Help with the Weekends

Options
How do you stay in control on the weekends? I try, but by the end of Saturday and Sunday - I am way over my calories and have no energy left to walk. I know it's harder to count because sometimes I think I'm going to cook then my husband and I decide to go out to eat - I just never know what to expect. And he snacks at night and I feel "well, you blew it already" and I end up snacking with him. Any ideals/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Zig-Zag your calories?

Maybe have a couple lower days during the week so you can "bank" some extra calories for the weekend. "Bank" some of your earned exercise calories.

Plan on your nightly snack. Popcorn (homemade or Smart Pop) can go a long way.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Try to get past the "well I blew it already" mind set. Give yourself one weekend day where you allow yourself to go over and indulge wisely. Either way if you screw up don't beat yourself up. Just get started again.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    keep low calories snacks around and seriously - get out of that " i already blew it" way of thinking. i used to do that and it would mess me up every weekend. i agree with what previous posters said - maybe have a few lower days during the week so it evens out. if you go out to eat, look at the menu ahead of time and see if you can plan out a healthier option. and try to get some exercise in - maybe a walk around the neighborhood or a quick video.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I keep my calories really tight during the week. As close to 1200 as possible. (MFP has me on 1200 to lose 1.3lbs per week) I'm going to start exercising a little this week to bank even more calories. Then on the weekends, as long as I stay under (or at least close) to 1600 (which would be maintenance for me) I am happy.

That's just what I do and it seems to work for me. Then I have some cals for beer, eating out, & some other treats on the weekend. That plan satisfies both my physical & mental "needs" around food.

I know that I won't be losing 1.3lbs per week on this tactic. Maybe not even 1lb per week. But I'm trying to relearn healthy habits surrounding food & movement, so I'm not too worried about that.

As others have said, the "I already blew it, what does more food matter" mentality is really hurting you too. There is a huge difference between going over 500 calories & going over 1000+. No reason one has to turn into the other.
  • RickyN29
    RickyN29 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yup, enjoy your weekend! Try to cut back a little during the week and then don't feel so bad about going over on a weekend day. Try to still keep the options healthier, but by all means, eat a little of whatever you want. Weekends are definitely a challenge.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bcovely wrote: »
    I feel "well, you blew it already" and I end up snacking with him.

By that logic, If your car gets a dent in it do you declare it totaled and send it to the scrap yard? If you spill a little milk do you dump the whole gallon down the drain?

Going a little over is not necessarily a bad thing. It probably means you are at a smaller deficit than your chosen preference, maybe maintenance. Likely you have not in fact "blown it". AS others suggest, if you know your weekends are going to be more calories, maybe bank some by eating at a slightly bigger deficit during the week. Or just allow yourself a smaller deficit or even a maintenance day on the weekends. It will slow you down a little ,yes, but it won't take you in the opposite direction.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Yes, like others have mentioned, I find that I am most successful when I eat a few hundred calories lower on week nights so that I can indulge Friday through Sunday. Of course, it makes Monday all the more... Monday-ish, since I go back to a deeper cut, but it allows me to never feel deprived on the weekends. If I feel like I am punishing myself, I'm never going to be successful, and that's always how I feel when I never can treat myself. I go by my weekly, rather than daily, calorie average, and it has never hindered my loss.
  • bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all.......I really appreciate it.
  • quzzdragon
    quzzdragon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    KiyaK wrote: »
    I keep my calories really tight during the week. As close to 1200 as possible. (MFP has me on 1200 to lose 1.3lbs per week) I'm going to start exercising a little this week to bank even more calories. Then on the weekends, as long as I stay under (or at least close) to 1600 (which would be maintenance for me) I am happy.

That's just what I do and it seems to work for me. Then I have some cals for beer, eating out, & some other treats on the weekend. That plan satisfies both my physical & mental "needs" around food.

I know that I won't be losing 1.3lbs per week on this tactic. Maybe not even 1lb per week. But I'm trying to relearn healthy habits surrounding food & movement, so I'm not too worried about that.

As others have said, the "I already blew it, what does more food matter" mentality is really hurting you too. There is a huge difference between going over 500 calories & going over 1000+. No reason one has to turn into the other.

This goal of 1600 for the weekends but sticking to 1200 during the week is a GREAT idea! I want to lose weight but I don't have to lose it all at once. Maybe if I do this I'll lose a little slower but it'll be easier for me to stick to it. I also struggle with "well I already blew it" syndrome. I also struggle with "I would kill for a drink" syndrome. I've changed what I drink to make them lower calorie, but alcohol is always going to have calories.
  • gracermom
    gracermom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else have the problem when you go over on the weekend with the scale blowing up. After this last weekend the scale went up by like 4 pounds. It is coming back down but it is frustrating it takes me 3 or four days to get back to square one.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I actually like the weekends. Since I usually sleep later and I'm not working, I can fast quite easily. I will either fast until dinner and have all of my calories available for a fantastic meal, or I'll skip breakfast, eat a very light lunch (around 300 calories) and have the remaining calories at dinner. Plus I have much more time to exercise and more energy since I'm not tired from the work day.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I save weekends for my cheat meals :) I am very good all week and then choose 1 or 2 meals (but don't go overboard) to have on Saturday/Sunday. Or I'll skip breakfast and have a big lunch. Last weekend I chose an IHOP waffle then did a lot of walking :) I know what you mean about the SO snacking, I try to keep snacks I can have close by for when he starts munching on cheetos or doritos, something I used to really like. He works retail and gets so many steps in a day he hoovers stuff at night and doesn't gain a lb!
  • bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Such great ideals, thanks!
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I struggle I'm wekends too. We tend to eat out more on weekends so the portions are bigger (and God forbid that I don't finish it all!) and the food is more calorie dense. Its something I plan to work on this month.
  • RadiantChange
    RadiantChange Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I got my family involved with our food, choices, shopping, preparing and cooking every Saturday. We all go together, stop at a natural, organic food bar and have a meal along the way. It was a nightmare before I decided to get them involved. Now we all enjoy our day out. Ohhh, we always take a cooler along for the stuff that needs to go in the fridge in case we go for a afternoon adventure such as hike, roller skate or to a movie. All the best to you!