HELP WITH WEIGHTS!!

Options
ChloeJoanneSmith
ChloeJoanneSmith Posts: 62 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all

I’ve been wanting to take weights a bit more seriously for a while now as I’ve been at my gym for a good 6 months or so. At the moment I feel as though I don’t really know exactly what I’m doing with anything but the weight machines, especially when it comes to leg exercises. I was hoping someone who does know what they’re doing in regard to posture & correct sets/reps etc. would be able to recommend a website or something??

I don’t just want to Google these things & start doing them in the gym and them be completely wrong haha.

Replies

• AshetteKetchum
    AshetteKetchum Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com

There are tons of programs, videos, articles, community, etc. Can't go wrong there.
    If not, perhaps look into getting a trainer or someone who knows about weightlifting at your gym.
    I would love to help you, unfortunately I'm not very good and explaining things over the internet lol. I started at 38% body fat, and down to 20% now. I can honestly tell you, that you won't regret starting it. I'm competing in my first show this September, so still have a lot of work to do. It will be hard and frustrating sometimes, and you will get sore, but the results are well worth it.
  • ChloeJoanneSmith
    ChloeJoanneSmith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com

There are tons of programs, videos, articles, community, etc. Can't go wrong there.
    If not, perhaps look into getting a trainer or someone who knows about weightlifting at your gym.
    I would love to help you, unfortunately I'm not very good and explaining things over the internet lol. I started at 38% body fat, and down to 20% now. I can honestly tell you, that you won't regret starting it. I'm competing in my first show this September, so still have a lot of work to do. It will be hard and frustrating sometimes, and you will get sore, but the results are well worth it.

Had a quick look on the website and it's very helpful!! Thank you!!
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use the fitness buddy or full fitness app on iPhone, plug in what exercise your doing and it will show you a demonstration on what exactly to do and how to do it. It also tracks how many reps and the weight you do per workout so it's easier to see gains or build your own workout.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I believe bodybuilding.com does have the Starting Strength routine on there, that is a great beginner program. Another good choice would be stronglifts.com. Both will provide guidance on rep/set ranges, when to progress, when to reduce weight, and when to do what exercises.

For form, both of those resources have lots of great information, once you know what lifts you are doing you can also look at youtube for more video information, but keep in mind what you read on those two websites. If what they say in a youtube video looks questionable then there is a chance it is a bad video by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. Mark Rippetoe has some good videos on youtube (I think with Art of Manliness) that are worth checking out.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I second the stronglifts recommendation, its what I used. You could ask a trainer at the gym to show you around the free weights section, its part of their job and should be free to you. Also, you can google different lifts if you don't know proper form and look at pictures and videos. I found this to be helpful for my form with dead lifts.
  • nancykvolk5678
    nancykvolk5678 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The fitness pal won’t show how to do exercises! It showed me the first 2 but won’t show me the rest
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,145 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forums, @nancykvolk5678! You responded to a thread that hasn't seen action in 8 years, but that's ok, the information is still relevant. What fitness pal are you referring? My Fitness Pal?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer to get started. Stay with that person long enough to get the hang of it.After that follow up maybe once a month.