Adding Turmeric

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Meh. The science isn't really there on turmeric. Don't get me wrong. It's delicious when used appropriately, but I wouldn't stress if you can't work it in every day.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/turmeric-tasty-in-curry-questionable-as-medicine/
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Oh_Cat wrote: »
    Make "Golden Milk" before bed! It's delicious, and it helps you sleep :)

Here's how I do it (there are lots of variations out there!)

+ 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (any milk is fine, I just like almond!)
    + 2 tsp turmeric
    + 1 tsp ginger
    + 1 tsp cinnamon
    + 4 cardamon pods, cracked
    + pinch of fresh black pepper
    + stevia / honey to taste

Warm everything together in a pan, whisking to incorporate all the spices (I use a milk frother for this!) Leave to cool a little, remove the cardamon pods and enjoy in your prettiest mug :)

I usually take mine with a magnesium supplement about an hour before I go to bed.

I came in here to suggest tumeric milk also -- I've been having it in the mornings and I love it.

I make mine like this:

2 cups milk (I use oat milk)
    1 teaspoon tumeric
    1 teaspoon ginger
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon cardamom
    2 dates

Blend until smooth, then heat (but I often drink it cold).

Sounds similar to a chai tea (without the tea, obviously)? It does sound sort of tasty, I have to admit
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Oh_Cat wrote: »
    Make "Golden Milk" before bed! It's delicious, and it helps you sleep :)

Here's how I do it (there are lots of variations out there!)

+ 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (any milk is fine, I just like almond!)
    + 2 tsp turmeric
    + 1 tsp ginger
    + 1 tsp cinnamon
    + 4 cardamon pods, cracked
    + pinch of fresh black pepper
    + stevia / honey to taste

Warm everything together in a pan, whisking to incorporate all the spices (I use a milk frother for this!) Leave to cool a little, remove the cardamon pods and enjoy in your prettiest mug :)

I usually take mine with a magnesium supplement about an hour before I go to bed.

I came in here to suggest tumeric milk also -- I've been having it in the mornings and I love it.

I make mine like this:

2 cups milk (I use oat milk)
    1 teaspoon tumeric
    1 teaspoon ginger
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon cardamom
    2 dates

Blend until smooth, then heat (but I often drink it cold).

Sounds similar to a chai tea (without the tea, obviously)? It does sound sort of tasty, I have to admit

I love it. I have no idea if tumeric is particularly good for me or not (science isn't there yet), I just dig the taste of it.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I make my chai boiling the whole spices - crushing them gently.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    This is a great recipe with low calories, and I say that as one who doesn't particularly like cauliflower.

http://reluctantentertainer.com/2015/01/skinnytastes-turmeric-roasted-cauliflower/

But I'm not seeing the need to focus on turmeric intake.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Meh. The science isn't really there on turmeric. Don't get me wrong. It's delicious when used appropriately, but I wouldn't stress if you can't work it in every day.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/turmeric-tasty-in-curry-questionable-as-medicine/

It's not a very good argument that there is nothing potentially beneficial there.
    The pertinent preclinical studies, in animal models and in vitro, indicate that curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties; can induce apoptosis in cancer cells and may inhibit angiogenesis; has antithrombotic effects; can decrease the amyloid plaque associated with Alzheimer’s; has some activity against bacteria, Leishmania, HIV; etc. These effects sound promising, but animal studies and in vitro studies may not be applicable to humans.

Science can't explain the placebo effect, either, but it's there. Science changes constantly.
  • tincanonastring
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    This is a great recipe with low calories, and I say that as one who doesn't particularly like cauliflower.

http://reluctantentertainer.com/2015/01/skinnytastes-turmeric-roasted-cauliflower/

Pseudoscience. Pseudoscience is always the reason for doing stuff like this.

ETA: And fallacious Appeals to Nature. Can't forget those.
  • tincanonastring
    edited February 2016
    Options

It's not a very good argument that there is nothing potentially beneficial there.
    The pertinent preclinical studies, in animal models and in vitro, indicate that curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties; can induce apoptosis in cancer cells and may inhibit angiogenesis; has antithrombotic effects; can decrease the amyloid plaque associated with Alzheimer’s; has some activity against bacteria, Leishmania, HIV; etc. These effects sound promising, but animal studies and in vitro studies may not be applicable to humans.

Science can't explain the placebo effect, either, but it's there. Science changes constantly.

Did you even read the part you quoted? Did you see the part where the author notes the adage that you can kill cancer cells in a petri dish with bleach? Are you ready to suck down a bottle of Clorox because of that potential? Just because these preclinical studies find potential does not mean it is applicable to people.

Curious why you would quote that part of the article instead of this bit:
    [re: National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) on turmeric] Under the section What the Science Says, it reads:
    • There is little reliable evidence to support the use of turmeric for any health condition because few clinical trials have been conducted.
    • Preliminary findings from animal and other laboratory studies suggest that a chemical found in turmeric—called curcumin—may have anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and antioxidant properties, but these findings have not been confirmed in people.
    • NCCAM-funded investigators have studied the active chemicals in turmeric and their effects—particularly anti-inflammatory effects—in human cells to better understand how turmeric might be used for health purposes. NCCAM is also funding basic research studies on the potential role of turmeric in preventing acute respiratory distress syndrome, liver cancer, and post-menopausal osteoporosis.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I put tumeric in things I'm already going to season strongly, like curries, hamburger patties, meatballs, sauces, etc. I wouldn't put it in anything like plain yogurt because that's all you'd taste. If you put it in a smoothie just add a banana - bananas tend to neutralize and hide things that normally wouldn't taste good in a smoothie. Garlic is also anti-inflammatory and I also load up my curries and meats with that. I love garlic though so it works out!

You can also add it in with the water when you boil rice and it will turn your rice golden yellow without changing the flavor.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    For anti inflammatory/medical purposes I would strongly recommend buying it in pill form to get the dosage you're looking for, and get a good brand as well. I'm not sure you'd want to eat that much of it!
  • annie_37
    annie_37 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    For anti inflammatory/medical purposes I would strongly recommend buying it in pill form to get the dosage you're looking for, and get a good brand as well. I'm not sure you'd want to eat that much of it!

^This

I take it for inflammation due to Hashimotos and Uveitis. I highly recommend taking it in pill form.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Me and my kids love it on baked fish. I also add other spices as others have suggested here. Yum
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You can also drink tumeric tea as others have said. Whole Foods or some other natural stores sell raw fresh tumeric, you can grate it, boil it with water, and the taste is very mild and pleasant. I was surprised the first time I had some. It is excellent for inflammation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Doesn't really factor into my own decision to have turmeric daily. But sure.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Doesn't really factor into my own decision to have turmeric daily. But sure.

Okay.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Unlike so many "natural" medicines, there actually is some body of evidence that the curcumin in turmeric may work as an anti-inflammatory drug. It hasn't really been well tested in humans at this point. But I try not to dismiss old wives tales entirely without at least checking the research. Its amazing what old wives tend to know. I tried some turmeric capsules when I had some shoulder joint issues for about 18 months. Didn't really help in my particular case.

Here's some stuff from the medical side. Note the frequent use of the words "may help."

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/turmeric/ataglance.htm
    http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/turmeric
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I add tumeric to tomato juice. It has help reduce joint inflammation in my hands.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    If you are taking a blood thinner please talk to your doctor before adding a lot of turmeric to your diet.

https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb-interaction/possible-interactions-with-turmeric
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I will add that a health food junkie & running buddy of mine used this as a supplement in pill form his last marathon training block. From his experience he was able to recover faster and log about 100 extra miles over the 4 month training cycle. The biggest benefit was not being as stiff and sore after the 16-20 mile long runs allowing him to have better recovery runs the following day and keep up with training. I've started my current training cycle this month and have incorporated it but it's still too early on to see if there are any effects. Hopefully after my 12 mile run Saturday I'll be pain free on Sunday morning, not likely but we can hope.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    What's the big need to get it into your diet every day?

There are no special additive properties to make it worth adding daily- it's like that whole cinnamon thing. Yeah its' good and tastes good and stuff and can be beneficial but it's not some special cure all.

There is some limited evidence that it has cancer slowing or stopping properties:
    cancerresearchuk.org

It also has supposed antimicrobial properties (which is one of the suggested reasons for it's use for marinades and cooking in places like India - where refrigeration may be scant):
    cen.acs.org

spices don't cure cancer.