Eating other peoples food

Options
I've started helping out with my sisters kids, and at the drop of a hat, I often end up at her house, often for several hours. She offers me food shes made, and I have no idea what is in it or how much it weighs. When I ask *cough*/interrogate people about what they have put in food, they tend to get annoyed, and rush through or not tell me everything they put in. My mum cooks most of our main meals, so I don't know what shes making either. I feel like I can only track about 65% of what I actually eat because I spend so much time at my sisters house or going out for family meals at restaurants. I don't want to miss all the good food or never eat sushi or gourmet pizza again, but the places we go don't tend to have nutritional information.

I also don't like making recipes up with the calculator on here, because when you use several ingredients and break it up into different servings, how can you possibly know if its accurate? one piece might have more nuts or tomatoes than another or something, unless its the kind of thing that's gone through a food processor.

What do you do when you can't calculate food? is it a regular thing for you?

Should I start preparing, measuring and calculating 100% of my food until I get to my goal weight?

When I was on Weight Watchers, they had rules like, get a smaller plate, eat 10% less than you usually would, drink lots of water etc, maybe thats what I should do when I can't track? the problem is, that its a regular thing, like I'm at my sisters at least 3 days a week. The food she offers is healthy, but I have no idea how to track it. I don't want to reject all of it, it seems like a restrictive, miserable way to live.

Replies

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've started helping out with my sisters kids, and at the drop of a hat, I often end up at her house, often for several hours. She offers me food shes made, and I have no idea what is in it or how much it weighs. When I ask *cough*/interrogate people about what they have put in food, they tend to get annoyed, and rush through or not tell me everything they put in. My mum cooks most of our main meals, so I don't know what shes making either. I feel like I can only track about 65% of what I actually eat because I spend so much time at my sisters house or going out for family meals at restaurants. I don't want to miss all the good food or never eat sushi or gourmet pizza again, but the places we go don't tend to have nutritional information.

I also don't like making recipes up with the calculator on here, because when you use several ingredients and break it up into different servings, how can you possibly know if its accurate? one piece might have more nuts or tomatoes than another or something, unless its the kind of thing that's gone through a food processor.

What do you do when you can't calculate food? is it a regular thing for you?

Should I start preparing, measuring and calculating 100% of my food until I get to my goal weight?

When I was on Weight Watchers, they had rules like, get a smaller plate, eat 10% less than you usually would, drink lots of water etc, maybe thats what I should do when I can't track? the problem is, that its a regular thing, like I'm at my sisters at least 3 days a week. The food she offers is healthy, but I have no idea how to track it. I don't want to reject all of it, it seems like a restrictive, miserable way to live.

Sounds like a good idea to me. But there are 4 other days left in the week to prepare and eat your own food so that you know exactly what goes into it and how to track it.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Don't reject the food your sister offers, but watch your portioning of it. After you've been recording for awhile, you'll be able to better to estimate how much you're eating, and what the caloric intake is. It's not perfect, but you shouldn't have to give up something you love in order to lose weight. If it bothers you and you really can't quite estimate what you're eating, just get one of the little portable jewelry scales that does grams and ounces- they make a great one that's about the size of an iPhone. I just ordered one to take with me when I go to my sister's at the end of the month.

As to recipes, you don't have to make yourself crazy if your portion of dinner had slightly more or less beans in it than you think it might. Just do the best you can and if you find yourself unable to lose weight, cut down your portions a little more.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options

What do you do when you can't calculate food?

I don't eat it. :D Eyes on the prize.

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Sushi is actually really easy to count calorie-wise, unless you're getting some American style deep-fried ones drowned in mayo and barbecue sauce. But even then, you'd just add the extra calories from that on top of the sushi calories.

I'm not an expert in how many calories are in each type of sushi, but the classic ones tend to be the same size and have the same ingredients. Stick with that and you're gonna have a sushi blast.

I'm saying all this because sushi is my favorite food and I advocate for eating all of it...
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Eat a small portion and add your own side salad of lots and lots of veggies.

Sneaky way: Tell her that you are trying to build a recipe box. Fawn over how amazing her cooking is, and ask for the recipe. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    First you don't have to measure everything. Lots of people lose fine just estimating. It's if you can't lose and really don't understand why that it can be useful.

For recipes you make, yeah the recipe builder will never be 100% accurate, if your portion has more meat or pasta or whatnot, but it's still pretty much the best you can do.

For food you eat at other people, honestly I look at the different entries for that type of food and pick the one that looks the closest (depending on how much butter or oil you can see in your dish etc). But I've been at this for 3 years so I'm pretty good at estimating now (I do weigh my food). If your weight isn't moving after a month, you can re-evaluate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the recipe builder may involve some estimation, but it's bound -- for me anyway -- to be much more accurate that the estimation I'll do on my own.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I bring my scale to my Mom's. Her food tends to be all individual things, rather than foods for which I'd need the recipe builder, so it works well for me.
  • stachesquatch
    stachesquatch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue every Sunday when I go to visit my Mom. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and is always on some diet. It was Ornish, then Atkins for a while, then Bernstein, now I think it is keto. I never seem to know what to expect in terms of ingredients. I tried to track it all for a while then spent a couple years just assuming 2000cal for those dinners. In fact if you look at my diary you'll see most Sundays are blank. Over time I have been building up a database of her recipes though. I never interrogate though. I ask about and for the recipe. "Hey mom do you have the recipe for that? May I see it? I thought it was good/unique/interesting and I want to write it down so I can remember what's in it!" I've found that most people are delighted to share their recipes if I'm interested in something about the recipe. You can even use it as an opportunity to connect with those people. I also feel better knowing that I can join the meal without imposing or stressing.

Will the recipe you put into mfp be perfect? No, but that is ok. I don't view this as a temporary thing. I'm relearning how to eat for the long haul. As such we're constantly learning and constantly calibrating our measures. Being off by 20 cals today is better than approximating and being off by 200 cals yesterday, which is itself, better than not knowing at all and downing 2000 cals at dinner last week. We're not going to be perfect, so don't focus on being perfect every time. Just focus on doing it just little better each time. Also I'm more concerned with long term averages. It might have more nuts in it this time but there is as much a chance that it will have less next time. So on average the recipe should be close enough. If there is something that you know will throw you off, and I mean you have documentation that shows your loss is stalled when you eat that.. You can always suddenly find yourself "stuffed to the gills" about 3/4 of the way through and stop without offending anyone. If 3/4 is still too much, cut back a little more next time.

As for eating out... I eat out a lot and I happen to love sushi. My suggestion? Stick to the common rolls. Philadelphia rolls, California rolls, those are usually safe and we'll documented. Look up rolls on the menu and see if you can find an equivalent in mfp. If the Philly roll at your sushi place looks about the same as the Philly roll at the grocery, then you're golden, just assume it has the same nutritional facts. If you really want to explore the dark corners of the menu or if your grocery stores don't have sushi counters, have your sushi at one meal -assume 350cals per roll (700 for saucey crunchy rolls)- and eat absolutely known quantity foods (it'll take time to find these) for your other meals that day and just see what happens. If you don't lose, then you know to go with simpler sushi or less sushi. Experiment like that till you find the right amount of sushi for you. If you leave hungry from a sushi lunch every time, you could supplement with sashimi. That seems to be intense enough to fill the black hole in my stomach. -I went in once and ordered 700 calories of sashimi. They brought out a plate full of just raw fish. It took two days before I was hungry again. I still shudder at the though of it.- Same plan goes with pizza. I like to approximate based off the closest similar slice from a large chain delivery place and then I stick with known foods for the rest of the day and I'll see what happens. Will one messed up meal stall my weight loss? Maybe for a day or two, but with time and experimentation I've learned that I can usually get away with two slices and nothing else at the meal or a slice and a salad.

Finally as to prepping measuring 100% of your food till you hit goal, I have 2 questions. Is that practical for you? It totally is for many folks, but is it for your situation? What happens once you hit goal weight? Presumably one doesn't just stop counting calories. We just change the number of calories that we're counting too.

That's my $0.02 anyway

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If this is the way you've always eaten, and you were gaining weight doing so, then something has to change. One option is to take more control over what you eat so you can know the details. Another is to eat smaller portions of those things. The second option can work, but may take a bit of trial & error to figure out if its working for you. You can also look to increase your activity/exercise, in order to burn more calories and help offset the calories in.

Ultimately there are many things you can do. Its up to you to choose if losing weight is something you want enough. If it happened by taking the easiest route possible, we wouldn't have gained weight in the first place!
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would either just start packing my own food. Or offer to help in the prep to know what went into it. Or tell your family you are really trying to watch your weight and not to take it personally if you want to know how many calories is in something. Many times if they have used a recipe on the internet the calories are already posted or you can copy the ingredients into the calorie estimator. After you do this for a few month you begin to gain an awareness of how many cals are in things.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    In those situations I guess to the best of my ability. I ask for the recipe and then I put it in to mfp realizing that it won't be 100% accurate, but it will be much more accurate than not logging it at all. When I go to restaurants that don't have nutritional info available then I find the info for a similar restaurant and use that. I measure most of my food, but there are times when you just can't do that. I'm not going to carry my food scale with me every where I go, and I am not going to never eat at someone else's house or at a restaurant ever again in my whole life. If I only eat things that I have measured and know 100% that my measurements are accurate then that will be a food lifestyle I will not be able to maintain when I am done losing weight. So when I am home I measure and when I am not I make the best guess I possibly can. So far I am down 27 pounds so that seems to be working for me.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    First you don't have to measure everything. Lots of people lose fine just estimating. It's if you can't lose and really don't understand why that it can be useful.

For recipes you make, yeah the recipe builder will never be 100% accurate, if your portion has more meat or pasta or whatnot, but it's still pretty much the best you can do.

For food you eat at other people, honestly I look at the different entries for that type of food and pick the one that looks the closest (depending on how much butter or oil you can see in your dish etc). But I've been at this for 3 years so I'm pretty good at estimating now (I do weigh my food). If your weight isn't moving after a month, you can re-evaluate.

Very well said. It's all an estimation, even when you are weighing raw carrots at home. Some estimates have more margin for error is all. Do your best estimate in all settings. It's all any of us can do. It will even out. If it doesn't (i.e. your progress is less than you intended), then adjust. Stick with it, and it will work for you!