2»

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    try and avoid the machines if possible, get a free weight program like stronglift 5x5 or new rules of lifting. Or even join some classes.

Why should she try and avoid machines? I agree some machines should be avoided, but there are also some great ones, especially for beginners.

Because in general large compound lifts are better than isolation exercises. Not only do you hit more major muscles in less time (keeping your workouts short), you also hit the stabilizer muscles.

Unless you have a specific reason to train a specific muscle there isn't much reason to use machines (ok, if they are the only thing available, then you have a good reason to use them).

I don't think that's true. I always incorporate the leg press, cable row, assisted pull up, leg curl, etc machines. I also love free weights. To say to stay away from all machines is bad advice IMO

Well, it is true. I don't think any seasoned lifter is going to tell you that a leg press is superior to a barbell back squat....

Leg press is a great accessory move, but if it is not a better movement than a barbell back squat.

I agree with that. The part I don't agree with is that machines will make you avoid the weight section completely. I'm not debating that free weights aren't better than machines. They are.

I'm only saying it's bad advice to tell someone to avoid machines completely, especially a beginner asking specifically for which machines to start with. Horrible advice actually.

Good thing that advice wasn't given, then.

"try and avoid the machines if possible" said the person I originally quoted and I asked why to avoid them completely then this person quoted me back and started giving his reasons. ;)

no, you never asked why someone should avoid them completely. A quick search will show that.

I answered in general terms. If there is a specific need, then that is a different case. We know nothing about the OP other than that they are beginners. I'd rather point them to something that will give them the best bang for their buck (time), and that is whole body compound free weight movements.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    try and avoid the machines if possible, get a free weight program like stronglift 5x5 or new rules of lifting. Or even join some classes.

Why should she try and avoid machines? I agree some machines should be avoided, but there are also some great ones, especially for beginners.

Because in general large compound lifts are better than isolation exercises. Not only do you hit more major muscles in less time (keeping your workouts short), you also hit the stabilizer muscles.

Unless you have a specific reason to train a specific muscle there isn't much reason to use machines (ok, if they are the only thing available, then you have a good reason to use them).

I don't think that's true. I always incorporate the leg press, cable row, assisted pull up, leg curl, etc machines. I also love free weights. To say to stay away from all machines is bad advice IMO

Well, it is true. I don't think any seasoned lifter is going to tell you that a leg press is superior to a barbell back squat....

Leg press is a great accessory move, but if it is not a better movement than a barbell back squat.

I agree with that. The part I don't agree with is that machines will make you avoid the weight section completely. I'm not debating that free weights aren't better than machines. They are.

I'm only saying it's bad advice to tell someone to avoid machines completely, especially a beginner asking specifically for which machines to start with. Horrible advice actually.

"try and avoid the machines if possible" said the person I originally quoted and I asked why to avoid them completely then this person quoted me back and started giving his reasons. ;)

no, you never asked why someone should avoid them completely. A quick search will show that.

I answered in general terms. If there is a specific need, then that is a different case. We know nothing about the OP other than that they are beginners. I'd rather point them to something that will give them the best bang for their buck (time), and that is whole body compound free weight movements.

Really? Am I missing something??

2_3_2016_10_55_19_AM.png
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    larali1980, I use the strength training machines at Planet Fitness exclusively, (no free weights), and I have had good results towards meeting my objectives. I see many fit, strong, young people who use the equipment pretty exclusively. I myself got guidance from the Planet Fitness trainers, and others, including a 73 year old friend who has lifted for 40+ years (and continues to lift) and another who played college football. I ended up taking their input, and doing a hybrid of their recommendations and my own schedule of equipment/sets/reps. I believe that the key is to get some input from those who really know, and then to use it in a way that meets your needs. Doug in Akron

A question for all of us on this thread: Why is it that whenever anyone asks a question about strength training, particularly about equipment vs free weights, it seems to bring out the worst in people?

not sure what you are saying. People clearly said that OP should use free weight. compound movements, and that certain machines are good for accessory movements. What we are saying is that one should not use machines exclusively because they do not work stabilizer muscles and they don't compare to kind of full body workout that one gets with compound movements. That is not being harsh, that is just being factual.

A good structured lifting program is going to be build on a foundation of compound movements and then with accessory movements thrown that will include some machine work.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    larali1980, I use the strength training machines at Planet Fitness exclusively, (no free weights), and I have had good results towards meeting my objectives. I see many fit, strong, young people who use the equipment pretty exclusively. I myself got guidance from the Planet Fitness trainers, and others, including a 73 year old friend who has lifted for 40+ years (and continues to lift) and another who played college football. I ended up taking their input, and doing a hybrid of their recommendations and my own schedule of equipment/sets/reps. I believe that the key is to get some input from those who really know, and then to use it in a way that meets your needs. Doug in Akron

A question for all of us on this thread: Why is it that whenever anyone asks a question about strength training, particularly about equipment vs free weights, it seems to bring out the worst in people?

As you know, "less is more". Free weights engage more muscles than fixed machines in less time. I have been barbell lifting for about a year. I went on vacation and my hotel had a smith machine. I tried it. I understood what everyone meant. Sometimes the more you know, the less you realize you know.
  • ndj1979
    Options

not sure how "if possible" = completely ignore

the person clearly meant that machines are good for accessory movements but compound movements and free weights are superior, which they are.
  • time2cutnow
    Options

the person clearly meant that machines are good for accessory movements but compound movements and free weights are superior, which they are.

Clearly.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Clearly.

not sure how this is not clear:

• time2cutnow
    edited February 2016
    Options

Clearly.

not sure how this is not clear:

That wasn't OP I was quoting who wrote that.. it was another member.