Help! Have not lost pounds or inches!

Hi I am a mom of three and been working out going on 5 weeks and have not lost a pound! So frustrated! I have been lifting weights every morning and eating healthy but can not seem to drop the pounds or inches! my body looks like it is forming but no pounds or inches are dropping! I don't know if its cause I am 7 months post postpartum. any suggestions?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Do you weigh all your food on a food scale and log EVERYTHING? That's the first, most important, thing you need to be successful.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Do you weigh all your food on a food scale and log EVERYTHING? That's the first, most important, thing you need to be successful.

This.

You can be eating "healthy" and not losing weight because you're not in a calorie deficit. That's where weighing and logging come in.
  • kristypando
    kristypando Posts: 17 Member
    Okay I just started this yesterday when i joined MyFitnesspal! Thank You! I hope it works for me this week at least!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    In addition to what other people said about calorie intake, weighing and logging, if you're lifting weights and your body seems to be changing, your probably developing lots of muscle, which weighs more than fat. Try tossing in some cardio three times a week to help kick off the fat.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Few things come to mind... are you logging everything and aware of everything that goes in your mouth?
    I often talk to people who have this problem and don't understand exactly what is going into their mouth. To a degree we need to be aware of hidden calories (i.e. are you counting sugar and cream in your coffee? if so how much...) Personally when I go about losing weight, I watch the sugars and carbohydrates especially as your body has two fuel sources... Sugar and fat. On a simplistic level, You won't be burning fat if there is an ample supply of sugar (and sugar you don't use can be stored as fat). Like I say this is a very simplified view and there is much more to this.

Consider that many of the products that are low fat, often substitute sugar to add flavor and texture to their product.

Anyways as is previously mentioned read the labels and become completely aware of what is going into your mouth. Weigh/measure your consumption as often peoples guesses are way off on quantity.

For what its worth, keeping an eye on my sugar/carbs resulted in an initial weight loss of just over 100 pounds. I did that long before I was on MFP so do know a fair bit about the subject. A recent injury and 3 month pity party/celebration has led me back here to monitor my diet a little better.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Hope I can offer you the support you're looking for.

Cheers,

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    In addition to what other people said about calorie intake, weighing and logging, if you're lifting weights and your body seems to be changing, your probably developing lots of muscle, which weighs more than fat. Try tossing in some cardio three times a week to help kick off the fat.

Women don't develop "lots of muscle" especially in 5 weeks. A woman training hard with progressive overload lifting program and eating a surplus might gain 1/2 a pound of muscle a month.
  • kristypando
    okay i will try that this week thank you!
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member

It takes a lot to build muscle, especially for women, so I don't think it's that. And also, muscle and fat actually weigh the same, pound for pound. I just think she isn't in a deficit, so when she creates ones, she should start seeing results.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    carmkizzle wrote: »

It takes a lot to build muscle, especially for women, so I don't think it's that. And also, muscle and fat actually weigh the same, pound for pound.[/]b I just think she isn't in a deficit, so when she creates ones, she should start seeing results.

While I agree she is likely not putting on lots of muscle, while muscle and fat weight the same pound for pound, they don't weigh the same based on volume which is what the person you are responding to meant. More precisely muscles is far denser than fat, so the same volume will weigh more.

As to the original post. If I understand correctly you have been eating "healthy", but have not been counting your calories until now. If that is the case, set your goal as no more than 1 pound per week, and eat the calories MFP gives you including at least half to three quarters of those you burn exercising. See what happens in a few weeks.
  • kristypando

It takes a lot to build muscle, especially for women, so I don't think it's that. And also, muscle and fat actually weigh the same, pound for pound.[/]b I just think she isn't in a deficit, so when she creates ones, she should start seeing results.

While I agree she is likely not putting on lots of muscle, while muscle and fat weight the same pound for pound, they don't weigh the same based on volume which is what the person you are responding to meant. More precisely muscles is far denser than fat, so the same volume will weigh more.

As to the original post. If I understand correctly you have been eating "healthy", but have not been counting your calories until now. If that is the case, set your goal as no more than 1 pound per week, and eat the calories MFP gives you including at least half to three quarters of those you burn exercising. See what happens in a few weeks.

okay I really think I am not eating enough like I am suppose to! have any of you tried the bodybuilding Macro's? eat 1gram of carbs and protein per pound?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

okay I really think I am not eating enough like I am suppose to! have any of you tried the bodybuilding Macro's? eat 1gram of carbs and protein per pound?

If you aren't losing weight, the problem isn't that you aren't eating enough.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Exercising on it's own will not help you lose weight. To lose weight you need to create calorie deficit, which means eating less. It's great that you are eating healthy, but are you sure you're not eating too much?
  • kristypando
    I Probably am I don't know maybe tracking my foods on here will help with that. :/
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I Probably am I don't know maybe tracking my foods on here will help with that. :/

The only way to lose weight is the eat less calories than you burn. The easiest way to do that is through counting calories rather than through exercise. The easiest way to know how many calories you are eating is by logging your food carefully. Start there using MFP being sure that the foods you select from the food database match up with what you are eating, and measuring carefully.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

OP, don't change anything until you have a few weeks of logging under your belt. Get your calorie goal from MFP, log EVERYTHING, log your exercise and eat back half those calories (MFP tends to overestimate calorie burns), and after 3 or 4 weeks you will have data to work with. At that point you will see how much you are really eating, and how much weight you have lost. And you can tweak it from there if you aren't losing like you should. Good luck!