Barre- like it, love it, hate it?

Options
Has anyone tried barre workouts ? I know very little about it and don't know anyone that's done it. I just moved into a building with a barre center downstairs so I signed up to try a class. Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    my hairdresser loves them...so much so that she became a certified barre instructor last year. she's tried to get me to sign up but it is just so darn expensive. I can't justify it. I know her body looks incredible and she LOVES it. Sorry, no personal experience here.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I had one class, I wasn't impressed, but that was less to do with the workout (it definitely was strenuous and I got a really good burn) but the prices were outrageous, and I didn't think it really beat out my regular workout at the gym, which is a fifth of the cost.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have been a few times, it is a good workout, just not really my thing. The friend that I went and tried the class with the first time absolutely loved it and has been going 3-4 times (sometimes more) a week ever since and that was 3 years ago. Whenever our Saturday morning class was cancelled, we would try some new class. Usually they give a good deal on a first class...free or two for the price of one.
  • jendo10
    jendo10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the barre classes at my gym. They are celeb barre classes. It incorporates a barre portion, abs, cardio, and arms. It is the most strenuous class I have ever done at a gym. My gym is pretty comparable in prices as any other gym so it is definitely worth it for me.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I did classes at Cardio Barre in southern California for a year and I LOVED IT. It was the hardest class EVER and it incorporated lots of ballet moves (five bajillion plies, tendus, etc.) plus cardio, abs, and some weighted work on shoulders and biceps/triceps. I had defined muscles popping out all over my body. I swear we did moves that targeted every single tiny little bit of my body. I lost weight but most importantly loved the class, loved the vibe, and sculpted and strengthened. I had to move away and I miss it so much. I tried a barre class here in New Mexico and it was horrible -- no ballet, wasn't hard, space was awful, no good "vibe."

So I guess the moral of the story is that when it's good, it's very very good, and when it's bad, it's awful.

If you're ever in Simi Valley, California, go to Cardio Barre and take a class from Melissa. :):)
    Oh and cost was something like $100 for a month of unlimited classes, OR you could do a punchcard deal, or pay like $15 per class a la carte. And they were always running Groupon deals. The cost was 100% worth it to me though.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have done PureBarre on and off for a few years. I love it for a quick and easy workout. I have chronic autoimmune diseases, so when my body needs some healing and I can't lift weights, I do PureBarre because I feel like I get a relatively decent workout without it being hard.
  • Sixtine79
    Sixtine79 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've done Pure Barre for about a year and I love it. The studio I go to is very friendly, it's an intense workout (and i agree with BethAnnie's comment about feeling every little muscle in your body!), and they have a ton of classes so they can accommodate most schedules. Also, there's a limit in participants so it never gets overcrowded. Yes, the price is quite high, but you can choose (at least with Pure Barre) to get a monthly/yearly/six-month pass, a five-class pass, or an individual pass etc. You also get individual attention from the instructors as they walk up and down the studio and help you correct your form, so I think it makes sense that it's more expensive than, say, a group fitness class.
  • louie61403
    louie61403 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Barre is an amazing workout I feel. It doesn't "feel" like a huge burn but for flexibility and core it is phenomenal! It's offered at my gym and I try and get there at least 1 or 2 times a week.
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great feedback. Thank you all. The price is a bit expensive -- BUT the class is in the building I live. Can't beat that, and no excuses about the weather or anything ! I'm doing a class today for $5 so I'll see if I like it! Thanks again for all the feedback.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love it but it's hard as HELL. At least the place I go is. I go to NextBarre. OMG so hard.