Fitbit Surge or any other suggestions??

Options
If you have any great suggestions please share.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What do you want to use the device for?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit for years. Just upgraded to the Fitbit charge HR and I love it. The only thing I found is that if I use the timer on the Fitbit AND log my exercise into MFP it will double count. Otherwise, I just let it live on my wrist and do it's thing, log all my exercise and food into MFP and let the systems work together for the overage. It's wonderful :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Assessing what features you want is a good start.

Personally I think the Fitbit One is the best device. Instead of wearing on the wrist, it clips to the bra/waist/pocket. Has been very accurate for me. Some of the wrist device have issues of not counting accurately while pushing a cart. Though the Surge (I think) has a GPS feature that the One does not have.
  • amycampbell8813
    amycampbell8813 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I want to be able to track my steps, the GPS, HR etc.. This will be my first purchase so I am looking for ideas as to what I should get so I am not wasting the money. :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    The reports I have read: wrist-worn HR monitors are not necessarily accurate. Chest straps are better. I think some people buy the HR version wrist devices thinking the HR function works 24 hours a day to give an accurate calorie reading. It doesn't. HR is useful during steady state cardio for calorie purposes, or for using to gauge your resting heart rate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I want to be able to track my steps, the GPS, HR etc.. This will be my first purchase so I am looking for ideas as to what I should get so I am not wasting the money. :)

If you want the GPS, the Surge is the only Fitbit that has it. I personally have a Fitbit Charge HR that I use in conjunction with Strava on my phone (for GPS) and it works well for me. I couldn't see paying extra just for GPS when I was already taking my phone on runs (for music).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the above.

The HR function is very inaccurate, the watch is huge, it won't track pushing a cart or stroller or steps holding a treadmill bar, and if you have a smart phone with you, that already has gps.

I would get a One or Zip and see how you like wearing a jazzy pedometer. They can be terrific for motivation.
  • trebarkjohn
    trebarkjohn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I looked into Fitbits but decided to use the Pacer App free on my phone. It syncs with MFP and costs me nothing. I have to carry my phone in my pocket, but I m ok with that. If you are unsure about investing in a Fitbit or other device, this might be an option until you decide.
  • sfra85
    sfra85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In terms of HR accuracy, Mio Fuse seems to do a quite good job when compared to chest straps. Although it lacks GPS if it's a feat that you're looking for.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit One first, then a Force (recalled for metal allergies for a lot of people, I was one of them), now a Charge HR. I absolutely love their products. I am seriously thinking of getting the Blaze when it comes out in March. It really is a perfect device for me as I walk a lot and use mainly the elliptical and treadmill at the gym. It is the single best motivator to get me to move more. I went from sedentary to getting between 18K & 20K per day. I have had a fit bit for exactly 3 years today.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Here is my story:
    Last Fathers day my wife got me a fitbit charge(non HR), and I put it on and loved it. It was substantially mroe accurate step wise then my phone app, and it gave me my TDEE. For GPS tracking you can use the fitbit app on your phone, run keeper, mapmyruns, whatever you choose since most of us seem to carry the phone anyway the GPS is a non issue for me. The battery life was great, it didn't last the full 7 days they are supposed to, but did last maybe 4-5 days on a solid charge. While doing burpees a few months after I got it, the hard plastic where it screws into the band underneath broke. I called fitbit and explained what happened, they sent me out a brand new fitbit, even though the old one still worked fine, and they didn't want the old one back.

My new fitbit charge arrived, charged it up, put it on and the next day the battery died. This fitbit needed charged daily, so I called fitbit again. They gave me a case number and asked me to sync the fitbit with my phone after it was fully charged and when I got a low battery alert. I did that. Called them the next morning gave them my case number, they looked up the info, apologized profusely and sent me another fitbit that day. This fitbit has functioned perfectly, no charging issues, and I love having it.

Fitbit has the best customer service, and I feel confident recommending it to anyone.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Assessing what features you want is a good start.

Personally I think the Fitbit One is the best device. Instead of wearing on the wrist, it clips to the bra/waist/pocket. Has been very accurate for me. Some of the wrist device have issues of not counting accurately while pushing a cart. Though the Surge (I think) has a GPS feature that the One does not have.

^^ This.

I didn't want an HR monitor, and due to allergies I can't wear anything on my wrist, so I went with the Fitbit One, and I love it. It does everything I need.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit One for over 2 years. Never had any issues. Last summer we became a Fitbit family. My husband also got a One, and my son got a Flex. He didn't care for it, and opted for the One. My oldest daughter was afraid that clipping something to her clothing would end in disaster (aka a laundered Fitbit) and so she took the Flex. My youngest has had issues with taking care of things, so I was only willing to invest in the basic Zip - similar to the One but fewer features tracked.

One night while working, my husband's One fell out of the holder. Hard to know for sure if it was lose in the holder or if he simply didn't put it in squarely. Fitbit replaced the One.

About 6 weeks after getting the Flex, it stopped holding a charge. As in, charge it fully and within 12-18 hours it was dead. We went thru the recommended trouble shooting steps then Fitbit replaced.