3 weeks without alcohol

Options

Replies

• tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is great. I've never been a drinker (only had a sip once in Mexico because the server thought it'd be funny to put alcohol in my virgin margarita, haha). But I do know that giving up what you *think* you love can be incredibly difficult.

I drank about 64oz of Diet Pepsi every day. I hated that I had to have it. I tried to cut back, but it didn't work. I haven't had any for 9 months. And I've gone without any added sugars for 50 days on 3 separate occasions and that was dang hard. Sugar is in everything from bacon and lunch meat to mayonnaise and frozen veggies.

So good job. That's a huge accomplishment, even if only to prove to yourself that you CAN do it.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I just wanted to update that I made it through my work trip without a drink... I'm at 40+ days now without any alcohol, the knee feels great, I'm back on my skates, and hockey will be back in my life soon!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Burger2066 wrote: »
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I just wanted to update that I made it through my work trip without a drink... I'm at 40+ days now without any alcohol, the knee feels great, I'm back on my skates, and hockey will be back in my life soon!

glad the trip went well. and that you are finding things to keep yourself busy. keep it up
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Good for you. It really are those challenging times that we see how strong we are.
    Did you have to explain anything to anyone or were most of them pretty understanding?
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm working on getting back on track with no drinking. At home in my bedroom, I have four 5 gallon water jugs a month. Since I'm the only drinker of water, I have no diet coke either. Starting to lose interest in DC and alcohol. Beer raises my stomach weight dramatically and I'm an "I'm bored" drinker/eater. 3 days sober and lost 2 pounds so far on the return track.
  • Burger2066
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    Good for you. It really are those challenging times that we see how strong we are.
    Did you have to explain anything to anyone or were most of them pretty understanding?

There were a couple of people in the group that asked, but I just told them that I'm working on recovering from a knee injury and trying to get back to playing hockey. They didn't question it after that.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I do drink on rare occassions but usually i just say because i don't. and shrug. seems to work.
    keep it up @joeyzuraski maybe you can start your own three weeks sober thread in few weeks :)
  • Burger2066
    Options
    I'm working on getting back on track with no drinking. At home in my bedroom, I have four 5 gallon water jugs a month. Since I'm the only drinker of water, I have no diet coke either. Starting to lose interest in DC and alcohol. Beer raises my stomach weight dramatically and I'm an "I'm bored" drinker/eater. 3 days sober and lost 2 pounds so far on the return track.

That is awesome. I cut out sodas for the 40 days so far too. So I guess it technically isn't all due to alcohol, the sodas helped too. But I definitely saw physical changes like you're seeing. And the mental and physical feeling (not the weight loss, but the clarity if you will) is what really felt great. Keep it up!
  • d_creasman
    d_creasman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well done! I am just at the beginning of a (hopefully) 3 week dry spell. My regular drinking patterns are not dissimilar to yours except I probably drink slightly more 1 night a week but have 2/3 dry days. Any tips would be gratefully received (I am dreading Friday night!)

Plan a hard workout for Saturday morning. Long run, cardio or something along those lines. Since you will likely have to wake up early to do this then you will have to make choices, like not drinking on Friday. When we lived in WA, we did this and it worked out quite well.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Yeah you!
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    As someone trying to quit and who sacrifices dinner in order to drink so as to not go over calories, that is a big deal. I'm proud of you! I hope to have that same willpower.
  • claer947
    claer947 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Any change in a regular routine can be tough. Way to stick with it!
  • Burger2066
    Options
    @Terpnista84 I did the same thing (on days that I cared if it stayed under...which was also an issue related to it all). It has been really easy for me not to drink at home, I just carry a shaker bottle around and drink water all evening. But going out with friends or to that work conference was the tricky part because it would have been so easy to "just have one". But looking at the counter on my phone go up each day helps me stay focused too.
    @moyer566 @JeromeBarry1 @claerhout947 Thank y'all!
  • sosunni
    sosunni Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's great that you are feeling better, but please don't swear off the stuff entirely - people who don't drink are weird.

They're not weird, you just don't know how to relate to them when they're the ones not drinking.

• sosunni
    Options
    deremith88 wrote: »
    Stick to it! I'm at 7.5 months. The health & fitness benefits are so worth it!!!

I'm at 10 months.... I was just drinking too much, too often for too long. Did dry January every year but with the stresses of my job and that I married a pilot with two kids from two different moms, I was self medicating to 'deal'... now, I choose if I want to be in a situation and when I don't, I don't.

Kudos all around. Folks are too scared to talk about their own alcohol issues as it seems everyone is always quick to label them. We don't have to be text book alcoholics... we just have to want not to be what we have been. Simply put.

So, I quit drinking and found ice cream. I'm an (was) an gym rat for the most part until a office move in 2012 and then ankle surgery dec 2014 just totally annihilated my fitness routine... got to the point years ago that I looked good in a thong bikini.. those days are gone but I'm gunnin' for 'em. Have my fitness cert credentials and a blog that I on and off again write my progress... Id be happy to share for those that want the extra motivation; being accountable to keep me going is my goal! I'm 20 days in on the gym; going before work in the am. and I'm NOT a morning person! Glad I stumbled on this today... nice way to end my Friday. Have a good weekend everyone.

Here's to 'us' drinkers that aren't....
  • sosunni
    Options
    @Terpnista84 I did the same thing (on days that I cared if it stayed under...which was also an issue related to it all). It has been really easy for me not to drink at home, I just carry a shaker bottle around and drink water all evening. But going out with friends or to that work conference was the tricky part because it would have been so easy to "just have one". But looking at the counter on my phone go up each day helps me stay focused too.
    @moyer566 @JeromeBarry1 @claerhout947 Thank y'all!

First @ Burger2066 - GOOD job... stopping it the hardest part, staying stopped gets easier. I also use a sober tool on my phone and have either told folks I'm on medication or I fill my glass with what I want before someone wants to get me a drink. They don't have to know what's in my glass. :smile: Keep it up!!!
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You're rocking it!

I have never been a drinker so don't entirely understand the culture around it. I got slightly drunk in my 18th birthday and hated the achy feeling and didn't touch a drop for a year lol! I do drink socially - but never more than a couple of drinks. Tends to work out to a dozen drinks a year or so.

Personally, I find I enjoy the taste, but no more than I enjoy the taste of juice or pop. I detest feeling tipsy (I get giggly) so that "benefit" is no good. It doesn't relax me or "help" in any way. So most of the time I figure I might as well get a juice/pop if I want to drink my calories (which is rare since I prefer a yummy dessert).

My coworkers know I am a lightweight. I am super strict around them though - not a chance I EVER want to look tipsy and silly around them!

My DH drinks even less than I do and our close friends rarely drink either. My coworkers can never understand how I can have parties without alcohol (we rarely have any). My friends are so wacky already, we sure don't need alcohol to make a ton of noise and we usually spend our parties rolling in laughter.

Sure saves us a ton of money!!!
  • ChiliBeans
    ChiliBeans Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Congratulations !! That's great. Keep it up. The ringing in your ears may continue. I fractured my skull six years ago and I still get the occasional ringing.
  • Morglez
    Morglez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I considered myself a moderate to heavy drinker. And by that I mean not drinking every day, but the 2-3 days a week I did drink, I drank Strawberritas which are 8% alcohol. (And also loaded with sugar!) So when I do drink I get a VERY nice buzz. However, about 2.5 weeks ago I decided I needed to stop. Not only for the weight loss, but also because I was tired of constantly having brain fog and feeling like crap. Since then I have only had one bottle of wine. And I have noticed a HUGE difference. Not only has my brain fog almost gone, but I also have SO much more energy. And overall I just feel better. The couple times that I have thought that I wanted to have a drink I just reminded myself of how crappy it makes me feel and I refrain. Well, except that one night that I had the wine, lol. But one bottle of wine in 2.5 weeks for me is a HUGE cut.
    Great job and good luck on your journey!
  • Burger2066
    Options
    ChiliBeans wrote: »
    Congratulations !! That's great. Keep it up. The ringing in your ears may continue. I fractured my skull six years ago and I still get the occasional ringing.

I still haven't had the ringing...41+ days now without a drink. Even if it isn't related, I'm assuming it is until proven otherwise. Haha.