Anything Egg

Options
Darton2010
Darton2010 Posts: 137 Member
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for good, healthy and yummy ways to use eggs, I have lots of chickens and am floating in eggs, I sell what I can not eat and that pays for the chickens themselves and some. So being there basically free eggs, I made egg a large staple in my diet to cut down on food bills. So if you have a really good recipe let me know. Thanks

John

Replies

• Akronite2025
    Akronite2025 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mexican Potato Omelet

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 red-skinned potato (6 ounces), well scrubbed, halved, and thinly sliced
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    8 large eggs
    1 1/4 cups plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 2 tomatoes)
    1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (2 ounces)
    2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
    DIRECTIONS

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 10-inch broiler-proof skillet over medium-low heat. Add potato, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and all but 1 tablespoon of the scallions; season with salt and pepper and cook 1 minute.
    In a large bowl, beat eggs until well combined. Add 1/4 cup each tomato and cheese; stir to combine. Add remaining oil to pan, and pour egg mixture over the potatoes.
    Preheat broiler with rack 4 inches from the heat. Meanwhile, cook eggs on the stovetop, lifting the edges to allow uncooked egg to flow underneath, until the center is almost set, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over the top, then broil in the oven until set, about 2 minutes.
    In a small bowl, make a salsa by combining the remaining tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, and lime juice. Run a metal spatula around the edges of the pan and slide the omelette onto a platter. Serve cut into wedges with salsa.
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Egg Casserole

Ingredients

Dozen Eggs (8 whites & 4 whole eggs)
    Veggies, cooked (optional, whatever you like. Just make sure there is no liquid with them at all.)
    Meat, cooked (optional, same as veggies. No liquid.)
    Shredded Cheese (Whatever you like.)
    1/2 Cup Lo-Fat cottage cheese
    Whatever herb, spices you prefer plus a little salt & pepper.

Pre-heat the oven to 350.
    Beat eggs, herbs/spices, salt & pepper plus the cottage cheese until "fluffy".
    Arrange the other ingredients in a 9x13 pan that you've lightly sprayed with non-stick spray.
    Gently pour the egg mixture over top and put directly into the oven for 20 minutes.
    When you do open the oven, be careful. You want to keep the mixture fluffy so open slowly.
    Let the casserole cool and divide into six pieces.

This is one of those that you can make as healthy as you want. I routinely just open some canned mushrooms, some chopped turkey ham, and no more than a quarter cup of cheese that goes about 160 calories per serving. I think that's pretty good for an egg dish. I use salsa on top.

You have to make sure the meat and veggies have no extra liquid or the casserole won't set up. Also, this recipe stores well in the fridge for several days and can be re-heated in a microwave quickly.

If you have a lot of eggs, you can use this recipe for large groups too. I've made it for family without telling them it's low cal and they love it. I've also made it without just eggs and it's good that way too.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Try making pickled eggs.

1. Hardboil the eggs & shell them. Put them into a jar.
    2. Heat up white vinegar, water and spices. I use dill, garlic and onion as my spices and about 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water.
    3. Pour the warm vinegar mix over your eggs and let them soak for 2-3 days before eating.

Pickled eggs can last up to a month in the fridge.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/shakshouka.html

or google shakshouka and find other variants to this dish.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I know this will not use them up very fast but I love Egg Drop Soup or Greek Lemon Avgolemono Soup. In the first the egg makes nice ribbons. In the second it make the soup creamy. So good! Here are some recipes I have made.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/egg-drop-soup.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/crab-and-corn-soup.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/06/lemon-chicken-orzo-soup.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/10/lemon-chicken-and-vegetable-soup.html
  • Darton2010
    Darton2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, looks like I have some cooking todo lol
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs
    Fried eggs
    Poached eggs
    Hard boiled eggs
    Soft boiled eggs
    Sunny side up eggs
    Deviled eggs
    Omelet eggs
    Baked eggs
    Quiche eggs
    Curried eggs
    Egg salad eggs

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Chicken Fried Rice with any type of veggies. Maybe try broccoli or cauliflower.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Oh this looks tasty.
  • damiarhan
    damiarhan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just made stuffed baked potatoes tonight. Hollowed out baked potato(save the potato to mash with dinner another night) stuffed with spinach (or kale) sautéed onion, garlic and turkey bacon, top with an egg and fat free cheddar cheese. Bam! Healthy and delicious!
    ihgntysoguv4.jpeg
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    the potato and the fritatta look just plain bangin' good!
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Great thread...aren't you lucky to have so many eggs at your disposal!
    I guess when I have a surplus I tend to make quiche. Delicious hot or cold and you can add almost anything to the custard (good way to use up leftovers)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Cut an avocado in half. Scoop a little bit out of the center. Crack an egg into the avocado, sprinkle a little srirachi on top and bake until egg is done.

A slice of multi grain/whole wheat toast. Spread avocado on toast, top with sliced hard boiled egg. Season to taste.

Eggs baked in muffin tin. Add any ingredients you like to egg mixture (veggies, meats, plain). Bake until done. These freeze really well for a quick breakfast.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Give them to me. Seriously.

I have been making egg "muffins."
    Mix 4-6 eggs, splash of milk, splash of cream, frozen veggies (broccoli, spinach or mixed peppers all work great), and some shredded cheese.
    Pour it in a lined and greased jumbo muffin pan. No matter how much I spray the pan, they always stick. Next time I am definitely using liners for sure.
    Bake 20-25 minutes at 400. Or until the tops look set.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    edited February 2016
    Options
    damiarhan wrote: »
    Just made stuffed baked potatoes tonight. Hollowed out baked potato(save the potato to mash with dinner another night) stuffed with spinach (or kale) sautéed onion, garlic and turkey bacon, top with an egg and fat free cheddar cheese. Bam! Healthy and delicious!
    ihgntysoguv4.jpeg

OMG THOSE LOOK AMAZING
    (also, great way to make 2 different recipes with one ingredient. I try to do that as much as I can.)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Pancakes, chocolate sauce, ice cream. Job done....
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    rhaiin wrote: »
    Try making pickled eggs.

1. Hardboil the eggs & shell them. Put them into a jar.
    2. Heat up white vinegar, water and spices. I use dill, garlic and onion as my spices and about 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water.
    3. Pour the warm vinegar mix over your eggs and let them soak for 2-3 days before eating.

Pickled eggs can last up to a month in the fridge.

I never would have thought about pickled eggs, but that sounds really good. I think I'm going to try these soon.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Eggs I swear, are the most versatile natural protein on the planet. To save your surplus eggs I suggest making up batches of egg muffins, wrap them well, and put them in the freezer.

I suggest you find yourself an old farmer's wife cookbook. They will have found more ways to use eggs than you can shake a stick at.

Besides what's been mentioned above, there's angel food cake, Pavlova, meringues, flapper pie, soufflé, and hollandaise sauce. For any baking calling for one egg, put in two.