Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    olive1968 wrote: »
    Those of you who use it for lotion...like, the cooking kind? Or are we using something different?

Yes. I made a sugar scrub with coconut oil and sugar and I really like it.

It is comedogenic (pore-clogging) for many people, though, so patch test if you're planning to use it to moisturize your face.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    olive1968 wrote: »
    Those of you who use it for lotion...like, the cooking kind? Or are we using something different?

There are three kinds of coconut oil: refined, unrefined, and fractionated. The main difference between the refined and unrefined is that the refined does not smell like coconuts, which some people prefer. Fractionated has had some of the fatty acids removed and is liquid at any temperature. It does absorb nicely into the skin and is frequently used as a massage oil because it is not as greasy as the regular stuff.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Its not the oil it self that is "magical".. There is nothing magical. It does contain MCT's which is processed in liver and readily available for energy (thus the mentions of folks saying they have more energy). Basically is acts more as a carbohydrate than a fat and thus keto'ers use this daily in their diet (hence bullet proof coffee)..

I KETTLE COOK MY POPCORN ... yummilious.. not interested in butter or oil in my coffee, but my popcorn.. now that's da bom...
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I like it on my lips, my hair, my legs, my feet, in my coffee, on my dry hands and my occasionally my face. Heck Id eat it out of the jar in solid form. All things coconut.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I eat coconut oil everyday, but cant use it on my face as it make me break out :disappointed: If you really want a burst of energy, give MCT oil a try.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Never really got a boost of energy from coconut oil but then I wasn't consuming 1/3 to 1/2 of my calories using BPC or whey products. I wonder when people figure out their low carb, MCT, Coconut oil, whey, effect their insulin response do they suddenly switch to the next great energy boosting product? IDK, seems like something to have in moderation like most food items.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    390684-the-silence-of-the-lambs-buffalo-bill-gif
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Lovely hair and skin moisturizer and I will second the popcorn thing too! But it has calories just like every other oil, so count them. Nothing magical about eating it, unless you're talking about what it does for popcorn and stir-fry.

I always have a big jar in my house but I rarely use it for food, outside of a vegetable oil substitute for cooking or baking. Great for pancakes too.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Never really got a boost of energy from coconut oil but then I wasn't consuming 1/3 to 1/2 of my calories using BPC or whey products. I wonder when people figure out their low carb, MCT, Coconut oil, whey, effect their insulin response do they suddenly switch to the next great energy boosting product? IDK, seems like something to have in moderation like most food items.

Yep.. Next year there will be a new fad out and they will be adding it to their coffee !

Coconut oil is nothing magical op. If you like it then have at it! But if you are expecting to see magical results like curing and preventing disease and illness , don't believe the hype.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

This is why it is called Low Carb HIGH Fat...
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    Excellent lube.

I prefer grapeseed oil for those purposes.

But coconut oil is an excellent base for mixing other oils and making a good beard balm. Wonder how many calories I absorb through muh beard though?

Coconut smells better than grape. Your bread must smell nice! Depends on how long you leave the coconuts on your bread to be able to absorb most of the cals.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

This is why it is called Low Carb HIGH Fat...

I know what it is called; the mistake by some is they aren't understanding the insulin to whey and/or MCT connection and continually misdiagnosis a condition like IR. Ask someone which brings a greater response to insulin: white bread or whey. Most people get it wrong.
    *edit...why is MFP quadruple posting?!? Oh, I can fix it.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I like to toss it my salad. Great nutty taste.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    ::cough cough:: Placebo Effect ::cough cough::
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    1901937_307283652792477_451300075944399081_n.png?oh=dcea3274f5249136330773f4611d258b&oe=56DE39B5&__gda__=1458106652_a66f467f8e294c26eb5f54449e5159ef
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is hydrogenated. Just sayin'.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    FYI......its copha that is the coconut oil that was always used as the 'bad' coconut oil not the extra virgin......some smart people are using the bad press on copha to say extra virgin is awesome and the press was wrong.....guess what so many are buying into the hype!!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Unrefined, or virgin, or pure coconut oil is not hydrogenated. Some refined coconut oil is hydrogenated, some isn't.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Unrefined, or virgin, or pure coconut oil is not hydrogenated. Some refined coconut oil is hydrogenated, some isn't.

Copha is what hydrogenated coconut oil is called and is the bad stuff with all the bad research on it......its a shame they are using this information to sell the extra virgin oil!! They are different!! They also say coconut oil has a very high smoke point UNTURE!!!! Copha has the high smoke point! Unrefined coconut oil has a lower smoke point than olive oil but now we have a heap of people using unrefined coconut oil to fry in silly silly!!! Because they listen to all the woo