Please Help!! Could I really have gained 5lbs water weight overnight? Wedding coming up!

BrownieKitty12345
BrownieKitty12345 Posts: 149 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Today I weigh 5lbs more than I did yesterday but also today was the first day I really pushed myself as far as carido and weights. I'm panicked. I have a wedding in 6 weeks and my dress can't be let out anymore.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Any sizable swing in weight like that is most likely water weight. Take a deep breath, and keep moving forward. I've gained up to 3lbs from too much sodium, the same will happen with a new workout routine, or TOM.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    ignore day to day weight variations. look at long term trends.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    If you have really upped your workout routine some could be water. It could also be TOM or extra salt in a meal.

If you are doing a big push exercise wise for the wedding, stop 7-10 days before the wedding so you will drop the extra water. You don't want to be peeing like an elephant the day of the wedding :o

Cheers, h.
  • BrownieKitty12345
    Thanks guys! I was worried I gained all the weight back I lost this week
  • galgenstrick
    Generally everyone gains water weight in two ways. Sodium is an obvious one. The other is if you had a large change in carb intake. Your muscles contain glycogen which binds water, this is depleted with exercise and replenished by eating carbs, causing weight fluctuations.

could also be TOM like everyone else said, or digested food that hasn't been eliminated.

It's not a significant amount of fat, if that's what you're worried about.
  • nutmegoreo
    meow123393 wrote: »

You lost 5lbs this week? Is it your first week?
  • Susiepoop345
    Susiepoop345 Posts: 43 Member
    What is TOM?
  • galgenstrick
    What is TOM?

time of the month
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Water weight, no doubt about it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I assume she meant "gained all the weight back this week that I had lost over the past x weeks".
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I assume she meant "gained all the weight back this week that I had lost over the past x weeks".

Around here, I try to not make too many assumptions. I hope that's what she meant. :smile:
  • BrownieKitty12345
    It's not my time of the month, I just finished a week and half ago. It is week three for me and I've been losing 2-3lbs per week. The only change I've had was doing about 30 mins more of carido and weights today than what I usually do
  • galgenstrick
    edited February 2016
    It's not my time of the month, I just finished a week and half ago. It is week three for me and I've been losing 2-3lbs per week. The only change I've had was doing about 30 mins more of carido and weights today than what I usually do

if your goal is skinnyfat, then that's the way to go I guess...........................................?
  • BrownieKitty12345

if your goal is skinnyfat, then that's the way to go I guess...........................................?

I don't know what that means
  • galgenstrick
    edited February 2016

It means that if you're losing at that rate, you're losing a significant amount of muscle with the fat, and if you're not doing resistance training or eating enough protein, you're losing muscle even faster. The end result, is you'll be lighter, but you'll still look overweight and soft. Basically you'll just look like a smaller version of your current self.
  • BrownieKitty12345
    Oh. I just thought I was losing because I'm so fat and I cut out all my bad fats and most of my sugar. I usually get about 60-80 grams lean protein a day with lean ground turkey, boiled chicken breast, nuts and yogurt. The rest of my diet is slim fast and fresh fruits and veggies. It was a huge change from what I was eating three weeks ago.

As far as exercise goes, I usually get between 6k-8k steps a day (measured with my fitbit) and then I do a 20 min aerobic DVD that includes carido and weight training.

What resistance exercises are good to do?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Your weight can fluctuate 5 pounds from day to day. Don't fret too much as it will change from day to day
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

It means that if you're losing at that rate, you're losing a significant amount of muscle with the fat, and if you're not doing resistance training or eating enough protein, you're losing muscle even faster. The end result, is you'll be lighter, but you'll still look overweight and soft. Basically you'll just look like a smaller version of your current self.

She has a short-term goal of fitting into her wedding dress. The wedding is 6 weeks away.
  • galgenstrick
    If you want to retain muscle while losing weight you need to:

1. be in a deficit (to lose weight)
    2. eat >0.6g of protein per pound of weight per day
    3. do some form of resistance training
    4. cardio is optional, but has great heath benefits and can give you extra calories to eat
  • BrownieKitty12345
    Weight loss is a long term goal for me. My dress fits perfectly but I want to make sure I don't gain weight in the next six weeks