Don't forget to check your food labels!

Options
GsKiki
GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
I always check my labels before buying new food, even tho where I live there is not so many food falsely labeled "healthy". That is why I was a bit surprised when I watched this video https://youtu.be/kUKOt_SvTQc. So many marketing tricks!
Do you guys always check food labels before buying new product? Have you ever been miss guided by packaging?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Still delicious.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Never buy packaged foods unless you're gonna do a cheat, it's all crap! But I had to lol when they said no one would eat a bowl of chips.. they've clearly never been fat!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Still delicious.

Yep. If you don't have a medical reason to watch your sugar/sodium intake, there's nothing wrong with these things in moderation.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good rule of thumb...random YouTube videos aren't great sources of accurate information.

And I'm not spending 22 minutes watching a poorly researched piece of propaganda. Can you summarize for us?
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Still delicious.

Yep. If you don't have a medical reason to watch your sugar/sodium intake, there's nothing wrong with these things in moderation.

exactly this! At 215 pounds and 115 pounds I ate the same things - just less. I don't believe that any food inparticular is "unhealthy" for an average person that has not medical reason to track sugar, sodium, carbs, etc. That being said - I do read the labels on the food I buy because I want to know what I'm eating and because I'm soy intolerant.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bohonomad wrote: »
    Never buy packaged foods unless you're gonna do a cheat, it's all crap! But I had to lol when they said no one would eat a bowl of chips.. they've clearly never been fat!

Frozen broccoli (and fruit/other veggies when I refuse to pay huge markups for fresh during the winter) is not crap. People need to be responsible and read nutrition labels/ingredients and assess whether the food is appropriate for their lifestyle (Nutella is a godsend for days where I have been stressed, lost my appetite, and need to cram 400 calories into my bedtime snack to meet the 1000-1200 calorie minimum).

What I have issues with are food companies manipulating serving sizes so that they can add certain labels to their food (like a muffin having 1.2g of trans fat and a company putting the serving size as "1/3 muffin" so that the trans fat per serving is 0.4g, can be rounded down to zero, and advertised as "0g trans fat -per serving in super tiny fine print-").
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

So I should start rolling my own oats? Buying my rice from the paddy and dehusking it myself?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb...random YouTube videos aren't great sources of accurate information.

And I'm not spending 22 minutes watching a poorly researched piece of propaganda. Can you summarize for us?

A serving of Nutella has 11 grams of sugar in it and that's somehow bad.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Food watchman in Canada says "healthy" food labels are wrong because OMG SUGAR/SODIUM/PROCESSING TAKING AWAY NUTRIENTS
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with Nutella being the nutritional equivalent to chocolate frosting. What I have a problem with is Nutella being the nutritional equivalent to chocolate frosting and it being marketed like it's some kind of healthy, wholesome snack.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

sense... you're not making any.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with Nutella being the nutritional equivalent to chocolate frosting. What I have a problem with is Nutella being the nutritional equivalent to chocolate frosting and it being marketed like it's some kind of healthy, wholesome snack.

I believe there was some class action lawsuit because of this. But it's not that different from sugary cereals that market how healthy whole grains are etc. *shrug* Just got to learn not to trust commercials.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend has corn allergies and I bought some maple syrup that said no high fructose corn syrup on the front label thinking it was ok. Good thing I checked again before I gave her any because the first ingredient on the back label was corn syrup. X_X

My fault for not checking thoroughly at the store, but seriously, it was super misleading!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    20 years ago when I was in middle school, we were required to take a home ec class that, among other things, covered the basics of advertising. How it worked, what it was trying to make you believe, and how to see past the fancy commercials and labels to make reasonable choices. I don't think I've been "fooled" by a label since I started to realize the free toys in breakfast cereal boxes weren't that great.

I hate to go all old lady in this thread, but what are they teaching in schools these days?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Food watchman in Canada says "healthy" food labels are wrong because OMG SUGAR/SODIUM/PROCESSING TAKING AWAY NUTRIENTS

Ahhh....and let me guess...it's all the manufacturer's fault because people don't read the information clearly disclosed on the label.

Glad I saved that 22 minutes of my life
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why?

I often eat cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt, smoked salmon, dry pasta, dry beans, all of which come in packages. Why are those foods "crap"?

I had steel cut oats this morning (because I always read labels I know the only ingredient is "oats"). Also from a package. Why "crap"?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Does anyone actually think Nutella is some sort of health food? All the word of mouth I get (haven't seen marketing here) is that it's some kind of delicious dessert spread. Plus, it's made by Ferrero.
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Does anyone actually think Nutella is some sort of health food? All the word of mouth I get (haven't seen marketing here) is that it's some kind of delicious dessert spread. Plus, it's made by Ferrero.

https://youtu.be/ThIrw_LpuRA
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

lb0bp8qjks08.gif

In other words, it's a typical 'food propaganda' video which demonizes a particular food/macronutrient while completely ignoring context and dosage. 0/10, would not watch.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

yghxbh9t1iok.jpg