At home rowing machine recommendation

Options
Looking to pick up a rowing machine for home. I have odd knees that make a lot of exercises not possible. Had been doing various DVD's but the lungs made an odd revelation, I can't walk up steps. (level walking is fine and pain free, steps feels like someone is shoving a butter knife in my kneecap) Due to my job this is literally a life threatening deal. This is something I am hoping will be doable.

All that said looking into something in the $500 range but can spin more is it's really needed. I would prefer a magnetic or hybrid one. Would prefer to stay away from an all air model due to the noise.

Thanks a lot folks.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I like the Concept 2 best but it's a lot more. I had a water rower from Costco.com for a while that was about $700 that was ok but I didn't keep it long. Maybe watch your local ads for used deals.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound highly opinionated (because it is...) but the only rowing machine worth buying is the Concept2, the model D will set you back about $900 and it's worth every penny (you may be able to find a used one if you're lucky)

These are the same rowing machine that Olympic athletes train on during the off season and are built to last a lifetime with minimal maintenance.

In addition to making a great product C2 has a very active on-line community and they run challenges etc during the year to help keep the motivation levels high (and they do goofy stuff like free t-shirts at 1,000,000 and 5,000,000 metres) and they have great training resources on their web site.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound highly opinionated (because it is...) but the only rowing machine worth buying is the Concept2, the model D will set you back about $900 and it's worth every penny (you may be able to find a used one if you're lucky)

These are the same rowing machine that Olympic athletes train on during the off season and are built to last a lifetime with minimal maintenance.

In addition to making a great product C2 has a very active on-line community and they run challenges etc during the year to help keep the motivation levels high (and they do goofy stuff like free t-shirts at 1,000,000 and 5,000,000 metres) and they have great training resources on their web site.

Agree 100%. IMO, there is really no alternative. I don't row now, but if I did, for me it would either be a C2 or I would switch to a different exercise.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    The Concept2 is lovely, if you have $900 lying around.
    I had a Stamina 1205 that I really liked for about five years, and then one of the hydraulic arms started to go out, then was uneven. When I called about the ten year warranty, they told me it didn't 'include the hydraulics' but they could send me a new arm for $100 plus shipping. Since I'd paid 200 for the whole thing, I didn't bother. But if you want cheap alternative to get you through a few years until you can afford a Concept2, the Staminas are just fine.