Halp! I binged on sorbet...

Options
So I ate half a litre of mixed berry sorbet today. I skipped breakfast and the snacks I was supposed to eat, I also worked in 98 degrees for an hour and a half without fluid, and I think my blood sugar dropped rapidly. I felt seriously faint, vision went dark, hearing faded, and I felt like I wasn't in control of my body, after a few minutes, I felt slightly better and that's when I hit the sorbet.

I was quite worried about how many calories I blew, but turns out I will only be 18 calories over goal, and I can still eat a good dinner. :)

Lesson from thread: don't rage-quit because you "binged" until you've logged everything. And if you are way over goal, still don't rage-quit. Don't stop until you see results.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Are you T2 diabetic, hypoglycemic? Ever get that checked?

I thought the lesson would be "properly fuel your workouts" including hydration. The sorbet would bring your blood sugar up rapidly but if I were you I'd get a little fat and protein in your system as well so you don't crash for a second time today. Maybe a little peanut butter on a cracker.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Are you T2 diabetic, hypoglycemic? Ever get that checked?

I thought the lesson would be "properly fuel your workouts" including hydration. The sorbet would bring your blood sugar up rapidly but if I were you I'd get a little fat and protein in your system as well so you don't crash for a second time today. Maybe a little peanut butter on a cracker.

Yes, I did eat after the sorbet, but at that moment my first thought was "Sugar - now..."

I'm not sure about the above. I've never been diagnosed with those things, yet I do have blood sugar issues. Apparently 3 doctors think its "natural" for my blood sugar to just drop like that... wow really? Medical care here sucks. So i figured out by myself what works, for me thats 3 meals and regular snacking. Today has just been a huge whirlwind, and there was literally no time for it.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    Added lesson - Properly fuel your workouts ;)
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Oh well, it happens. lol tumbling face first off the wagon is gonna happen once in a while. Dust yourself off and get back up there .
  • jgnatca
    Options
    There's a fasting blood test that will tell you one way or another if you have blood sugar issues. In the meantime, eat like a hypoglycemic. You may want to pick up "glucotabs", on the shelf in the diabetic supplies section of the pharmacy. It's the fastest and most efficient way to bring your blood sugar up (lowest calorie). I suggest glucotabs and hiker's mix on hand at all times.

As soon as you have that sensation that you might black out, pop a glucotab. Then follow up with a small handful of nuts.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    There's a fasting blood test that will tell you one way or another if you have blood sugar issues. In the meantime, eat like a hypoglycemic. You may want to pick up "glucotabs", on the shelf in the diabetic supplies section of the pharmacy. It's the fastest and most efficient way to bring your blood sugar up (lowest calorie). I suggest glucotabs and hiker's mix on hand at all times.

As soon as you have that sensation that you might black out, pop a glucotab. Then follow up with a small handful of nuts.

Thanks I'll check that out. Never knew about them. I've been having this issue for like 2 years now. But yeah like I said, as long as I eat regularly I'm fine. Who needs doctors anyway. ;)
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Passing out from low blood sugar is one of the things we learn about in our first aid class, as it can be dangerous (as in, not waking back up). The treatment is sugar. Which you did, bravo. Glucotabs just makes the dosage reasonable (instead of half a tub of sorbet, lol.)
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    Passing out from low blood sugar is one of the things we learn about in our first aid class, as it can be dangerous (as in, not waking back up). The treatment is sugar. Which you did, bravo. Glucotabs just makes the dosage reasonable (instead of half a tub of sorbet, lol.)

Well it tasted good... Lol :lol: