and muscle, but want a high-intensity workout, will benefit from "metabolic" type circuits, where intensity is high, movements are challenging, but resistance is at 40% of 1 RM or lower. That would be a better approach than trying to "gimmick" a weight lifting workout.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Use a Heart Rate Monitor. I got mine from a sporting goods store. They run around $100 for the basic kind. If you get a Polar HRM, the machines at the gym will pick up the signal and display it on the machine.

Trust me. $100 is SO worth it. Then you don't have to guess at how many calories you're burning. It's probably more than you think!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Remember that while the caloric burn during straight weight lifting might not be as high as cardio activities, it is crucial if you want to preserve your lean muscle mass as you lose fat. I think it is very eye-opening and motivating to also track your body fat percentage in some way as you lose weight. You need to keep challenging the muscles or you will lose that along with the fat, which is no good!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Remember that while the caloric burn during straight weight lifting might not be as high as cardio activities, it is crucial if you want to preserve your lean muscle mass as you lose fat. I think it is very eye-opening and motivating to also track your body fat percentage in some way as you lose weight. You need to keep challenging the muscles or you will lose that along with the fat, which is no good!

I do this! Luckily my scale tells me my body fat % as well as my water %. I also do measurements 1-2 times a month on everything!