Second Week...not so good.

Options
I am in the process of losing weight and becoming healthy. Last week was my first week and even though I didn't eat and exercise perfectly I think I did a pretty good job. But now onto the second week and my drive is slowly diminishing. I know this journey is a long process but I don't want to give up and go back to old behaviors. So any ideas on how I can keep me moving and motivated?

Replies

• jsickelsmith
    jsickelsmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's always hard to change your habits.... Take one minute at a time.... each one is an accomplishment!!
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i'll tell you what works for me.... stand in front of your mirror.... it truly keeps me motivated... its one day at a time...its not easy.. but you can do it...don't give up.. don't give in
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    write down your frustrations with the process and what you want to accomplish. I find that it helps to get it down on paper or even just on your MFP blog.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hang "before" pictures in random places throughout your house/car/work-space, also hang motivational quotes. Get a group of folks to do it with you - people you're close to or a Fitness Trainer - that way you have accountability. Remind yourself WHY you're doing this. Journal. Walk. Do something to make yourself feel proud of your choice.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Don't strive for perfection; only progress. Mistakes and indulgences happen.

Make sure you're not over-restricting by eating too few calories or by dropping whole food groups. Enjoy the foods you like and eat how you want to for the rest of your life but keep your eye on portion control. Keep it simple. After logging for a few weeks, it gets much easier since many of the foods you eat are already in your "recent foods" list and you should be developing and idea on calories per portion.

Read the success stories. That forum is so motivating. :)
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Don't strive for perfection; only progress. Mistakes and indulgences happen.

Make sure you're not over-restricting by eating too few calories or by dropping whole food groups. Enjoy the foods you like and eat how you want to for the rest of your life but keep your eye on portion control. Keep it simple. After logging for a few weeks, it gets much easier since many of the foods you eat are already in your "recent foods" list and you should be developing and idea on calories per portion.

Read the success stories. That forum is so motivating. :)

I agree....
    I've used MFP for 400+ days and lost almost 60lbs. It's taken awhile but I've made tons of changes.
    Celebrate the good behavior.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Know your WHY. Why are you doing this? If it's simply to lose 5 pounds to look a little better in a bikini, it can be a little hard yeah. Anyway, ask yourself why you want to do this and chances are it's pretty important. You won't want to let yourself down. Then pick a calorie goal that you can ADHERE to. Remember you will have good days and not so good days, but the important thing is to be at a deficit at the end of the week...string weeks and weeks together and you're on a roll.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 weeks into this now - the longest I've ever stuck to any weight loss plan. This actually feels sustainable. I've been focusing on easy wins to boost my confidence. Nothing has been drastic. Although I suppose many would say cutting back to 1200 calories was drastic. It didn't feel too drastic though and I'm gradually increasing them now. I'm actually doing it because I've been losing a little TOO quickly and I want this to go slow and steady.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

A lot of people leap in the first week and instantly restrict themselves to 1200-1400 calories, and try to cut out sugar and fats, and lower carbs and stop drinking soda, and quit eating chocolate, and doing everything else that they deem unhealthy. That's the number one formula for failure. :)
    If your body is used to eating 2000 calories a day, suddenly telling it that it can only have 1400 can be really hard. Try cutting down by 100 calories the first week to start, 200 calories the second week, etc until you're at your ideal calorie count.
    Try to cut out a single bad food habit at a time, instead of suddenly stopping suddenly. Maybe start with cutting out potato chips one week, and afternoon cookies the second week, etc. For every unhealthy food habit you stop, try to add a good one- having half an orange instead of a cookie, or carrot sticks instead of chips. If you ease yourself slowly into change, you'll have a better chance of making those lifelong changes.

But the most important thing is that YOU CAN DO THIS! You're ready, and we've all got your back. :)
  • perdygreeneyes
    perdygreeneyes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A lot of people leap in the first week and instantly restrict themselves to 1200-1400 calories, and try to cut out sugar and fats, and lower carbs and stop drinking soda, and quit eating chocolate, and doing everything else that they deem unhealthy. That's the number one formula for failure. :)
    If your body is used to eating 2000 calories a day, suddenly telling it that it can only have 1400 can be really hard. Try cutting down by 100 calories the first week to start, 200 calories the second week, etc until you're at your ideal calorie count.
    Try to cut out a single bad food habit at a time, instead of suddenly stopping suddenly. Maybe start with cutting out potato chips one week, and afternoon cookies the second week, etc. For every unhealthy food habit you stop, try to add a good one- having half an orange instead of a cookie, or carrot sticks instead of chips. If you ease yourself slowly into change, you'll have a better chance of making those lifelong changes.

But the most important thing is that YOU CAN DO THIS! You're ready, and we've all got your back. :)

Amen to this! I was at 263 & disgusted so i went 2 months not eating breakfast or lunch and drinking horrible sodas and would only eat supper. I could not get use to water. I'd drink a cup and right back to sodas. (Some how lost to around 243) I was also having some stomach issues and finally had endoscopy done yesterday. My esophagus and upper stomach is red and inflamed. Prior to procedure I had to make myself start eating and so glad I was introduced to MFP. Within 4 days of being on MFP I lost a little over 4 lbs. As of this morning I've gained it back, and it is very discouraging, but it will not stop me!!!
    Now I have to find recipes for a family of 6 (mainly supper) thats not acidic , little to no seasoning and so forth to control all the acid reflux. :(
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Write down a list of your motivations - why you are doing this, why it matters - and read them every morning. Read success stories and look at before and after weight loss pictures. Commit to planning what you're going to eat and tracking what you do eat on MFP every day - whether you are having a bad day or not, whether you feel like it or not. Remember that motivation comes and goes, but keep cunning along anyway. Trust that it will come back and you'll see progress as long as you stick to the process and don't give up.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Write down a list of your motivations - why you are doing this, why it matters - and read them every morning. Read success stories and look at before and after weight loss pictures. Commit to planning what you're going to eat and tracking what you do eat on MFP every day - whether you are having a bad day or not, whether you feel like it or not. Remember that motivation comes and goes, but keep cunning along anyway. Trust that it will come back and you'll see progress as long as you stick to the process and don't give up.

Yes - I have been working hard to "trust the process" rather than getting discouraged along the way. In Week 3, I actually gained weight. The scale went up and down for a few days and a week later, i was finally back to the weight I was the week before and then dropped an extra pound quickly.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I struggle with that as well. I'm five weeks in and finding I'm craving snacks and sweets and my "old" ways. However, I look at everything by the WEEK now, not the DAY. As long as I have a 3500 calorie deficit by week's end, then I know I'm good to lose at least 1 pound (and this has held true - after my first week of big loss (5 pounds) I've been losing 1 pound per week).

So, yesterday I had some Mike n Ike candies while driving home from work - and while I could have used the 210 calories on something healthier, I also knew that tonight I'd be doing a 6-mile walk and would easily burn off the 200 calories and many, many more toward my weekly caloric deficit, and so I let go any guilt over the candy.

Set small goals - I have one goal per month for the whole year. January was to walk 50 miles during the month. I managed to walk just over fifty. For February my goal is to lose 5 pounds. For March/April I'll be giving up chocolate for Lent. And so on. This way I'm constantly WORKING towards something without having to look at the main goal of "lose 100 pounds."

Good luck to you, OP! You can do it!