Creatine after surgery and during downtime

Options
Been taking creatine for the last 5 months and love it (I lift heavy and really feel the difference with creatine). Having a scope on my knee done next week and will need to take a bit of time off from the gym, and then a slow build-up back to my heavy lifting.

Wondering if there would be benefits to stopping the creatine for a month or two while I recover (and will not be lifting heavy)?? Benefits to continuing? I plan on focusing more on cardio and lighter weights (at least initially) so wondering if the creatine is better used once I start lifting heavy again?? Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    There is no benefit to taking it if you're not doing activities requiring a lot of strength.
    Personally i would restart creatine after hitting a plateau in weights.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's really a big deal either way. It's cheap enough that even if it's not giving you anything, you're wasting what, pennies a day? There's no benefits to cycling off so just do whatever you feel like. There is some evidence that creatine helps things like general fatigue so there's basically no reason to stop taking it unless you're destitute from a financial standpoint.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I seem to recall knowing a nutrition researcher who's specialty was creatine who was bullish on the idea of creatine potentially helping in healing. For how cheap it is, I'd stay on it.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    thanks, guys!