No salt

Options
omg I have been cutting salt out of my diet this week and my meals taste so bland and boring.
I usually cook with salt in my veggies and potatoes and put salt on my dinner.
Tonight I made pasta with sauce and vegetables, even that was bland and yucky

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Do you have to do this for medical reasons?
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Put a ton of herbs or no sodium spice mixes on it! I never add salt to my food except in the form of soy sauce sometimes.

Also, you'll get used to the "bland" taste pretty quickly. It's weird at first, but you'll get to enjoy the "true" taste of foods eventually. Like boiled eggs taste very very different when you don't sprinkle any salt on top...
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Why? A medical reason?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I almost never add salt to my food but I add tons of other spices. No one can accuse me of having bland food. Your taste buds will adjust. Use things that give food flavor like low sodium broths or vinegar.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    :s

I'm not sure which if worse; if you have to, or if you think you have to.
  • tobykeohane
    tobykeohane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No I don't have to cut out salt but i'me trying to be healthy....not good for the heart and all that lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No I don't have to cut out salt but i'me trying to be healthy....not good for the heart and all that lol

You can have some salt and be healthy. You don't need to cut salt out of your life to be healthy.

In fact, by making foods like vegetables and grains more palatable, salt may actually help us have a healthier diet.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There is no need to cut salt unless you have high blood pressure or kidney problems, and even then it's about cutting down, not out.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    There is no need to cut salt unless you have high blood pressure or kidney problems, and even then it's about cutting down, not out.

This
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...I have to limit my sodium for health reasons and I can agree...food tastes bland and boring...borderline cardboard.

It has taken me a while to learn to recook and not depend on sodium for flavor.

Using spices that give "heat" has been my go to spices...covers up that there is not salt.

The other hint that I have...try new foods and recipes that you are not used to eating. That way you do not know what it would taste like with salt.

There are a few recipe sites out there that specialize in low sodium cooking if you do your research.

Also you can add some sodium...I save it for roasted vegetables.

Look for low sodium foods. I buy some canned such as tomatoes and beans that have no salt added.

If it is not for health reasons and you just want to cut back try doing it gradually and let your taste buds adjust. If you normally use 1 tsp in a recipe try making it with a 1/2 tsp.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    mmm Salt. It's a food group for me. We do use a lot of non-sodium spices, but I salt everything. Yes, it would be bland without it. My go-to are cumin, basil, and garlic. I can get a lot of flavor with just those three.
  • tobykeohane
    tobykeohane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, a lot of useful tips here.
    I don't need to cut out salt from my diet, not that I know of but I am at a high risk of heart disease and want to do everyone I can to prevent it x
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    According to the American Heart Association "The biggest contributor to our sodium consumption is not the salt shaker. Approximately 75 percent of the sodium we eat comes from sodium added to processed foods and restaurant foods." If you're cooking your own veggies, adding a little salt is probably not going to add much sodium to your diet.

It's true though, as you cut back, your taste buds will become more sensitive to salt and a little will go a long way.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I don't need to cut out salt from my diet, not that I know of but I am at a high risk of heart disease and want to do everyone I can to prevent it x

Buy a nice selection of herbs and spices. Make sure you get garlic and onion POWDER, not salt, and stay away from seasonings, unless they are listed as salt free. It is really easy to make your own seasoning mixes, there are recipes all over the internet. I make my own taco seasoning instead of using the pre-packaged ones that have tons of salt in them.

Essential herbs and spices IMHO:
    • garlic powder
    • onion powder
    • cumin
    • coriander
    • oregano
    • bay leaves
    • ginger
    • mustard powder
    • paprika (both sweet and smoked)
    • chili powder
    • cayenne pepper
    • turmeric
    • garam masala
    • dill weed
    • ground celery seed

I also use a lot of basil, rosemary, thyme, and chives but I prefer these fresh.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    • garam masala

I swear garam masala is a gift from the heavens. I use it all the time with no sodium curry powder. The taste is so spicy but buttery at the same time...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    • garam masala

I swear garam masala is a gift from the heavens. I use it all the time with no sodium curry powder. The taste is so spicy but buttery at the same time...

Curry powder should never have salt in it. If it does, change brands. Same thing with chili powder. They should never be made with salt added.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Acid is a good addition to your vegetables etc if you're avoiding salt - lemon juice or vinegars can provide lots of flavour too. I prefer to have both but steamed or roasted vegetables with pepper, lemon or red wine/white wine/balsamic vinegar, and some thyme and garlic are pretty excellent even without adding salt.

I also put hot sauce on everything but most of that has salt itself so it's probably not a great option for you unless you can find one without.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Do you actually have hypertension? Salt has no direct effect on heart health. Some individuals with hypertension may reduce blood pressure by reducing sodium, but those with normal blood pressures typically see no benefit or harm based on sodium intake, because their body regulates to the same blood pressure with or without a lot of dietary sodium.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Agree about acid. Also wines are very nice to cook with and give a good flavor dimension. My cooking experiences started with having to cook for my parents when both of them had to limit salt intake, so I'm very used to saltless cooking. I also now have to watch my own salt intake, so lessons have been nicely learned.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I buy low sodium everything in a box, a can or frozen (but do not buy a lot of anything frozen unless berries, ice cream or veggies, no processed meals). I cook a lot with chicken broth (no sodium as well)...

I cook and add my own sodium for taste. I use a lot of pepper and other spices to beef up the taste. Love garlic a lot.

I do not have a health issue with sodium, it is just excess sodium over the 2300 daily causes me to retain water like crazy even though I drink water like I should every day.