Why am I not losing weight?

Options
Hey everyone, I am trying to find out why I am not losing any weight. Ive given all my details below. If anybody could help me that would be great!

Female
5ft 5
10 Stone (my goal is 8 and a half stone)
20 years old.

I have been using MyFitnessPal app and been having 1200 calories (and the right amount of fat, sugar etc). I have been healthy eating for a month.

I walk for an hour each day (30 mintutes to work and 30 mintutes back from work) and I am doing the 30 day shred every morning and I am now on level 2. (Saturday is my rest day however) I have been doing this for 3 weeks and the week before that I done zumba.

I do have a office job which is 9 till 5 which means of course, between these hours im very inactive.

Is it possible for someone to advice me what I am doing wrong and maybe give me hints or tips? I havent lost weight but I seem to be toning up and fitness has improved.

Replies

• QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Make sure you weigh all your food on a food scale and measure only liquids. Don't log solid food in cups, log them in grams, and log liquids in mililitre or cups.

If you are sure that you are doing the above correctly (that is, weighing ALL your food), then it could be that you might be retaining water if you are new to your exercise regime. In that case, drink a lot of water and be patient. Use a tape measure instead of the scale.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Good advice from the poster above - 8 stone would only just be in the healthy range, so if you find you have been under logging then you might want a higher calorie allowance. 1200 is quite aggressive for someone already in the healthy range with not much to lose.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Your plan looks good, but since you don't have a lot of weight to lose it will be harder.
    I would advise you to focus on getting fitter and healthier and not too much on the number on the scale.
    Your body will keep changing for better! I know from my personal experience, I had similar stats when I started.
    angerelle wrote: »
    1200 is quite aggressive for someone already in the healthy range with not much to lose.
    According to her stats her BMR is around 1450 kcal per day, the only way she can create a deficit is eating 1200. It's not agressive, the smaller your weight and height, the smaller your BMR will be, which means you will have to eat even less calories to lose weight.

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise calories back? If so, what percentage do you eat back?
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »
    Your plan looks good, but since you don't have a lot of weight to lose it will be harder.
    I would advise you to focus on getting fitter and healthier and not too much on the number on the scale.
    Your body will keep changing for better! I know from my personal experience, I had similar stats when I started.
    1200 is quite aggressive for someone already in the healthy range with not much to lose.
    According to her stats her BMR is around 1450 kcal per day, the only way she can create a deficit is eating 1200. It's not agressive, the smaller your weight and height, the smaller your BMR will be, which means you will have to eat even less calories to lose weight.

Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.

So if 1450 calories is her BMR it would be the amount her body needs if she were in a coma.

1200 is very aggressive, but doable and if you're comfortable with it, whatevs.

Now you're doing 'The Shred' as I call it. This has some weights and body weight exercises. This WILL lead your body to retain water to repair the tissues. Nothing you can do about it except drink more water.
    In addition, I lost almost 0 weight(a whopping .6 pounds) doing 'The Shred' at a reasonably healthy weight. However, I DID lose inches and my clothes fit better. So drop the whole weight idea and go with photos, measurements, and how your clothes fit.

Weigh all your food on a food scale, measure out all your liquids. Be as accurate as possible and be patient. With strength training it can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks for the water retention to 'even out' and for you to see real loss.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »

You're meant to eat at a deficit from your TDEE, not your BMR (TDEE at sedentary for someone 10stone would be about 1670). I agree with @angerelle - 1200 is a bit aggressive with 2 stone to lose. I don't know how long you've been following your current plan, but give it time. As you build up the intensity of your workout, your muscles will hold onto some extra fluid, which may keep your weight up.

If you're logging your food properly, the weight will come off eventually (science says so!)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Specify weight in pounds. What are your macros (probably incorrect).
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    huwbdgc0cvgr.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Tape Measure

That is all
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I am hoping it is water retention. I have only just started using the forum so I am sorry if I do sound a bit stupid :/ I eat about 20% of my exercise calories back. I am happy with 1200 calories. I dont feel hungry with it and still have energy all the time and can think properly. By the way guys I want to get to 8 stone 7 pounds not 8 stone so I have 1 stone and 7 pounds to lose which is a healthy BMI still for me :)