What gym equipment to invest in?

Options
So i have been working at getting healthier eating right following MFP and its been working great. I have been walking since the begining of January to the point that i now walk 6- 8 kms daily which i enjoy doing. I live in Canada so some days are pretty cold for walks. Think i may need to do some weights or something so i do not lose muscle weight? I could be wrong here as well. So i have been thinking of maybe buying some equipment for home that both my wife and i would use. I do not really want to join a gym never done it and hear to many horror stories of being tied to contracts and such.

So my question is what should a person invest in? 5-7" 185lbs not looking to be a body builder or anything like that haha. would like to get down to 165-170 lbs and be able to maintain that weight.

Items i have been thinking of are treadmill, bike, rower or bowflex or combination of a couple of these.

Any input would be great.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and a set of weights plus squat stands that I've collected piece by piece. I use it all on a regular basis (6 days a week.)

If you are considering doing some sort of resistance exercise, which it sounds like you are based on the bowflex, I would suggest free weights. They are not only for bodybuilders. If you go that route, you'll need to choose between a set that has an Olympic bar (plates have 2" holes, bar is 45 lbs.) or a standard bar (plates have 1" holes, bar is lighter--mine is 15 lbs.) I went with the standard. My bar can hold up to 250 lbs. and I don't see myself ever needing more than that on a regular basis. When I first started, I had several exercises that I needed less than 45 lbs. for so having the lighter bar and a set of dumbbell handles that could use the same plates as the bar was really handy. However, if you were serious about weight training, you could easily move past the 250 lb. mark if you decided to start doing deadlifts so the Olympic set may be the better choice for you. That's just something to consider when making your decision.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    The answer is whatever you'll use.

For cardio that might be a treadmill, or it might be an elliptical. Unless you are training for a specific sport they will all do what you want (increase cardiovascular health and burn calories).

For strength training, again it depends on what you'll use. If you don't want to put in the financial investment first, then go with bodyweight training - http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html is a decent starting point.

However, you can go with a bench, rack (squat + preferably with safeties, half, or full), and a barbell + plates. Or you can do dumbbell or kettelbell training. As a guy at 165lb, 1-2 year of training with a good enough diet and a decent program and you'll be squatting over 250lb no problem, so an olympic bar would be preferred, but you can typically get standard bar sets for cheap and just re-sell it if you have to upgrade.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

This and what you have space for (and what your budget allows, you could spend $thousands without trying too hard if you're investing in quality equipment)

Depending on which province you live in there may or may not be strong consumer protection laws that protect you from predatory gym practices; a great starting point, if you've got one locally, would be joining the Y. Most of them have fairly well equipped gyms so you can try a variety of equipment and workouts before spending a load of hard earned cash and most of them will offer a session or two with a trainer as part of your membership.

Personally my main exercise is running and I run outside all year 'round (it get's pretty cold here in Ottawa but if you dress properly -40 is not as bad as it sounds) but freezing rain and thunderstorms mean the occasional trip to my treadmill.

I bought a rower a few years ago (C2) and have never regretted it - I'll row, on average, 3 times weekly as cross training. I also bought a multi gym a few years ago (when my kids were too young to spot for me), were I doing it again I'd probably go for free weights and a bench but I've gotten my money's worth. I've used a bowflex a few times while traveling and found them more complicated to use than I'm accustomed (and they're expensive...) to to but if you want one you should be able to find a used one on kijiji for a decent price.

If you're approaching (or have passed) the age of 40 strength training is really important, we males of the species start losing about 1% of our lean muscle mass per year after age 40. I don't want to be one of those frail old guys you see at the mall in another 15 or 20 years, exercise may not be the fountain of youth but it's the closest thing we've got.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    If I had to choose just one piece of equipment it would be a power rack.

If you want a versatile piece of strength training equipment, that is.
  • keith883
    keith883 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

This and what you have space for (and what your budget allows, you could spend $thousands without trying too hard if you're investing in quality equipment)

Depending on which province you live in there may or may not be strong consumer protection laws that protect you from predatory gym practices; a great starting point, if you've got one locally, would be joining the Y. Most of them have fairly well equipped gyms so you can try a variety of equipment and workouts before spending a load of hard earned cash and most of them will offer a session or two with a trainer as part of your membership.

Personally my main exercise is running and I run outside all year 'round (it get's pretty cold here in Ottawa but if you dress properly -40 is not as bad as it sounds) but freezing rain and thunderstorms mean the occasional trip to my treadmill.

I bought a rower a few years ago (C2) and have never regretted it - I'll row, on average, 3 times weekly as cross training. I also bought a multi gym a few years ago (when my kids were too young to spot for me), were I doing it again I'd probably go for free weights and a bench but I've gotten my money's worth. I've used a bowflex a few times while traveling and found them more complicated to use than I'm accustomed (and they're expensive...) to to but if you want one you should be able to find a used one on kijiji for a decent price.

If you're approaching (or have passed) the age of 40 strength training is really important, we males of the species start losing about 1% of our lean muscle mass per year after age 40. I don't want to be one of those frail old guys you see at the mall in another 15 or 20 years, exercise may not be the fountain of youth but it's the closest thing we've got.

Thanks Brian

I am 41 years young so i hear what your saying haha. I live in Calgary so for the most part the weather is not horrible and it has not stopped me yet. Icy sidewalks are my enemy right now. I have a snap fitness in my area that i do not really care to join. I could try out the Y but i feel intimidated not knowing what i should even be doing. Thats why i feel like i could get some stuff for home. Embarass my self there haha. I feel as though i should be doing some weight training and have been looking on kijiji for things. Im just not sure what those things should be.
    I am really interested in a rower as it sounds like a great full workout and i do believe i would use it. Not many used ones out there.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Finding a used rower, especially a used Concept2, is hard, the people who own them tend to keep them.

Concept2 sells direct and through some fitness stores, they run about $1,000US but, in my opinion, are worth every cent. You'll get years and years of use with minimal maintenance. They're the rower that Olympic athletes use during the off season.

If you're going to get a rower focus on developing proper form, there are some great videos on youtube and there's a rowing group here on MFP community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/6431-rowing and we have a virtual club (MFPFriends) on concet 2's website - they run all sorts of challenges etc that help keep the motivation up.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm in Edmonton and bought passes to the rec centres. Have you checked out the ones in Calgary? No contracts no monthly fees. You could at least try out all the different types of equipment you're thinking about over a few visits before making a big financial commitment
    ETA: Just checked the Calgary rec centre website and its less expensive than Edmonton. (Another fine reason to move to Calgary LOL). $6. for a day pass or $54. for 10 and you can use the pool as well.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I use my Olympic barbell with 1/2 cage and elliptical. I like the compound lifting as the main workout (best for adding/retaining LBM). My treadmill needs a new belt and my rower sprung a leak so elliptical is my go-to/inside cardio for now.

The Olympic barbell dimension may be more beneficial. It fits the cage dimensions. It also fits inside a Landmine sleeve.

You could always start with Kettlebells, Dumbbells, cables, bands, suspension trainer as well as bodyweight work. All these are great on their own or for accessory work. You could strength train with these by progressing to single leg/arm movements. You can even create some cardio circuits.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You could have a great home gym with just a few items for weight training. Things you may consider are
    1. Bench
    2. Olympic barbell set
    3. Half Rack

I'm not plugging these guys but they are Canadian and I have a bench and half rack from them. The rack is 72" high so it fits in older basements with low ceilings. You can bench with this rack. Squat and floor press too among other lifts.
    You can also get add ons to this rack if you feel inclined. I have the dip and pull bar. I'm 5' 7" and can do pull ups on it with legs up and crossed no problem.

You could start out with less and if you stick with it and want to expand your home gym you can build/ buy /budget
    as you go. I've never had a bowflex or tried one but think you could be more creative with free weights especially if you need to change lifts due to injury or irritated joints that come as we get older err I mean wiser ;-)

nlfit.com/product.asp?category_name=smith_machines&product_id=2075&sub=overview
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Love my bowflex. Also have bowflex550 dumbbells and bench. Works great. Bowflex was convert to about half for free weights. So 100 lb press be would be 50 with dbs. Bowflex great with no spotter and easier on joints.

• keith883
    Options
    Is something like this good or would it be better to just piece it all together. I am just looking at used equipment and seen a couple of these set ups and they look like they would have all of what was mentioned for weight training.
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-exercise-equipment/calgary/nautilus-smith-machine-with-lat-tower-and-low-row-pec-deck/1137341056?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    keith883 wrote: »
    Is something like this good or would it be better to just piece it all together. I am just looking at used equipment and seen a couple of these set ups and they look like they would have all of what was mentioned for weight training.
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-exercise-equipment/calgary/nautilus-smith-machine-with-lat-tower-and-low-row-pec-deck/1137341056?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Try to avoid the smith machines, not as flexible and won't truly work stabilisers - a rack is usually cheaper and better.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

^ This. You can set up a pretty good bodyweight program if you want to try out some exercises before you spend any $$. I generally don't think most people end up liking the machines like Smith machines or Bowflexes - a set of dumbbells or weights is more effective and versatile.

My personal favorites:

1) Pull up bar (iron gym or knockoffs) - very cheap and effective.

2) A few kettlebells (careful to learn form on these, though).

3) I have a rowing machine that I like a lot.

4) Yoga mat

5) Foam roller
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    keith883 wrote: »

No. It may be better to go with free weights (barbell, dumbbell, kettlebell) or choose a functional trainer (cables) or bands or Suspension trainer. The fixed machines tend to have a limited (mechanical feel) range of motion targeting less muscles for each lift.

You can target more muscles in less time with free weights.

I would go for an Olympic barbell/weights and a bench. And a Landmine sleeve.

I have a Vectra home gym and only use the cable parts.
  • keith883
    Options
    OK so all in ones out haha. I am a little confused when it comes to the benches and 1/2 racks and all that. When i look through our local used stuff on kijiji. This looked like it could be a easy one stop shop.
  • louiandaisy
    louiandaisy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pull up bar, set of Olympic Rings, set of paralettes, some kettle bells a skipping rope and a tabata timer app on your phone. Take a look at Gold Medal Bodies for some free tutorials on paralettes and Olympic Rings.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    If you go with a bowflex check out Craigslist. There are ALOT of them for sale at big discounts. Some might be afraid of them for the same reason.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A really simple and inexpensive way to start could be landmine variations. Just need a barbell and some plates. A solid corner too I guess? I have a few landmine lifts in my routine. I like them. Found this on YT. There are a bunch of vids on there with more variations including leg work.

https://youtu.be/LDXxpBo0fVM