All things chickpea

Options
quzzdragon
quzzdragon Posts: 140 Member
I don't really like beans - EXCEPT chickpeas. They're so simple. So tasty. So healthy. So I wanted to share a few of my favorite chickpea recipes with you wonderful people:

Chickpea Sandwich filling. Needs a bit of spicy brown mustard to give it a little kick, but otherwise tastes a little like tuna fish salad. Definitely a keeper:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16715/vegetarian-chickpea-sandwich-filling/

Baked chickpeas. If you're ever craving potato chips, make these bad boys. You can flavor them however you want (not just salt and pepper). I loved lemon pepper, old bay, cayenne, and basically anything else I've tried. Just put your favorite flavors on, bake, and you're set. Just don't forget to dry your chickpeas ahead of time - super important. You do need to give them a drop of olive oil or a quick spray with cooking oil to help the flavoring stick.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/81548/roasted-chickpeas/

And finally - a great summer hit for large parties - Greek chickpea and couscous salad. Also great with kalamata olives if you're going for an even more Greek feel.
+1 box small couscous (any flavor you prefer, though original works great)
+1 can black olives (drained and halved)
+1 package cherry tomatoes (halved)
+1 package feta cheese
+1 can Garbanzo beans (chickpeas - drained and rinsed)
+ Gazebo Room Greek Dressing to taste (approximately 1/4 - 1/2 cup)
+1 Green onion - sliced as garnish

What's your favorite chickpea dish?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just made chickpea burgers to freeze and microwave later. They are about 212 calories each.

Ingredients:
    Cooked chickpeas, no liquid--500g
    bread crumbs 180g
    4 eggs
    grated cheese 120g
    mustard
    1 onion
    a little celery, parsely, garlic finely chopped
    salt and pepper

Mix in a mixer. In preheated oven 350° place a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, with the chickpea mixture on top in patties formed with a spoon. Bake until browned on top. I made 12 big ones with this recipe. Today I'm freezing them for quick meals in the microwave.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Has to be crispy roasted chickpeas for snacking at work.

1 tin of chickpeas
    3 tbsp of chilli powder
    2 tbsp of smoked paprika

Then roast for 30 or until crisp.

So simple to make and not to mentions great for the macros. Lots of variations of this too, I choose to leave out the oil to reduce fat..
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You have to pinch off the skin first before your roast them right? I keep wanting to do it but intimidated by the "hassle" of removing the skins.
  • quzzdragon
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    You have to pinch off the skin first before your roast them right? I keep wanting to do it but intimidated by the "hassle" of removing the skins.

I've done it both ways - with and without the "skin." Removing the skin is a hassle but if you do, they bake a little easier without the skin. You can bake them with it on, though.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hummus is my favorite use of chick peas. My second favorite dish (and it is more a meal; just needs a green side) is http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roast-chicken-breasts-with-garbanzo-beans-tomatoes-and-paprika

• quzzdragon
    Options
    I tried a bruchetta version of hummus - basically the same ratio of chick peas and tahini, but you add garlic, tomato, and basil. Add them until you get to the desired consistency and flavor. :D
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I totally agree with you about chick pea, one of the best beans on the market is sold at Trader Joe's @ $0.99 per can and they are organic cooked with sea salt - not as salty as Goya brand.

Chick peas smoothie with frozen banana, sunflower seed butter or cashew butter, organic spring mix and carrot juice - all plant based and very filling
    Chick peas scrambled instead of using real eggs
    Chick peas and potato curry
    Stewed chick peas soaked and then cooked in pressure cooker for 30 minutes with olive oil, red onions, tomatoes, garlic and herbs
  • hmoss619
    hmoss619 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Salt and vinegar is delicious flavoring for the roasted chickpeas for snack!! I've also done balsamic vinegar.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    quzzdragon wrote: »
    I tried a bruchetta version of hummus - basically the same ratio of chick peas and tahini, but you add garlic, tomato, and basil. Add them until you get to the desired consistency and flavor. :D

I've played with a lot of different flavors when making Hummus. I have used garlic, roasted pepper, sundried toms, caramelized onions and I don't know what all else. But I tell you, I don't think I would have ever tried basil in there...I gotta ask, how was it?
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Falafel! If you have a food processor and plan ahead (to soak the beans), it's an incredibly easy (and cheap) meal.
  • waterbyrde
    waterbyrde Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The Kitchn has a recipe for a chickpea casserole that's surprisingly good. Flavored with lemon zest and parmesan cheese.

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-chickpea-casserole-with-137473
  • quzzdragon
    Options
    I've played with a lot of different flavors when making Hummus. I have used garlic, roasted pepper, sundried toms, caramelized onions and I don't know what all else. But I tell you, I don't think I would have ever tried basil in there...I gotta ask, how was it?

It was delicious! Basil, tomato, and garlic - can't go wrong. It was very bruschetta-y :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love this super simple Chana Saag and it freezes well.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the chana saag recipe and website - will explore more later.
  • beersnobgirl
    beersnobgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to have tk try out roasting chickpeas. Balela salad is almost always in my fridge:

Http://allrecipes.com/recipe/218648/balela-salad/
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Curried Chickpea and Vegetable Stew

2 [16 oz] cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    1 [14.5 oz] can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1/2 [16oz] package of frozen bell pepper and onions stir-fry
    1/4 cup water
    4 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    1 [5 or 6 oz] package of fresh baby spinach

Combine first 7 ingredients in a 4 quart slow cooker; stir well. Cover and cook on high for 3-1/2 hours. Add spinach; cover and cook 10 minutes or until spinach wilts. Serve.

4 servings [1-1/4 cups]
    NI cal 218/fat 3.7/fiber 10.8

This was very very good!!!! I served it with couscous that I made with chicken broth instead of water.
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I do chickpea and cauliflower curry as a staple meal in the winter but my fave way to eat chickpeas (other than hummus) is salad.

1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    1-2 avocados, pitted, and chopped
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons green onion (I used red onion)
    1/3 cup feta cheese
    Juice of 1 lime
    Salt and black pepper, to taste
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I make a Curry Chickpea Salad for sandwiches (my hubby who hates chickpeas, but loves this will eat it with crackers)

1 can of chickpeas drained and rinsed, and mashed
    1 small onion diced
    2 celery stalks - chopped
    mayo
    tumeric
    black pepper
    curry
    cayenne pepper

add everything to a bowl with the mashed chickpeas - from the mayo down, as much or as little as you like to suit your own taste. I love curry, so I add a ton!

I think that I may try a similar recipe this upcoming weekend - except I will try it with some different seasonings, and maybe add hot sauce or wing sauce! :)