Glute Medius Workouts?

Options
Hello! Any suggestions or tips for building the glute Medius muscle? I am currently trying to shape the sides of my hips, been doing regular abduction but barely see results, is there any other good workouts for this small muscle ?

Replies

• jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If there is a cable machine in your gym with an ankle wrap then you could do side leg/ankle extensions. Adjust the height to the bottom, stand parallel to the beam and then raise your legs outwards, "abducting" it. Standing will activate more muscles than the machine.
  • jennahudson01
    jennahudson01 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    If there is a cable machine in your gym with an ankle wrap then you could do side leg/ankle extensions. Adjust the height to the bottom, stand parallel to the beam and then raise your legs outwards, "abducting" it. Standing will activate more muscles than the machine.

I currently use the cables for kick backs, I go to planet fitness and there ankle straps suck but I will try next time :)
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Clams, single leg stance with knee hold against wall, 1 leg squats, band walks, hip hikes, bridges, single leg single arm deadlifts.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Fire hydrants, too, because it's a great angle. And moves done with your legs turned out like in ballet (so things like plie squats, kickbacks using turnout, etc). Don't force turnout far or you could hurt yourself. Be comfortable.

If the strap isn't good, you can also just try to get your leg higher and hold up there (like an arabesque or attitude) for each slow rep. Watch your low back with that (don't use it). Legs are pretty heavy, so holding them up high can build strength, unless it's already easy for you.
  • kdogni
    kdogni Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Single leg glute bridges? Or maybe I've got it wrong.
  • jennahudson01
    jennahudson01 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Fire hydrants, too, because it's a great angle. And moves done with your legs turned out like in ballet (so things like plie squats, kickbacks using turnout, etc). Don't force turnout far or you could hurt yourself. Be comfortable.

If the strap isn't good, you can also just try to get your leg higher and hold up there (like an arabesque or attitude) for each slow rep. Watch your low back with that (don't use it). Legs are pretty heavy, so holding them up high can build strength, unless it's already easy for you.

Thanks !! Very helpful
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yoga!