Family health Success with a story and pictures

Options
simonkurth
simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
My wife and I are coming up on our year anniversary of starting P90X. It has been a life altering experience. I'm so grateful to have found this community and the support of my MFP group P90X Insanity the Game Changers team.

2r6ldgl.jpg

2eyb19i.jpg

2lvdyqa.jpg

142yfer.jpg

2elt9ad.jpg

2hmm046.jpg

My Story...

My name is Simon Kurth and I've been happily married to the absolute love of my life for the past seven years. Originally from New Zealand, I fell head over heels for an American exchange student, Krissy. With many frequent flier points earned and a few immigration headaches, the move was far from simple, but it worked. I have two fantastic boys ages two and five whom I cherish dearly. My early adult life revolved around playing rugby in both New Zealand and the USA. Rugby is a very team orientated sport where a group is always stronger than an individual. I also have a passion for surfing which goes far beyond anything I can explain in words.

Health wise, my story is one of trying to overcome years of personal neglect. I had the opportunity and skill to play rugby at a very high level. I lacked the confidence, know-how and the desire to truly reach my potential. In other words, I lacked drive and commitment because my WHY wasn't apparent.

Junk food has always been an ever present factor in my life. With junk food comes the associated weight fluctuations that have been with me since I was a young boy. Fast forward to a year ago..... the combination of lack of sleep, exercise and horrible nutrition, left me with elevated blood pressure and the possibility of doctors intervening with an array of prescription drugs.
My health was at an all time low. I weighed 314 pounds and felt constantly tired and irritable. I lacked the energy to be a good father and husband. My self confidence was in the gutter. I was ashamed to go swimming because of what I had done to my body. Taking my kids to swim lessons shouldn't have been a socially awkward event, but it was. The thought of seeing people whom I had not seen for a long time embarrassed me. I could see the look on their faces, they seemed to say "Wow Simon, what happened?"

The combination of selling our home, taking teaching credential exams, the end of busy school year and being in escrow on our new family home added up to an incredibly stressed out Simon. It came to a head one day at work when I became short of breath. It continued to the point where I decided I needed to go to the local urgent care clinic. I walked in saying "I think I'm having a heart problems." The nurse quickly rushed me into a room and I was promptly given an EKG. Thankfully, I wasn't in the midst of a heart attack. Stress and a complete lack of regard for my own health was beginning to rare its head. While being hooked up to the machine monitoring my heart, I thought "how did I get here?"

Shortly thereafter my wife noticed a rather black and irregular shaped mole on my back. It turned out to be a melanoma. When it rains it pours. It was quickly removed leaving me with an impressive scar on my back. Thankfully, it was caught early and did not spread. My wife saved my life on this occasion and on another shortly thereafter.

My own mortality was brought into focus with the melanoma experience. I proceeded to research options for life insurance. I was shocked with the extra cost involved in insuring a morbidly obese man who just had a melanoma removed from his back. The melanoma I could deal with, but being categorized as morbidly obese? No way, not me. I told the insurance brokers that I was an ex rugby player with a lot of muscle. Well, when I looked in the mirror there wasn't a lot of muscle left.

My wife saved my life yet again through her enthusiasm for falling for late night infomercials. She told me she wanted to try P90X. We sat down and talked about it. The desire was in my heart and we watched YouTube P90X transformation videos the entire night. We cried during a couple of them. When Richard Neal looked into the eyes of his new born baby crying, he had me at "hello."

I knew I could do it! The WHY was there! My FAMILY has to have a strong and healthy father and husband whom they can depend on. I needed structure and a well designed program that enabled me to workout in the privacy of my own home while not taking time away from family life. We sacrificed and worked out after the kids went to bed, even if that meant starting at 9pm.

We started the P90X Lean program August 1, 2012. I will never forget that date, because it was the day my life changed immeasurably for the better. Along the way I have been blessed to meet a supportive coach and fellow P90Xers and other like minded people that have helped shape the strong, mentally and physically father who is proud to share this story today. Since the first round my wife and I have completed another two consecutive rounds of P90X.

I have finally unlocked the vital missing link in my life. Exercise and thoughtful nutrition have bought my HEALTH IN FOCUS.The fog has lifted and I can't wait to see where this path leads.

I'm starting a 30 day challenge group beginning mid July, if anyone would like to join please leave message me or post below.

Replies

• cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lovely story and pictures, your family is beautiful. Great work, the both of you!
  • nks798
    nks798 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You both look great, congrats!!
  • simonkurth
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    thank you for the inspiration. You have a lovely family. Kudos for taking the right steps to ensure a long and healthy life them :)
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Wow! You must be so proud of yourself and your wife, you've both done an amazing job! :)
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Wow, great story, family, and success, amazing!
  • lamarnnem
    lamarnnem Posts: 189
    Options
    congrats you guys, amazing to read about a folks taking control of their fitness and nutrition. great work. fist bumps to you.
  • prdecatur
    prdecatur Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    awesome story and it's just the beginning for you, you both look fantastic and have made such wonderful transformations. Great inspiration to all the rest of us struggling to get to that point to. Keep pushing play!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    100% awesome.

Congrats man !
  • JewelSmith
    JewelSmith Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Beautiful couple..
  • simonkurth
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind words everyone :)
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    great job, man! You are very blessed to have a wife that is soooo supportive, as well! Keep up the good work.
  • aynit
    aynit Posts: 43
    Options
    Just inspirational - great!
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Your story was right from the heart, and it is humbling reading such honesty. Your transformations - physically, mentally and emotionally - are amazing. Well done on facing your demons, and for taking the steps you needed to take to turn it around. I agree, you are very blessed to have such a supportive wife, and I am sure she feels the same way about you. It is a very special thing to have been able to share and come through together. That says a lot about your marriage, and what kind of parents you are to your kids.

Congratulations, Simon, and all the best for your very special and bright future.

Wil
  • simonkurth
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Your story was right from the heart, and it is humbling reading such honesty. Your transformations - physically, mentally and emotionally - are amazing. Well done on facing your demons, and for taking the steps you needed to take to turn it around. I agree, you are very blessed to have such a supportive wife, and I am sure she feels the same way about you. It is a very special thing to have been able to share and come through together. That says a lot about your marriage, and what kind of parents you are to your kids.

Congratulations, Simon, and all the best for your very special and bright future.

Wil

Thank you Marlinwil,
    I took a moment to visit your profile page. You're an incredibly strong mum. You inspire me with your positive attitude and love for your children. Wishing you and your family all the best
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Amazing family story! Great job!
  • simonkurth
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • jessizona80
    jessizona80 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What a cool thing to do as a family! Congrats, you two look fantastic!
  • simonkurth
    Options
    What a cool thing to do as a family! Congrats, you two look fantastic!

Yes, it has improved all facets of our family life
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Such a great story! And you guys look years younger too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!