Low carb for T2 diabetes?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Didn't your diagnosing physician provide nutrition advice or education?

Hi, no im waiting to go on an education course, i was just told to eat low fat and low sugar

Given this, if you don't feel you know enough about either, consider reading the South Beach Diet book. It goes into detail about carbs and fats. For the "short course" read the first book. For the longer one, read the "supercharged" one. For the newest info, try The South Beach Wake-Up Call.

And then do what your doctors and their nutritionists think best.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fat can really help with satiety, evens out sugar highs and lows, and frankly, helps me stick with the diet. For instance, a salad is much more appetizing with a bit of feta, a couple olives, and a fine vinaigrette. You just have to measure carefully; somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon at a meal.

The "good" fats can also help lower your cholesterol.
  • sweetaddict123
    sweetaddict123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Perhaps join the Low Carber Daily group. There are many of us there using diet to control insulin resistance associated health problems. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

[/quote]
    I sent a request to join this group.... do you know about how long it takes to get approved? Thanks!
  • julienurse
    julienurse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetes educator and our guidelines would be higher carb than many with diabetes on here would want to eat... the reason being is the majority of people out in the world have very very little food education and have no idea what a carb is not to mention have major difficulities lowering carbs. Especially those from cultures that eat a lot of rice.

So what we usually discuss with patients is a reasonable diet that's moderate (a few carb choices at each meal), because that's a HUGE improvement from what they were doing for years before diagnosis. I have to teach the guidelines I'm supposed to. I also see quite a few patients who try low carb and that's ok, but many don't stick on that plan. Not saying people CAN'T, but people tend to fall off the wagon. I try personally (no diabetes) to stick to 100-120 grams of carb per day, or I feel unnaturally hungry and just eat more calories.

A new diagnosis of T2D will have better luck with diet changes. Someone who has diabetes for over 10 years MAY have more issues controlling blood sugars because the pancreas can make less insulin over time. Every single person's diabetes is sooooo incredibly different it's crazy! You have to find out what works for you and how it makes you feel and how your blood sugars are. Some people CAN change their diet and not need meds, some people need insulin no matter what they do.

I honestly think our guidelines will be changing soon to eating more healthy fats, it's been recommended before to eat lower fat because of the ADA guidelines, but research is showing otherwise.
  • cherylann11
    cherylann11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    julienurse wrote: »
    I'm a diabetes educator and our guidelines would be higher carb than many with diabetes on here would want to eat... the reason being is the majority of people out in the world have very very little food education and have no idea what a carb is not to mention have major difficulities lowering carbs. Especially those from cultures that eat a lot of rice.

So what we usually discuss with patients is a reasonable diet that's moderate (a few carb choices at each meal), because that's a HUGE improvement from what they were doing for years before diagnosis. I have to teach the guidelines I'm supposed to. I also see quite a few patients who try low carb and that's ok, but many don't stick on that plan. Not saying people CAN'T, but people tend to fall off the wagon. I try personally (no diabetes) to stick to 100-120 grams of carb per day, or I feel unnaturally hungry and just eat more calories.

A new diagnosis of T2D will have better luck with diet changes. Someone who has diabetes for over 10 years MAY have more issues controlling blood sugars because the pancreas can make less insulin over time. Every single person's diabetes is sooooo incredibly different it's crazy! You have to find out what works for you and how it makes you feel and how your blood sugars are. Some people CAN change their diet and not need meds, some people need insulin no matter what they do.

I honestly think our guidelines will be changing soon to eating more healthy fats, it's been recommended before to eat lower fat because of the ADA guidelines, but research is showing otherwise.

Thanks julie
  • cherylann11
    cherylann11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Perhaps join the Low Carber Daily group. There are many of us there using diet to control insulin resistance associated health problems. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    I sent a request to join this group.... do you know about how long it takes to get approved? Thanks!
    [/quote]

Sweetaddict123, thanks for the link i will have a look!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

The long term studies would suggest that low carb has the same impact of moderate carb:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26446553

A meta study by an author with profound bias, no thanks. I would imagine she concocted a set of criteria to eliminate any study that might not fit her views as she's the "go to speaker" if you want an anti-low carb argument.

LOL, she even had to issue a correction in order to declare her conflict of interest. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4674465/

Here's an actual study of 44 months experience of carbohydrate restriction in T2D http://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-5-14

"Of the 23 patients who have used a low-carbohydrate diet and for whom we have long-term data, two have suffered a cardiovascular event while four of the six controls who never changed diet have suffered several cardiovascular events."
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

The long term studies would suggest that low carb has the same impact of moderate carb:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26446553

A meta study by an author with profound bias, no thanks. I would imagine she concocted a set of criteria to eliminate any study that might not fit her views as she's the "go to speaker" if you want an anti-low carb argument.

LOL, she even had to issue a correction in order to declare her conflict of interest. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4674465/

Here's an actual study of 44 months experience of carbohydrate restriction in T2D http://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-5-14

"Of the 23 patients who have used a low-carbohydrate diet and for whom we have long-term data, two have suffered a cardiovascular event while four of the six controls who never changed diet have suffered several cardiovascular events."

Like with almost all low carb studies, it's rarely an apples to apples comparison. It ridiculous to compare two diets but not control protein as one of the variables. This way, you have an equal comparison of the impacts of carbs vs fats. And you should have the same limitations on the types of foods. Or again, you aren't comparing apples to apples. But it's cool to see, there was some promise in the study...

And this isn't an anti low carb diet. I don't know why you think I would have an issue with low carb, as I do not. I have stated many times, that it is a viable option for those who can stick with it.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Thanks! That's the longest study I've seen yet for an actual low carb diet.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    @Yarwell, do you have any studies that hold protein equal and have carbs at a more moderate %. 55-60% is rather high, IMO.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    julienurse wrote: »

Great information.
  • traceyg3362
    traceyg3362 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am having the hardest time figuring out the carbs thing. I have read dozens of books on the diabetes diets and carb situation and find it all confusing. One book says 45 grams per day another says 45% of your daily calorie intake can be carbs. One says count net carbs, while another says count full carbs and sugars separately. One says boost protein, one says protein doesn't outweigh carbs. UGGGG! I am new to the whole diabetes thing and can't make heads or tails of any of the information I am finding. I would really like an "eat this/not that" book specifically for diabetics.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am having the hardest time figuring out the carbs thing. I have read dozens of books on the diabetes diets and carb situation and find it all confusing. One book says 45 grams per day another says 45% of your daily calorie intake can be carbs. One says count net carbs, while another says count full carbs and sugars separately. One says boost protein, one says protein doesn't outweigh carbs. UGGGG! I am new to the whole diabetes thing and can't make heads or tails of any of the information I am finding. I would really like an "eat this/not that" book specifically for diabetics.

Unfortunately, like with all things, you might have to play with a few approaches to figure out what is best for your situation/lifestyle and determine how well you can stick with things. It would probably benefit you to lower carbs and increase protein. And when you do eat carbs, try to focus on fibrous ones. With fruit, aim for lower sugar fruits to help mitigate some of the effects of insulin. The increase in fiber and proteins will help with satiety, which will make following the lifestyle a bit easier. Depending on how you ate prior to your recent diagnosis, you could start off with moderate to lower carbs, and decrease carbs (subsequently increasing fats - especially unsaturated fats) to figure out where your sweet spot is.