Help, waking up early

Options
Before you all take me as a joke, I'm a 5 day per week worker-outer. (Is that even a word?) I work full time, take 5 classes in college, and very committed to the gym. I need to start gyming before work instead of after work to help with my schedule. I'm having a super hard time getting out of bed at 4:30 or 5am just to gym. I always feel so tired! Is there anything anyone has done to help them with a similar issue? Or any vitamins or supplements?

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Can't help. I've had my alarm clock set to 6:20 for two weeks now... Have not once made it out of bed before seven.

The best I can recommend is getting to bed earlier. You can't compromise on sleep and not expect to feel tired.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:00 am. I need to get at least 7 hours of quality sleep or I am seriously dragging in the morning. You sound pretty busy, but you still need to schedule time for proper sleep or it will catch up with you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i make sure i get enough sleep.
    i have coffee
    i have my bag ready to go at the end of the bed
    the dog also knows the schedule and does not let me deviate
  • jaybelovely
    jaybelovely Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Can't help. I've had my alarm clock set to 6:20 for two weeks now... Have not once made it out of bed before seven.

The best I can recommend is getting to bed earlier. You can't compromise on sleep and not expect to feel tired.

That sounds just like me. I always tell myself just a few more minutes and it's never enough time to gym. I was trying to work around getting less sleep and doesn't sound possible
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    I get up at 4:00 am. I need to get at least 7 hours of quality sleep or I am seriously dragging in the morning. You sound pretty busy, but you still need to schedule time for proper sleep or it will catch up with you.

Impressive, how long did it take your body to adjust?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Can you put a second alarm across the room? I use 2 alarms (yeah, I know). One I have to get out of bed for.
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    i make sure i get enough sleep.
    i have coffee
    i have my bag ready to go at the end of the bed
    the dog also knows the schedule and does not let me deviate

I haven't tried having the bag ready so that could be another step. It's just the process of being exhausted day in and out.
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Can you put a second alarm across the room? I use 2 alarms (yeah, I know). One I have to get out of bed for.

I haven't tried that but it sounds like it would help. The first step out of the bed is the hardest for me. Thanks! I'll try that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Impressive, how long did it take your body to adjust?

I've been doing it for 12 years and I am still not adjusted. Getting proper sleep just makes it less sucky.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I came across this alarm clock rug the other day, and it seems like a good idea.
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I came across this alarm clock rug the other day, and it seems like a good idea.

Tried to go purchase and doesn't look like it's available yet! That is the answer
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I used to get up early for the gym and now do it to go to work. I just get up and do it and I also go to bed early. If it is important you will adjust priorities.

The dog helps but he still doesn't understand weekends.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    All The times (a total of TWO times) I've planned on being up at 6am to be at the gym by 6:30am at the latest, it helped me to be in the bed by 10pm the night before to give myself a chance to fall asleep by 11pm. And when my alarm went off at 6am, I didn't feel completely disgusted and I just hopped out of bed because I was determined to beat the sun up. It was something I really wanted to do, so I just did it (albeit, on just two occasions :) ). Adequate sleep will help you get started.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, but it's just a matter of willpower for me. I really want the benefits of a workout, so its a priority for me. I sort of mentally prepare myself for it before I go to bed each night, review what my workout will be, etc. I am excited to wake up and get after it!

I finally settled on a pattern the last few weeks: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday I get up at 5:15 and try to start my workout by 5:30. I give myself until 6:30 tops and then its "get ready for work" time! Its too hard to do every single day, so I am giving myself a break on Wednesdays now. I'll sleep in that extra hour to take the edge off midweek and recharge. I try to get in workouts on Saturday and Sunday, too, but those are easier since I can sleep in a bit more those days (I do still have 3 kids so I cant disappear too much!).

It takes like 3 weeks to develop a habit, so it'll be hard at first, but it should get easier after a while. Also, your body will adjust and you'll start going to bed earlier to compensate.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    All The times (a total of TWO times) I've planned on being up at 6am to be at the gym by 6:30am at the latest, it helped me to be in the bed by 10pm the night before to give myself a chance to fall asleep by 11pm. And when my alarm went off at 6am, I didn't feel completely disgusted and I just hopped out of bed because I was determined to beat the sun up. It was something I really wanted to do, so I just did it (albeit, on just two occasions :) ). Adequate sleep will help you get started.

Sleep definitely would help my situation a whole lot. With everything I have going on, it's hard to still cool, etc. (which I could start meal prepping on Sunday's). I overall should be going to bed earlier. I feel like apparently I don't need it
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard - I get up @ 4:15 am Monday through Friday because I have such a long commute into work (I workout when I get home - it's a stress reliever)! I definitely agree with the coffee = I try to make my mornings as stress-free as possible - have your bags packed, your clothes you're going to wear all laid out, if you eat something before you go - have that easily accessible. I'm big on planning - it really helps!
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    The biggest oversleeping problem is the snooze button. When I used to go to work(retired now), if I hit the snooze button even once, I would sleep in longer and lose motivation. I used to get up at 4:15 so I could bike to work every day. I also went to bed at a reasonable hour and slept like the dead.
    And, instead of a coffee before the gym (or whatever) drink a big glass of water. It is a real waker upper.
    Even though I'm retired, I never sleep later than 6:00, but I get to stay up later. ;)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You have to sleep.. get to bed earlier is all I can think of.. Force yourself up and you will get use to it.
  • AlanahBeez
    AlanahBeez Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Try your best to pretty much have a "bed time" set each night. And avoid that dang snooze button ;) hitting snooze actually makes it harder for you to wake up because it continuously interrupts the deep sleep you go back into. It's a habit to break and you'll be able to get up early in no time!