Finding a Trainer...

Options
So the doc says hiring a PT would be a very good thing for me. He wants me to move more, but work with someone who's aware of my limitations (I had a TIA - like a self correcting stroke) I'm not limited in range of motion...I just need to be very careful for the next few months to make sure I dont have a big one while still reducing my risks.

Any recommendations on how to find a GOOD trainer or what questions to ask? given my situation, a bad trainer could be more than a waste of money for me.

Replies

• Gerbsxyng412
    Gerbsxyng412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    talk to your local gym.. college... friends...crossfit gym
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This may vary by area, but from what I have heard Crossfit trainers typically aren't going to be trained in working with special health restrictions and this is a concern for the OP.

• Aeglean_goals
    Aeglean_goals Posts: 6 Member
    Options

This may vary by area, but from what I have heard Crossfit trainers typically aren't going to be trained in working with special health restrictions and this is a concern for the OP.

Exactly what I'm worried about. If I go to a trainer who isnt really knowledgeable in this I could end up experiencing a a major stroke. I just don't know how to find ones who are knowledgeable in my area.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Exactly what I'm worried about. If I go to a trainer who isnt really knowledgeable in this I could end up experiencing a a major stroke. I just don't know how to find ones who are knowledgeable in my area.

When my dad had a stroke he saw a physical therapist. When he got better, they gave him a referral to a gym that handled special needs. I get the sense that he was still more incapicitated than you are currently, but maybe you could call a therapy office and see if they know of any gyms that they refer clients to when they need training? Another option might be to see if there is a stroke support/survivor group in your area -- they might have some recommendations as well.

Good luck with your recovery!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your stroke. My mom had one three four years ago. Is your doc affiliated with a hospital that does stroke rehab and the rehab center can recommend a facility or trainer? After my mom had her stroke, her training activities were monitored and they took her blood sugar before/after; blood pressure before and after, and had a heart monitor. Good luck to you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You should be offered a free consult/meeting, possibly even s short workout, before you spend a dime. Do adk about their quals/experience in working with your medical needs. Even the best trainer doesnt automatically come with these skills. Get more specific guidance from your doctor and/or phys therapist about what you should and shouldn't do given your situation. Im confident the right trainer will do you a world of good!
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Would your doctor feel comfortable writing a referral for physical therapy? I think they would have better knowledge of what's safe for a stroke patient than a physical trainer might. When I worked in a rehab center, our physical therapists saw stroke patients and one even had additional training geared towards stroke patients (and another had extra training for patients with Parkinson's. It was pretty cool)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    samchez0 wrote: »
    Would your doctor feel comfortable writing a referral for physical therapy? I think they would have better knowledge of what's safe for a stroke patient than a physical trainer might. When I worked in a rehab center, our physical therapists saw stroke patients and one even had additional training geared towards stroke patients (and another had extra training for patients with Parkinson's. It was pretty cool)

I came to say the same thing. I think a physical therapist would be a lot better suited to your needs than a personal trainer - while many personal trainers are great, there are a lot out there without the kind of skills and training you need.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Are you a member of a gym? Can you google personal trainers in your area?

You should find a personal trainer with a reputable certification and make sure they are given the instructions as to your limitations in writing by your physician.

Any good trainer should require a Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire which should ask all about your previous medical history. Considering you have a medical problem they should require a written consent form from your physician along with specific limitations for your training.
  • Aeglean_goals
    Aeglean_goals Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the help everyone!

I will ask the doctor tomorrow about physical therapy when we meet to go over the latest results. I never considered PT. I've just been so focused on doing something that seemed positive..I didn't even consider it could be the wrong thing.