Lurking a facebook discussion, what would you say to this person?

Options
dqf58tdfxm19.png
5mznyx6ocm2t.png
4xrhct1h463d.png
iyynfvxdxlqe.png

So i have been lurking this conversation between a couple people on a facebook page for a couple days, i thought i would share it and ask, if this was you talking to this person, what would you say to them? Do you agree with them? Would you give them a shake? lol I am interesting to know the opinions! The comments are between someone named Tara and Tammy, Tara is the one talking about not counting calories, to lose weight. i finally piped in at the end as you can see. lol but interested to hear everyones thoughts on the snippets of conversation

2deuotdd99fg.png

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    I'd say, "Dammit, I forgot to buy the mini muffins at Target today!" True story. :)

I'd probably also chime in with my losing a whole thin person by counting calories and by knowing that's how I'll hopefully keep it off.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think they make a good point about chemicals, real food and sugar. I would agree with them on those points. Your body will work more effectively if you eat real foods and you will be less likely to get health conditions like cancer in the future. I read somewhere that you should drink organic milk, because regular milk has growth hormones in it, from trying to make cows as big as possible and has the same effect on humans. I'm not sure if that's true, but if it is, wow- scary! There's lots of stuff though like artificial sugar makes you crave real sugar. You should be careful about what you put into your body.

Counting calories is great, if its done properly. You can fill your body with 2000 calories with a small amount of junk and not feel satisfied and meet your nutritional needs, or you can fill your body with 2000 calories of natural goodness. Its up to you. I know what I would prefer.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I'd say 'different strokes for different folks' and let it go at that.
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I generally don't respond at all to derp. Let them think what they want.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Calories are literally units of energy...How can energy have nothing to do with metabolism?!?!

"Metabolism - Biology, Physiology. the sum of the physical and chemical processes in an organism by which its material substance is produced, maintained, and destroyed, and by which energy is made available."It's ALL about energy!!

Are all the processed foods and chemicals good for us? probably not....but red meat is linked to cancer...and that's a pretty "natural" food...so it is what it is.

"Adipose tissue, or fat, is an anatomical term for loose connective tissue composed of adipocytes. Its main role is to store energy in the form of fat, although it also cushions and insulates the body." Fat is energy storage...if you use your energy (calories)...then you won't have any to store...it's as simple as that.

Calories in, Calories out...everything else is just noise in terms of weight loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There's so much woo and derp in there I wouldn't even want to start. Too much cardio.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't say anything. But, if I were to say something, I would bring up the fact that I have been eating whole foods, for the most part nothing "packaged," etc for 15 years. I also thought it was all about the food, not the quantity. Still, I got to be, at my highest, 60 lbs heavier than I am at present. Now, with keeping track of CICO I have a better understanding of food, and I am nearing a sustainable healthy weight. But, since she doesn't need to change her mind, she is not going to. I would be wasting my time.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    It used to be back when food was food hahahah...... I wouldn't respond... that one there is in la-la land.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would apologize for taking something they posted for friends, a conversation I'm apparently not even party to, and posting it elsewhere for strangers to comment on and mock. Then I would unfriend myself.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would apologize for taking something they posted for friends, a conversation I'm apparently not even party to, and posting it elsewhere for strangers to comment on and mock. Then I would unfriend myself.

tumblr_inline_nwcb2hLJf11r4icj9_500.gif
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I couldn't even respond to that derp. Really, so there were never, ever any fat people back when "food was food"? She totally lost me when she first claims that we store "bad food" as fat, but then we can only digest "good food." Um, a body can't store undigested food. That's what the poop shoot is for.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Yeah, Im gonna post something on the internet and be mad cause its on the internet???
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd back out slowly. Too much derp. But I like your reply too.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The fact is, no matter how you lose the weight, over 80% of the people that lose, gain it back within 5 years. Some gain back even more weight than they lost. My maintenance goal is to make it over 5 years. Two years and 3 months on maintenance, and I have lost over 1/2 of my current body weight using MFP and counting calories. Seems to be working for me so far. No foods eliminated. Moderation and portion control in all foods.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yeesh. I would just say I hope your reach is minimal since you go around spewing misinformation about food and physiology.
    If she can see the convo then she is friends with one of them or it is on a public post. The internet is not a private place.

ETA: The overuse of "ever" in her post would be enough for me to bow out. LOL.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    "Hi, I'm Leanne, I've lost 28lb counting calories and I've kept every pound off for 2 years, while eating sweets everyday! Nice to meet you" :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So i have been lurking this conversation between a couple people on a facebook page for a couple days, i thought i would share it and ask, if this was you talking to this person, what would you say to them? Do you agree with them? Would you give them a shake? lol I am interesting to know the opinions! The comments are between someone named Tara and Tammy, Tara is the one talking about not counting calories, to lose weight. i finally piped in at the end as you can see. lol but interested to hear everyones thoughts on the snippets of conversation

I would ignore it unless I was asked my thoughts directly. At that point, I would say weight loss is about calories so calorie counting is very helpful proven tool for losing weight or maintaining. This is not a rational discussion though. This is a person who believes something easily proven false and doesn't want to hear facts or differing opinions. I would leave them to their delusional "real food" eating plan.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Unless the comments were directed at me on my wall/feed, or I was specifically tagged/asked for input...

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Nothing.