Help finding diabetic snacks

I have recently been diagnosed in early stages of diabetes and I am in need of some food snack tips.

Replies

• Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi, I like to keep a lot of veggies and cheese as snacks. Veggies are really key, they can fill you up a bit for very little calories... and they're good for you.

Cream cheese with
    - carrots
    - celery
    - sweet pepper strips
    - those mini-sweet peppers are delicious
    - broccoli
    - cauliflower
    - apple

I have a refrigerator at work, so I usually have a tub of cream cheese (I use Philadelphia - and like the whipped chives, or light garden veggie, or smoked salmon), and then cut up a bunch of veggies for the week or a few days. It usually stays pretty fresh throughout the week, and is a great go to snack.

You could also do hummous or guacamole, peanut butter even... though careful, it's fatty and high calorie.

You can cut-up cheese into portions, I like to cut about 10 slices, with 2 slices per portion, and eat that with veggies. I keep that in a plastic bag in the fridge.

I've also brought some deli meat slices or even something like prosciutto. 1 slice wrapped around some sweet pepper, with a small schmear of cream cheese makes an awesome little snack.

I also keep a box of Triscuits in a drawer at my desk, if I'm really craving something carby.
    Wasa flatbreads are really great for that too, and have a good amount of fiber.
  • cheryladamseve
    cheryladamseve Posts: 17 Member
    wonderful thanks I really appreciate your input.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Macadamia nuts, Almond Butter, coconut butter.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    this website has a wealth of information on healthy eating, i dont have diabetes but i use it for myself anyways, everyone should follow these nutritional guidelines.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/?loc=ff-slabnav
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    edited February 2016
    Examples already posted above, as well as nuts, peanut butter and yogurt...feel friend to send me a friend request and check out my food diary!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    I've been making up a pot of garbanzo beans, and then oven-toasting them, so you get the crunch like popcorn, but it's mostly protein. You can make them with all kinds of different seasonings, and I just portion them out into ziplocs that hubby can toss in his lunch-bag and snack on at work.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    I've been making up a pot of garbanzo beans, and then oven-toasting them, so you get the crunch like popcorn, but it's mostly protein. You can make them with all kinds of different seasonings, and I just portion them out into ziplocs that hubby can toss in his lunch-bag and snack on at work.

Yes! I love those! I like to use cayenne pepper and ranch seasoning :)
  • I've been making healthy flapjacks for snacks - melt 55g butter, 2 tbsp peanut butter and 3 tbsp stevia in a pan. Add a grated apple and 2 bananas, then blend. Add 250g oats and 350g of mixed nuts/seeds/dried fruit. Bake it for 55 mins on low heat. Makes 16 yummy snacks :-)