A couple of gym etiquette questions

Options
I've recently switched up my routine (due to a shift in work schedule) and I'm temporarily going to a new gym. My old gym was the one at work where I'm usually the ONLY person there (literally), so I don't have experience with working out with other people around. So I've been doing a dumbbell routine, which is fine for now since I'm not a super heavy lifter anyway, but I'm not sure on free-weight group etiquette.
1 - Is it ok to walk in front of someone to pick up weights while they're doing something? Like, can I walk in between the guy doing bicep curls and the mirror?
2 - Is it ok to hoard different weights at my bench if I know I'm going to be using that weight again later? There are plenty of other weights available.
3 - Can I "save" my bench by putting a water bottle on it when I'm doing dumbbell lunges or something? I'll just be going right back to the bench in 5 minutes. I would totally let someone work in if they asked, but wouldn't want to lose it completely.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    My two cents worth..
    1. If I can walk up and grab my weights and go I will.. If they are really close to the rack and mirror I just stand close. I don't mind if someone walks to get their weights while I'm working out.
    2. This is annoying. I had a guy just the other day that had two sets of weights at his bench. he didn't use the ones I wanted for more than 10 minutes so I finally asked, hey are you using those.. He said yes so I left it at that, but it was annoying.
    3. If I'm in the middle of my sets I'll leave my stuff on the bench. I go 3 minutes between sets. If I go off to do another type of workout. I wouldn't leave my stuff blocking a bench.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'll put in my .02 as well:
    1 - Is it ok to walk in front of someone to pick up weights while they're doing something? Like, can I walk in between the guy doing bicep curls and the mirror?
    If he's far enough from the rack that you can get in between without getting in his way, yes. If you have to squeeze between him and the rack/mirror, then no. The fact that he shouldn't be standing close enough to block access to the weights in the first place is probably a separate discussion.

2 - Is it ok to hoard different weights at my bench if I know I'm going to be using that weight again later? There are plenty of other weights available.
    Define "plenty of other weights available". If you're hoarding the 25, 30 and 35 lb. dumbbells and I need the 30-pounders, the fact that there are "plenty of other weights available" (everything 20 pounds and below or 40 pounds and up, neither of which suit my needs) doesn't justify hoarding them. If you're talking about a 25 and 35 pound weight plate and there are plenty of them all over the gym, go right ahead.

3 - Can I "save" my bench by putting a water bottle on it when I'm doing dumbbell lunges or something? I'll just be going right back to the bench in 5 minutes. I would totally let someone work in if they asked, but wouldn't want to lose it completely.

No. I could almost be done with my sets in 5 minutes, rather than having to stand around for 5 minutes while you're doing lunges, then wait another 5 minutes (or more) for you to finish using the bench. Use whatever equipment you're using at the moment, then wait your turn for whatever else like anybody else would.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    1 - As long as there is enough room for you to walk between him and mirror without you getting hit or running into him, it's fine. If the weight I needed wasn't right in front of him and I could, I'd probably go around. But if the weight I needed was right in front of him, I'd walk in front of him.

2 - Define "later." Once in awhile I'll take two different weights of dumbbells in order to do supersets. But only when the gym isn't busy. In that situation, "later" is less than a minute away. However, I don't hold onto a weight that I will need for another exercise that is several sets away.

3 - I wouldn't save a bench if I wasn't using it for something. Can you just rearrange your workout to do all the bench stuff at the same time if losing a bench would impede you?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    1 - As long as there is enough room for you to walk between him and mirror without you getting hit or running into him, it's fine. If the weight I needed wasn't right in front of him and I could, I'd probably go around. But if the weight I needed was right in front of him, I'd walk in front of him.

2 - Define "later." Once in awhile I'll take two different weights of dumbbells in order to do supersets. But only when the gym isn't busy. In that situation, "later" is less than a minute away. However, I don't hold onto a weight that I will need for another exercise that is several sets away.

3 - I wouldn't save a bench if I wasn't using it for something. Can you just rearrange your workout to do all the bench stuff at the same time if losing a bench would impede you?

This
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like there is pretty much group consensus, which is good.
    To clarify my question #2, I meant that there were plenty of other dumbbells OF THE SAME WEIGHT available. So I was hoarding 15s, 25s, and 40s, but there were still a bunch of those weights left in the rack.

Good thought on rearranging the workout to group all the bench work together. I'm using an app and I'll have to see if it lets me do that :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If he's far enough from the rack that you can get in between without getting in his way, yes. If you have to squeeze between him and the rack/mirror, then no. The fact that he shouldn't be standing close enough to block access to the weights in the first place is probably a separate discussion.

Define "plenty of other weights available". If you're hoarding the 25, 30 and 35 lb. dumbbells and I need the 30-pounders, the fact that there are "plenty of other weights available" (everything 20 pounds and below or 40 pounds and up, neither of which suit my needs) doesn't justify hoarding them. If you're talking about a 25 and 35 pound weight plate and there are plenty of them all over the gym, go right ahead.

No. I could almost be done with my sets in 5 minutes, rather than having to stand around for 5 minutes while you're doing lunges, then wait another 5 minutes (or more) for you to finish using the bench. Use whatever equipment you're using at the moment, then wait your turn for whatever else like anybody else would.

I'm with your on all points
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have never been to a gym ... Because of this sort of thing! Bah!

I'd be a weight hoarder :/
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

jemhh wrote: »

What they said.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I've recently switched up my routine (due to a shift in work schedule) and I'm temporarily going to a new gym. My old gym was the one at work where I'm usually the ONLY person there (literally), so I don't have experience with working out with other people around. So I've been doing a dumbbell routine, which is fine for now since I'm not a super heavy lifter anyway, but I'm not sure on free-weight group etiquette.

Thanks for any input!

1. If he is just looking at the mirror but has some distance from the mirror, yes. Otherwise, if you are going to interrupt, no, you need to go around or wait.
    2. No. Unless there are multiple sets of the same weights or if you have e.g. just two sets of weights because you are doing some sort of combination, superset etc and not saving them for later.
    3. Absolutely not.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Yes for 1. Maybe for 2. If you're doing say a compound/super/drop set, but not if you're doing one exercise and holding onto the other ones in anticipation for your next exercise. 3. If I'm running to the bathroom then yes. But if you plan to go onto another machine or go workout somewhere else then definitely not. I've personally taken benches and moved bags when I've seen people do that, they get mad but the owner of my gym 100% stands by me. Either use the bench or clean it off and move on so the next person can. Also, make sure to wipe off your bench and put your weights in the right spot. If I watch someone just put the weights wherever. I walk up, wait till they look at me, pick up the weights and proceed to over enthusiastically put them in the right spot.