Just need to write it down...

Options
I think on my wieght loss journey i haven't done too badly. Ive had a few blips and gains but since ive found this app and started using it for its intended purpose and hitting the gym and changing my exercise routine Ive started losing weight again. So my best friend had a baby 12 weeks ago and phones me today to ask me to go swimming with them for the first time and for the first time in my life ive had to say no. Ive never refused her any request, and i feel so terrible because of it. She wont hold it against me, she knows why i said no and has no issue with it but it killed me a little. Even though ive lost quite a bit of weight im still a heavy chap and still havily embarassed that anyone, my family and friends included would ever see me with my shirt off. Even though i see heavy guys doin it all the time its something i have no confidence to do myself. Other than continuing to lose weight (which this baby is spurring me on to do) does anyone, heavy guys especially, have any confidence building tips?

Replies

• bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I do!

Go to a pool that has classes!

Like aqua size or lap swimming.

MANY people at these classes are working toward their health goals and many of them are far from perfect, some even wear a shirt over their bathing suits.

Since you are comforable at the gym, I'm sure you understand that most people there, even those that have awesome bodies now, may have started when they were not so fit. They aren't judging you, they are cheering you in their thoughts because you are there working towards your goals!

I am soooooo intimidated at a pool during regular hours, with the kids and hot bodies all around, but during exercise times, it is a much more comfortable atmosphere.

Check out a pool during exercise time in your street clothes. Talk to the employees about some classes that might work for you.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Use going to the pool and taking your shirt off as a goal--when you reach it call your friend and invite her for your victory. Good luck.
  • PaulThomp23
    PaulThomp23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) never thought about pool classes, only ever thought about regular hours. Will definitely be looking into those.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) never thought about pool classes, only ever thought about regular hours. Will definitely be looking into those.

You should. I've been swimming for 20 yrs, and I can garantee that you see all shapes and sizes and it makes no difference. One of the thinnest ladies at the pool goes into the only changing room so no one can see her. You just do you, and be happy while you're doing it.