xcalygrl wrote: »
    junelove89 wrote: »
    Do you guys prefer free weights or machines?

I only use free weights (barbells and dumbbells). I workout at home, so machines aren't an option for me. I also didn't really use them when I attended a gym because they aren't my cup of tea.

Has that given you any results? I want to start buying my own set of free weights to workout at home too and maybe ditch the gym. Can never go when it's not crowded and I hate having to change my routine because I can't get to the right machine.

Oh yeah! I do progressive overloading, so I'm always getting stronger and working on have more defined arms and legs. These pics are a few years apart, but they're a pretty good example. On the left, I was only running. I didn't lift weights. The right, I was doing free weights and running a little bit (because I enjoyed running). My legs are a bit smaller, a nicer butt, flatter stomach, and better defined shoulders (though you can't see them in the right picture).
    10qjg35.jpg

Wow that's amazing. Great job. I definitely need to start focusing on weights more. I've always done cardio alone and never saw any results. How many times a week do you focus on weights?

I lift 5 days a week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. That picture was taken when I was only lifting 3 days a week doing Stronglifts 5x5 though.

Is that a workout program? Like a DVD?
    I recently bought and did 21 day fix extreme and that's where I was introduced to weights on every workout. This is where I noticed change. I dropped 5lbs in 5 days when I started the program. Very exciting

It's a lifting program. They don't have a DVD, but they do have an app for smartphones. This link will pretty much give you the program and the methodology behind it: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I will be sure to check it out. Thanks for your help and info :smiley:
  • _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Lifting?
  • VeronicaSmith2019
    VeronicaSmith2019 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Getting some cardio in as well here too. I only ever used to do cardio. Elliptical, row, treadmill and bike but last winter got into lifting. Trying to incorporate at least two days of cardio because it does help!
  • KimmyKicksAss
    KimmyKicksAss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love Stronglift 5x5. I highly recommend that, especially for beginners. I'm preggo now so I had to back off my goals but still lifting for as long as I can. Good luck ladies. Don't let the gym intimidate you. Walk in there like you own the place.

I love it when I see lady lifters in the weight room. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. We all had to start somewhere.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Never heard of it.

Bro, do you even lift?
  • VeronicaSmith2019
    VeronicaSmith2019 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yay for you Kimmy and congratulations! That's awesome to be expecting and still lift! Yes, I love seeing all the lady lifters at my gym. It such a great, confident, and empowering feeling!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I love Stronglift 5x5. I highly recommend that, especially for beginners. I'm preggo now so I had to back off my goals but still lifting for as long as I can. Good luck ladies. Don't let the gym intimidate you. Walk in there like you own the place.

I love it when I see lady lifters in the weight room. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. We all had to start somewhere.

Awesome! I had to quit all exercise pretty early on with my pregnancy, but I knew it would happen because I was high-risk from the start (Lupus)...but I went as long as I possibly could before they told me no more! Keep on doin' what you're doin!!!
  • marymezzo
    marymezzo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Lifting is the real fountain of youth. Cardio is necessary and great--but lifting is what gives you a body that lasts over the long haul, looks great, burns more calories, and has a gorgeous shape.

:smile:
  • sashenka899
    sashenka899 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I totally understand you. I go once a week to my gym to do strength training as well. I do it on Saturday mornings as soon as the gym opens so im one of the first people in there lol it feels so much better when there's nobody around you to see you mess up, but you should definitely do it. Try investing on some dumbells and start at home. That's what I did
    IsaCaliBel wrote: »

I agree, I was totally intimidated to even walk into the weight room. It just takes practice and a plan. Now I just plug in my music and focus.

Thank you both for encouragement