Fatigue?

Options
I've started doing double my normal amount of exercise, because I really want to improve my endurance. The only problem I have is my legs aching and cramping with fatigue every night, and it keeps me awake all night. Is there anything I can do to calm them the heck down?

Might be a silly question, but will painkillers help? I do make sure to stretch well after the workouts, it's not doing much though, because this isn't the same pain I get from muscle soreness.

Replies

• erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Go back to your normal regimen and then slowly increase it until you're at double what you were doing
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    Go back to your normal regimen and then slowly increase it until you're at double what you were doing

This.

Anything can be built to. Give your body time to adapt to the new volume by increasing it bit-by-bit.

As your work capacity rises, your recovery will build too.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've started doing double my normal amount of exercise, because I really want to improve my endurance. The only problem I have is my legs aching and cramping with fatigue every night, and it keeps me awake all night. Is there anything I can do to calm them the heck down?

Might be a silly question, but will painkillers help? I do make sure to stretch well after the workouts, it's not doing much though, because this isn't the same pain I get from muscle soreness.

It sounds like your body needs some more time to adapt. Doubling it straight up was possibly a bit ambitious.

Have you tried soaking in a bath with Epsom salts? It might relieve some of the cramping. Make sure you're hydrating and fueling your body sufficiently for the increase in activity too.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Perhaps working up to greater endurance levels would be prudent instead of hitting the x2 button suddenly. Perhaps the double upped exercise is to blame. It's the obvious culprit for your fatigue.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you'll get plenty of rest while you recover from the injury you're forcing yourself to have
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You have another post where you claim to be under eating; this sounds like a recipe for disaster.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    You have another post where you claim to be under eating; this sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Well this is a plot twist. Why the low eating and doubled up exercise, OP? Because those are two huge red flags for eventual injury, sickness and/or ED behaviour.
  • quzzdragon
    quzzdragon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Agree with above - work your way slowly up to doubling your exercise. If you still experience aching/cramping try a heating pad. Doubling right away is a good way to injure yourself. If you notice swelling, ice might help more than heat, but for cramping heat will help sooth. If you don't have a heating pad try a soothing, long, hot shower or a wet washcloth, rung out and heated in the microwave until it's warm.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I do? Which one is that? The one I made that said weighing my food has taught me that I overestimate calories? If so, I have figured that out long before I started exercising.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.