Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Somewhat Frustrated

I have lost over 100 lbs over the last year using MFP and exercise regime. I have been successful enough that last week, i was able to discontinue one of my bp meds, hydrochlorothiazide. Ever since i stopped, I have gained about 5 lbs, and climbing. I have not changed anything diet wise, kept up the exercise. I know i was a bit dehydrated but did not expect to gain this much and dread getting on the scale in the morning.

anyone else experience this weight gain after getting off meds?

Replies

• amdmngoal
    amdmngoal Posts: 2 Member
    Hello, I can only speak of my general belief about your bp med. IF it had a bit of a "water pill" or diuretic effect you could be experiencing some water retention. Congratulations on your weight loss!! I also have a 100 pound loss goal. My doctor told me to expect 2 years. How did you do it in one? Good luck with getting a handle on this creeping gain.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    edited February 2016
    I used to take that medication after I had radiation and I took it for edema (water retention). What helped me when I discontinued taking that medication was ensuring I drank enough water in a day. The less water I drank, the more my body retained fluid. I have to be careful with my sodium intake, and for myself (I can't speak for you or others); but I try to keep my daily sodium intake at less than 1500 (ideally around 1200). I also try to get my potassium as it also helps (not sure why; but for me it helps). Perhaps talk with your dr and get some feedback from them as to the direction you should take. I know for myself it took time for my body to adjust to not taking the hydrochlorothiazide but, in my opinion it was really worth it. Take care and congratulations on your successful weight loss. Ps. I took it for almost 14 years, so don't get discouraged. It will just take some time for your body to adjust and for you to make some changes (if necessary; such as increasing your water intake, decreasing sodium, etc).
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    My hubby takes BP medication and it makes him pee like crazy. I imagine you've just gained water weight. Drink lots of water and watch your sodium intake. I second talking to your doctor as well.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    HCTZ is a diuretic, and cessation will cause your water weight to spike. Give it time--You will equalize. Be glad you're healthy enough to ditch the med! I hope to be there one day!