New user - questions about weight loss

Options
I just started yesterday and I am finding this easy and fun to use. However, I am confused about the projected weight loss that pops up when you are done with your day. I am given 1200 calories per day to lose 2 pounds a week. Each day I have been under (after tracking and using some exercise calories) but it is saying I should only lose 1 pound per week. I have played around and if I delete some calories (just to see) my projected weight goes down. But if I am under the net calories for the day why is it not giving me the 2 pounds projected loss per week?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Replies

• youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If you're eating back the calories that you've burned during exercise it might have an effect. So if you're allowed 1200 calories and burn 300 additional calories during exercise and decide to "eat back" the 300 calories for a total of 1500 calories consumed, then it could change your projected weight loss.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the default minimum MFP will give you, even if it is more than you would need to lose 2lb per week.

Why?

Because you'll struggle to meet your nutritional needs under 1200 calories.

Unless you have an awful lot to lose, 2lb per week is probably too much. Better to lose weight slower and keep it off than to crash diet and end up regaining it all and then some.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    You may be at a weight/activity level where your Basal Metabolic Rate is really low as it is (mine is low as well), so the 1200 isn't as dramatic a number as it would be to someone with a higher activity level. My BMR (which is essentially my body at rest or doing basic things other than exercise) is just over 1300; I'm set to lose 1 lb a week, and I'm at 1290 calories for that (see what I mean?). A daily of 1200 is only 100 less than what I burn on a lazy day, so my projected weight loss will be slower... unless I bounce up my calorie burning to a higher number for the day, such as the 1300 (at rest) and 400 burned at exercise. Now I've burned 1700, and am able to eat 1200; 500 calorie deficit. Try not to go over that number for the deficit, though.
  • NicoleDavis1977
    NicoleDavis1977 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the quick replies. I am 5'6" and weigh 145. I want to lose 20 or so. I lost my baby weight after baby number 2 but have packed on 15 pounds in the last 2 years.

I was doing weight watchers online but I wasn't sticking to it. I just ordered a fitbit and downloaded MFP so I am excited to try something new.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I ate at 1200 cals a day for over a year I started at 180lbs at 5ft 4in and lost 45lbs.

But I did eat all my exercise calories back. I have been in maintenance since August 2012 and my cals now are 1560 and exercise.

I took it all slow and steady and did the whole MFP goals.

My advice, if you don`t mind me adding it, is to eat your 1200 cals a day and your exercise calories, make sure you add some weights/strengthening otherwise you will just end at a smaller version of yourself with no tone.

Good luck with your goals x
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear.

The pounds on the scale fluctuate because of :

TOM
    Sodium
    New exercise routines, muscles tear and retain water to repair themselves
    Bathroom habits
    If you've consumed ANY food or drink

With so little to lose, I would suggest you set your loss to .5 pounds per week. It is the healthy way to do it.

If you really want to learn, here is some reading:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • ProjectJepo
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Follow this after you have entered your stats in. This includes Exercise calories! Good Luck
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    With only 20 pounds to lose, you should try losing 1 pound a week. ^_^
  • NicoleDavis1977
    Options
    Twinketta - So you ate 1200 plus all your exercise points?

I am also running about 10+ miles per week and doing some strength. I am up to 3.5 miles running atleast twice a week and a few 2 mile runs. I have always been a good exerciser I just eat too much pizza and too many burritos :-) I'm working on that!

Thanks for the responses. I am excited to follow the plan.
  • NicoleDavis1977
    Options
    Oh and thank you for the article. I am on my phone so I just browsed it but I will check it out more later and use the calculator.

Another question... Do you ever have "cheat" days? Do you make up for it with more exercise or just splurge once in a while?
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you set yourself to lose 2 lbs a week, but that puts you under 1200 calories, MFP will default to 1200 for health reasons. Small people CAN eat a net below 1200 but I guess the website doesn't want to be responsible for causing health problems/starvation.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with the estimator - it's not accurate because 1200 calories isn't enough of a deficit to lose 2lbs a week, but it's the lowest it'll go.
    My TDEE-20% is about 1220 if I remember correctly, and MFP gives me the same amount to lose one pound per week as well. However, at 1200 calories per day plus going over on cheat days, I'm still losing about 2lbs a week.

Apparently I'm tiny AND sedentary AND I have enough body fat to "sustain" me on a low cal regiment right now.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    If you set yourself to lose 2 lbs a week, but that puts you under 1200 calories, MFP will default to 1200 for health reasons. Small people CAN eat a net below 1200 but I guess the website doesn't want to be responsible for causing health problems/starvation.

Not to mention hangry *****es that go on killing sprees.
    Another question... Do you ever have "cheat" days? Do you make up for it with more exercise or just splurge once in a while?

The way you "cheat" is entirely up to you. Since you have little to lose, your over all deficit is more important. If you pick one or two days to eat at maintenance, you will still be under for the week.