Liquids

Options
I weigh liquids on my food scale, then enter them as grams, or mls if they are available. Is that accurate? I get really confused.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You're better off measuring them by cups. While water = 1 gram per ml, heavier liquids will be more than that, and your figures will get skewed. This especially comes into play if you're following a recipe, because if it says, say 250ml of heavy cream, and you use 250g, you might be shortchanging yourself.

The differences aren't massive, but it's generally the rule that you weigh solids, measure liquids.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Not really, the weight on the scale is calibrated for water. 1ml of water is 1 gram. But different liquids like oil have different densities. Oil is less dense than water (that's why it floats on water). So 1ml of oil will weigh less than 1ml of water. So it's better to measure liquids in a measuring cup.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    But if you use an measuring cup, how do you get exact amounts? mls doesn't always seem like an option when you search foods/drinks
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Honestly it doesn't matter too much. Measure your oils since they're most calorie dense and weighing them will underestimate. You can weigh the rest, I'm guessing the rest is mostly water based anyway.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Honestly it doesn't matter too much. Measure your oils since they're most calorie dense and weighing them will underestimate. You can weigh the rest, I'm guessing the rest is mostly water based anyway.

I think the liquids are milk, water and oil. I don't measure soda because I always get the diet version.