Chobani flavoured yogurts

Hi everyone

So I've wanted to try out the flavours for a while now but am a little put off by he fact that the flavoured vs plain have a lot more carbs. Does this matter or not so much when it comes to yogurt?

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    I don't understand what you mean. Are you asking if the protein in yogurt offsets the carbs? If so, no. I like Chobani Blueberry and Strawberry. They're only about 140 calories. But if you're concerned about carbs, buy the plain version.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Just leave room for the carbs with the rest of your day's food choices. It's only about 15-20, isn't it? I can't remember precisely. But it's not too much, really. So just make sure you have room for that number of carbs, by making your other choices for the day lower in carbs.
  • aipomrules
    aipomrules Posts: 6 Member
    If you're concerned about empty calories in the flavoring, mix the plain yogurt with actual fruit instead. Frozen raspberries or blueberries, or chopped bananas or apples with cinnamon. You get the flavor, plus another serving of fruit and nutrients.
  • tleighs64
    tleighs64 Posts: 12
    I was eating 1 of those daily as part of my breakfast. I also was eating the Dannon Oikos yogurt. For both of them, the "fruit" is in a sugar glaze / gel. Then I read the label and saw how much sugar is in it. I am diabetic and needed to cut back on the carbs. Instead, I buy the larger container of the plain Chobani. It is much less expensive than the individual serving cups. I just cut up some fresh fruit and mix it in. Much better for me and I don't feel like I am eating some fruit out of the center of a pie.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    If you aren't limiting carbs or sugar then go for it! Flavored yogurt has a LOT of sugar. It really is starting to rival soda in the amount of sugar it contains. If you want to limit sugar, I suggest flavoring plain yogurt yourself. Honey and fruit work great. I personally like to mix sugar free pudding into plain yogurt. Sounds weird but tastes good. Peanut butter is another good one.
  • startheory
    startheory Posts: 63
    Those are really good but I agree with above poster. The sugar content puts me off. If I ate them I would have barely any room for sugar the rest of the day! I'd rather have chicken and a protein shake to get my protein for the day...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Same here. I got some yoplait ones that had half the carb but I hear they're not 'real' greek yogurt, so meh. I'm sticking to plain with my own fruit, even if quite frankly I don't eat as much of it this way because it's more work :p
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Flavored has more calories because it has added sugar. If you can't stand plain greek yogurt then try adding your own honey or cocoa powder etc so you can control how much (and the quality of) sugar you're eating
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    The real problem is the "evaporated can juice" which is straight sugar. This ups the sugar content in Chobani blueberry to 20g of dietary sugars. For comparison's sake, a standard size Snicker's Bar is 27g of sugar.

For comparison, let's calculate the sugars and calories in 6 ounces (the size of the Chobani blueberry container) with Cabot full fat yogurt and frozen blueberries, which is what I often have for breakfast or an evening treat.

To come up with the equivalent of the 6 oz. blueberry yogurt container, let's use

Four oz. of Cabot full-fat Greek yogurt = 145 cal.; 7g sugar.
    Two oz. frozen blueberries = 29 cal.; 5g sugar.

So, here's the breakdown:

Chobani blueberry yogurt: 140 cal.; 20g sugar; <1g fiber
    Full-fat Greek yogurt & blueberries: 174 cal.; 12 g sugar; 4g fiber

If you were to switch to the Chobani plain + frozen blueberries:

Four oz. of Chobani plain yogurt: 67 cal.; 7g sugar
    Two oz. frozen blueberries = 29 cal.; 5g sugar.

or 96 cal.; 12 g. of sugar; 4 g fiber.

Sugar tends to increase appetite and fat tends to sate it so I choose full fat yogurt and real fruit over low fat yogurt and the equivalent of jam and plan my eating around the increased calories in the full fat food.

After I cut way back on sugars I do have much more control over my appetite than I've had in years. I also notice that eating anything sweet just makes me want to eat more so I am very careful to note that effect and ignore the hunger signals that happen after eating sweet stuff.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    I'm also totally put off by the carb/sugar content of flavored yogurt, even when it's Greek-style and higher in protein. So I do what lots of others recommend--buy larger tubs of plain yogurt (I prefer Fage) and mix in my own fruit. I sweeten it with a tsp of stevia, sometimes add a drop or two of vanilla extract. It's also good with PB2, a powdered version of peanut butter with lower fat and calories. They make flavored yogurts that are "light," and therefore lower in sugar, but they use aspartame or splenda, and I try to minimize my intake of that stuff.
  • startheory
    startheory Posts: 63
    I'm also totally put off by the carb/sugar content of flavored yogurt, even when it's Greek-style and higher in protein. So I do what lots of others recommend--buy larger tubs of plain yogurt (I prefer Fage) and mix in my own fruit. I sweeten it with a tsp of stevia, sometimes add a drop or two of vanilla extract. It's also good with PB2, a powdered version of peanut butter with lower fat and calories. They make flavored yogurts that are "light," and therefore lower in sugar, but they use aspartame or splenda, and I try to minimize my intake of that stuff.

I'm totally trying this with Truvia and vanilla extract. Sounds amazing!!!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I just started buying the Fage plain Greek yogurtin the big tubs and mixing in my own fruit or flavoring.
    Right now I am on a kick for coconut extract and honey.
  • karapara21
    karapara21 Posts: 20 Member
    I was using the flavored chobani as an ice cream substitute, I was putting it in the freezer. I think you're all correct. It's a tweak I'm gonna have to make. Thanks for the reminder of the sugar.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    You sugar haters are totally missing out. Chobani Flip Key Lime Pie is mind blowing. Just like the real deal.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I don't track my sugar so I gobble down flavored Chobani like it's candy. I sometimes mix in a square or two of chocolate into the strawberry for some added tastiness. Yum Yum.