Food addiction

Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Because step one is realizing that "No, she's not addicted to sugar".

Not necessarily. IF she were saying "I can't lose weight because I'm addicted to sugar" that might be true. But she is not doing that. She asking for suggestions on how to break the addiction, obsession, dependence, seemingly uncontrollable cravings, whatever. In this case, how is pointing out that you think she's misusing a term helpful?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is the love of my life. But unfortunately something clicks in my brain and all of a sudden, 1 chocolate chip cookie has turned into 10. I'm active, healthy but overweight and this has been the battle of my life. I start every day healthily and end in disaster. Sugar is a terrible addiction, I feel like I will never be able to kick the habit. Anyone know what it takes to get over the hump? I'm thinking purging all sugary stuff but that wouldn't be fair to my kids. Help!

I had addiction like issues with sugars. Carbs in general seemed to prime me for wanting more sugar, and i had a very hard time trying to moderate sugars. i failed at it more often than not.

I eventually switched to a a very low carb diet and that helped within days. If I had none of my old sugary treats, and limit carbs, my cravings are gone. Will power doesn't get used at all any more. It was quite freeing. Plus I can have sugar in the house and barely bat an eye. If I try just a bite, that's a whole other story...

The hardest part was thinking of giving up foods. It took my many months before I would commit.

Hope you find an answer.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Whether "addiction" is the "correct" term or not, isn't all that important to me, neither what other people who have totally different experiences, think my experiences are and what I should feel and do; the most important thing for me is to do the things that work for me. Not reading threads about "food addiction" is one of them. Sadly, I'm addicted to reading threads about "food addiction".
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I am a sugar-holic. I've become pre-diabetic so I've been extremely careful lately. Sugar has been shown to have the same chemical reaction in the brain as cocaine does so yes it's extremely addictive. Personally I have to keep it out of the house as much as possible, and if I want ice cream or a treat I go out and buy one single cone or one chocolate bar. If I have to leave the house to get it 99% of the time I won't go because it's too much hassle.

No, the chemical reaction is not the same as cocaine:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10218216/sugar-and-carb-addiction-addiction/p1
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I am a sugar-holic. I've become pre-diabetic so I've been extremely careful lately. Sugar has been shown to have the same chemical reaction in the brain as cocaine does so yes it's extremely addictive. Personally I have to keep it out of the house as much as possible, and if I want ice cream or a treat I go out and buy one single cone or one chocolate bar. If I have to leave the house to get it 99% of the time I won't go because it's too much hassle.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10218216/sugar-and-carb-addiction-addiction/p1

It doesn't matter if food or sugar is addictive in this thread. Doesn't help to read debates about. Strategies on how to overcome it have helped me greatly. The debates set me back. There are many others here that think the same.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    [quote="It doesn't matter if food or sugar is addictive in this thread. Doesn't help to read debates about. Strategies on how to overcome it have helped me greatly. The debates set me back. There are many others here that think the same. [/quote]

AGREED.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is the love of my life. But unfortunately something clicks in my brain and all of a sudden, 1 chocolate chip cookie has turned into 10. I'm active, healthy but overweight and this has been the battle of my life. I start every day healthily and end in disaster. Sugar is a terrible addiction, I feel like I will never be able to kick the habit. Anyone know what it takes to get over the hump? I'm thinking purging all sugary stuff but that wouldn't be fair to my kids. Help!

As others have pointed out, I believe that there are a lot of things that steer us toward those comforting foods like chocolate chip cookies. I don't personally believe that sugar, or any food substance, is a physical addiction for the scientific reasons mentioned above. I do understand that there are a lot of factors that tempt us to eat more than we intend to eat at certain times, and that can feel like it is something out of our control similar to an addiction.

You've gotten some good suggestions about eliminating the temptation (permanently or temporarily), prelogging the food, buying single servings of the food that tempts you, or looking for alternatives that you are better able to moderate without feeling like you have to over do it. It really is a personal decision but for me, knowing that I could never have something sweet again would only make me want it more. It would make me feel out of control and that the food itself had all the power, and that's not something that I personally think is a healthy mindset.

I prefer to allow for a small treat on a regular basis. If the chocolate chip cookie is too hard to stop at one, try a different sweet treat. A piece of really dark chocolate - not as sweet, not usually something that people tend to overeat - I have one pretty much every day. I also really like Chobani Flips - they have a lot which are more like dessert and at about 200 calories, those make a nice afternoon snack for me and it has some protein in it. Then when I am pondering hitting the ice cream after dinner I think, "well, I already had something sweet today, maybe just a glass of wine instead". ;)

Good luck OP - and definitely give the threads linked above about food addiction a read, there are some great perspectives in there.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Because step one is realizing that "No, she's not addicted to sugar".

Here here. I'm sure anyone who is actually addicted to something, like alcohol, or heroin, or cocaine, would be upset that their life-threatening addiction could be equated to wanting lots of sweets. No one is going to jail for smuggling cookies or selling their bodies for another hit of pie.

Regarding that urge to keep going-I do understand. I have a hard time stopping at one, because they usually taste so damn good! Plus, I know I'm in trouble to "eat my emotions" if I get something unhealthy for me when I'm upset or stressed. It takes time to practice doing something healthy in response to emtions, rather than the ol' standby. Like going for a walk or playing with a pet.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yep, we can debate sugar addiction all day long.

I actually have several things that I am addicted to food wise. It is not sugar, but I do declare I am a FOODIE all day every day. As a matter of fact I had to get rid of the things in my house that set me back, and I am not one of those to get in the car to go buy it..

Just have to kick the old brain in gear and make tough choices to eat it or not eat and if you can't control it, get out of the house!!
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sugar addiction is tough, some studies show it's tougher than drug habits because you can't avoid it, it's legal, it's everywhere, and in most cases it comes in very convenient packages.
    I know you said you have kids, and you don't want them to have to go without, but what I've found that works for me, is simply not having it in the house, that way if I want something sweet, or "bad" I have to go out and get it, and I'll get it in a single serving, not a family sized bag.
    This could work with your kids too, try keeping fruit and veggies cut up and ready, and if there's really an urge for a cookie, or other sweet, take the time to take the trip to go get it.
    They'll probably like the fruit, and you can always get some dark chocolate, and do chocolate covered fruit, it's delicious and way more nutritionally sound that 10 chocolate chip cookies!

You can do it!
    Good luck!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »

It doesn't matter if food or sugar is addictive in this thread. Doesn't help to read debates about. Strategies on how to overcome it have helped me greatly. The debates set me back. There are many others here that think the same.

Hence I referred the person to a thread on the subject rather than go on about it here, after I was the first person to discuss strategies.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    There are several strategies to deal with problem foods.
    Some people just eliminate them and don't keep them in their house. I think as a start while building dietary momentum it can help, but I think ultimately, permanently removing food for non-medical or non-ethical reasons is perpetuating an emotionally unhealthy relationship with food. There is some evidence that such restrictions lead to increased cravings because a person is making a food a greater and greater reward as now it isn't just the food, but the sensation of self-determination, not having to obey rules, even if they are rules you set on yourself.
    Some people find that pre-logging their entire day, including exact numbers of snacks helps, i.e., "I have 1 cookie today at noon, 1 before bed, and tomorrow I can do the same! There will always be cookies! Yum."
    Some find that taking snacks and repackaging them into individual servings helps, i.e. "I'm opening the cookie package. I get to eat the whole thing!"

I thought this response was worth repeating...

It gives some strategies to deal with problem foods and at the same time provokes thoughts as to relationships with food.

OP...as far as not wanting to deprive your children of sweets there are some things that you might want to try. Buy them treats that don't tempt you. Maybe instead of keeping such things in the house...have a treat night where you either go out for a treat or pick something up at the store to bring home. Of course this depends on their age but maybe you could turn it in to family night.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    akern1987 wrote: »
    Sugar addiction is tough, some studies show it's tougher than drug habits because you can't avoid it, it's legal, it's everywhere, and in most cases it comes in very convenient packages.

This kind of post, as well as the assertions that sugar is too just like cocaine and has the exact same chemical reaction (without an understanding of what the reaction is and what else causes it) and has been proven to be this or that, is why these threads end up as debates about the term "addiction." People (often me) feel compelled to correct the misinformation.

I won't do that here -- it's been done well upthread -- but I did want to point out why it happens.

Anyway, for the OP, like many others I can relate to experiencing a lack of control around consumption at times. What helped me was not to focus on the food as the cause, but to think about when it happened. What I realized is that for me I would eat at certain times and in certain circumstances and when I did I would overconsume (being stressed, tired, at work and telling myself "it's been a difficult day I deserve it" would all play into this). What mostly helped me was to break the habit of doing that by not snacking. I might have something sweet, but after a meal, in a measured amount, and never, never eating from a bag.

A lot of it, for me, was mindless eating too, so I don't do that. I try to pay attention to the foods I eat, not eat as a supplement to some other activity (like working or watching TV), and--again--eat at planned times and from a plate or bowl.

If there are specific items that you find more difficult not to over-indulge and others that are less tempting (typically the case, and why "sugar" usually is not the issue), then I think it's totally fair to remove the more difficult ones from your house for a while. Your kids probably will be satisfied with others. I found that for some reason chocolate and ice cream can be in my house and I don't care, but at first when I had home-made baked goods I'd start telling myself "better eat it, or it will go bad" and have a harder time. Lucky for me I'm picky about baked goods so just end up baking only on special occasions (although the control has gotten a lot better).

I think the points about HALT and willpower depletion are really good ones too. I also found the book The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg quite helpful.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »
    There are several strategies to deal with problem foods.
    Some people just eliminate them and don't keep them in their house. I think as a start while building dietary momentum it can help, but I think ultimately, permanently removing food for non-medical or non-ethical reasons is perpetuating an emotionally unhealthy relationship with food. There is some evidence that such restrictions lead to increased cravings because a person is making a food a greater and greater reward as now it isn't just the food, but the sensation of self-determination, not having to obey rules, even if they are rules you set on yourself.
    Some people find that pre-logging their entire day, including exact numbers of snacks helps, i.e., "I have 1 cookie today at noon, 1 before bed, and tomorrow I can do the same! There will always be cookies! Yum."
    Some find that taking snacks and repackaging them into individual servings helps, i.e. "I'm opening the cookie package. I get to eat the whole thing!"

This post is where it's at. My response is long and has two factors.

Food Tips:
    At the start, I simply did not have certain things around. (Chips. Cookies I can more or less deal with, but salty snacks are my kryptonite.) If I really, really wanted something, I'd have to go out and get an individual portion of it. Laziness/being broke usually stopped me from doing it, but sometimes I chose to.

Later, when I became more comfortable with logging and felt like I could manage it, I started bringing in small portions and having them around, or buying a larger bag and portioning it out. It helped when I transitioned from working at home to working outside the home because I wasn't around the food all of the time and I could pack things as part of my lunch.

Nowadays, I don't have too much trouble with foods. I still struggle when there's chips nearby and I'm bored (read: most winter weekends) but overall, I have a lot easier relationship with smaller portions and moderation.

Other Thoughts:
    Also! Have you looked into decision fatigue? Learning that willpower is a finite resource helped me feel less *kitten* about the days where I'm simply worn out at the end of the day. The combination of knowing I'll turn to food when I'm worn down and knowing what foods I'm likely to overeat has helped a lot in curbing those days where I undo an entire day or two worth of deficit.

(Note: It has not ended them. I polished off what was left of a box of Cheez-its, unmeasured, the first day of my period because it was late, I was tired and watching TV, and they were right there. Nothing is perfect, lol.)

Good tips in the quotes above. Another one to throw out is the HALT acronym. Try not to let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. These are times when our willpower is lower than normal and we're more likely to overeat. Now, that's a lot easier said than done, and strategies to help with those feelings, but sometimes it helps to know.

How have I never heard this acronym? I've never felt so understood by an acronym before.
  • pinkrjae
    pinkrjae Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Huge sugar-holic here and this is what I do. If I purge everything, I will find sugar somewhere else...so that isn't the answer for me. I allow myself to have whatever I want for breakfast. If that means having a piece of cake, cookies, donuts, etc, I do it. I know that I will have all day to burn those calories. I also allow myself a cheat meal once a week. That way if I want something that I shouldn't have, I can tell myself, "You can have that on your cheat meal." Nine times out of ten, when that meal rolls around, I don't want it anymore. Always looking for helpful solutions to my issues. Hope this helps!