Losing weight sensibly

Hi everybody, i am trying to lose weight healthily (finally) but i am having some trouble with it.
For years i have had disordered eating ranging from anorexia and being hospitalised to bulimia and binge eating disorder, and am currently 156lbs at 5"5.
I am a mum and getting married in june and have decided to stop trying every fad diet and do it right.
I have used a lot of online calculators and have set my daily calorie goal at 1500.
I am doing insanity 5-6 days a week.

Problem 1 is i feel like im not going to lose weight eating that much.
My macros are 10% carbs, 60%fat and 30% protein because im trying to sort of go with a ketogenic diet, although i found i struggled to workout without a small amount of carbs.

Basically, im looking for advice from anybody who can help me, or advise me.
Tia

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    People with a history of eating disorders, especially those significant enough to require hospital stays, should get advice on weight loss from their treatment team. Good luck!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    All of that - keto diet and Insanity - sounds more extreme than sensible to me. Not that it's necessarily bad or unhealthy, just extreme.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    I'm the same height and am losing eating 1500 calories a day. I lose about .5 lbs a week. I started at 157 and am now 142. So you CAN lose eating 1500 calories a day.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Not a doctor and it sounds like you need to refer to one given your history.. I would subscribe to a balanced diet of protein, carbs, fat unless medically advised not to.. You will lose weight over time and if not just pull back some on your calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Insanity is great fun, you should probably eat more though. Are you at least netting your calorie goal?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    People with a history of eating disorders, especially those significant enough to require hospital stays, should get advice on weight loss from their treatment team. Good luck!

I also agree with this
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Most younger women can lose weight eating 1500 calories. Shorties & senior ladies may need to go lower.

No need to go "keto" unless that's food you enjoy, or you feel like that will be a lifestyle change after the weight is off. I'm losing weight with a balanced diet (no medical issues for me). I feel a balanced diet gives me the tools I need for maintenance.

No need to do Insanity, although many people do enjoy it. Pick an exercise (any exercise) that you like to do. Something you enjoy will help you be more consistent. Exercise for a life time will help you keep the weight you do lose off, for good.
  • I understand and appreciate the concern, but i have been discharged for a year now, and iv been fairly stable, but i decided to take a bit more care and start getting toned up and lean out, especially after iv had my son.
    Im really leaning more to keto because if i eat many carbs i feel very sluggish and bloated, and i enjoy lots of healthy fats already so its pretty enjoyable for me.
    Im doing insanity with my fiance, and i find it fun to be honest. I also lift weights though, it gives me energy and helps with my mood.
    I think i will stick with the 1600 for a month and then maybe see where im at, im only getting weighed 4 weekly so i dont get too caught up over the scale, but i just want to get off to the best start.