Losing weight with weights

Options
I had a question.
If I was to work out my body
Back, chest, legs, arms and worked out very lite.
For instance if I did bicep curls at 10lbs and doing 10seta of 10
Maybe even continuing to 5lbs doing another 10 sets. Would I burn weight and tighten up?

Replies

• jakeziskin1
    jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I get tired of the olyptical and tedmil. I don't really like lifting heavy I just wanna lose more body fat and tone up.
    I went from 255lbs to 195lbs and dropping to 180lbs
    I use to be 40% body fat, now I'm at 19. I'd like to be down to around 7/8% is this a good idea with the life weights
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you consume fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. You can do that by eating less, moving more (all physical activity burns calories), or a combination. But you already know that, as you've already lost 75 pounds.

Bicep curls are not a big calorie burner. At that weight (5/10 lbs), the additional calorie burn will be minimal when you look at the big picture. Your best bet to go from 19% to 7/8% fat is to be patient with what is already working. Keep in mind that if you do not do some sort of resistance training (meaning a good balanced program) your look at 7/8% body fat is not likely to be what I'm guessing you want it to be.

Actually, it may be helpful if you post a picture of what kind of look you're going for.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    I appreciate the advice and yes I do know it's lowering my calories. What my question was asking primarily and I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear. I'm trying to tone up. I can lift heavy but I don't enjoy it. I was curious if I did lite weights and high reps would it shred me up?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In that case, no - not really. It's better than nothing, but it likely won't do what you want it to.

Here - read this series: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the advice and yes I do know it's lowering my calories. What my question was asking primarily and I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear. I'm trying to tone up. I can lift heavy but I don't enjoy it. I was curious if I did lite weights and high reps would it shred me up?

It still mainly comes down to your diet, but you don't have to "lift heavy" to get shredded; you just have to have some kind of progressive overload. So if it's light weights you want, go for it; you just can't do the same weights/reps for months and expect change.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    "Getting shredded" is a combination of muscle mass and low bodyfat. Honestly, I suggest people generally worry less about getting shredded and concentrate on getting strong - the aesthetics are a side effect of that.
  • jemhh
    edited February 2016
    Options

To me, shredded implies a decent amount of muscle mass, which super light weights is not going to give you. Generally I refrain from dismissing low weights as "too light" because we all start in different places but I feel comfortable stating that 10 pounds, for a full grown adult male, is super light. If you want the look, you need to put in the work, and that means lifting heavier weights. You don't have to go really heavy, there are plenty of people who stay in the 6-8 or 8-12 rep range, which means lifting weights lighter than those in the 3-5 rep range. That's fine. But super light weight isn't going to get you what you want.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    I guess my biggest concern is dropping body fat. I'd like to be between 6-8% like I said I'm 19% now and it just seems hard to drop any lower
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So you don't like putting forth effort basically? Unless you take those light weights and do them for a ridiculous amount of reps to where your muscles are on fire, you aren't really accomplishing anything.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    That's what I do with the light weights
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    So you don't like putting forth effort basically? Unless you take those light weights and do them for a ridiculous amount of reps to where your muscles are on fire, you aren't really accomplishing anything.

I look for advice when I write my posts not judgement. I wouldn't have went from 255-195 if I didn't put in an effort. That's a joke to me and honestly rude. I work out 5-6 times a week and I asked a simple question regarding lite weights to tone that's all. If lifting heavy gets you tone il continue to do so thanks.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I guess my biggest concern is dropping body fat. I'd like to be between 6-8% like I said I'm 19% now and it just seems hard to drop any lower

You have lost a lot of weight. 75 lbs, right? How did you do that? Were you weighing solid foods, measuring liquids, and logging your calories based on verifiable nutrition info such as that from the USDA or food labels? If not, now is the time to start. When you are very overweight, it is fairly easy to lose weight by taking an honest look at what you eat and cutting out oversized portions. Once you get down to a certain point, though, you often have to tighten up your methods and do the things I mentioned above (weighing, measuring, etc.)

If you are already doing all of that, consider dropping calories a bit more. Alternately, you could take a break for awhile. I lost 52 pounds in 2014. I spent most of 2015 focused on gaining strength. Yes, I went up and down 5 pounds either way a few times, but I pretty much just focused on eating at/around maintenance and working on my general fitness/strength goals. Now in 2016, I am focused on losing a bit of additional weight. While you don't necessarily need to take a full year off, a few weeks or so after a huge loss could go a far way to re-energize your efforts.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You have lost a lot of weight. 75 lbs, right? How did you do that? Were you weighing solid foods, measuring liquids, and logging your calories based on verifiable nutrition info such as that from the USDA or food labels? If not, now is the time to start. When you are very overweight, it is fairly easy to lose weight by taking an honest look at what you eat and cutting out oversized portions. Once you get down to a certain point, though, you often have to tighten up your methods and do the things I mentioned above (weighing, measuring, etc.)

If you are already doing all of that, consider dropping calories a bit more. Alternately, you could take a break for awhile. I lost 52 pounds in 2014. I spent most of 2015 focused on gaining strength. Yes, I went up and down 5 pounds either way a few times, but I pretty much just focused on eating at/around maintenance and working on my general fitness/strength goals. Now in 2016, I am focused on losing a bit of additional weight. While you don't necessarily need to take a full year off, a few weeks or so after a huge loss could go a far way to re-energize your efforts.

So far I lost 65lbs since October. I always track my food and have been very good with what I eat. I always weigh what I'm eating, I have a scale, measuring cups and more. I haven't had ice cream, pizza, soda, beer, chips, cookies, candy and more since I've started my fit in October. I've come along way and I have 15lbs and 11% body fat to go. I know ice cream will still exist in 6months. I know what it tastes like and I enjoy it along with all other treats, but right now I want to enjoy me. I want the body I've always wanted. I like how wwe superstars look, not big buff body builders..well some of them are, and that's not what I'm interested in. but I like how tone and muscular they are and that's what I wanna look like. I know this is achievable. I'm just going to lift a little more each week and spend 15 more mins a day on cardio. I feel this wil help me a lot.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

So far I lost 65lbs since October. I always track my food and have been very good with what I eat. I always weigh what I'm eating, I have a scale, measuring cups and more. I haven't had ice cream, pizza, soda, beer, chips, cookies, candy and more since I've started my fit in October. I've come along way and I have 15lbs and 11% body fat to go. I know ice cream will still exist in 6months. I know what it tastes like and I enjoy it along with all other treats, but right now I want to enjoy me. I want the body I've always wanted. I like how wwe superstars look, not big buff body builders..well some of them are, and that's not what I'm interested in. but I like how tone and muscular they are and that's what I wanna look like. I know this is achievable. I'm just going to lift a little more each week and spend 15 more mins a day on cardio. I feel this wil help me a lot.

That wwe superstars look was created by lifting heavy weights on a consistent basis plus agility training.
    Big buff body builder types were created by lifting heavy weights and taking a lot of banned substances (excepting the tested natural comps of course).

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I look for advice when I write my posts not judgement. I wouldn't have went from 255-195 if I didn't put in an effort. That's a joke to me and honestly rude. I work out 5-6 times a week and I asked a simple question regarding lite weights to tone that's all. If lifting heavy gets you tone il continue to do so thanks.

Here's a great article to read about getting "toned", which cuts through a lot of the BS: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • jemhh
    edited February 2016
    Options

I just googled "WWE superstars" because I am not really up on them. I got the picture below. The people in that picture lift heavy weights and carry enough body fat that they don't look like competition ready bodybuilders (just like most competitive bodybuilders carry more body fat during the off season.) These aren't people who are lifting really light. The people in the picture likely take PEDs too. If that's the look you're going for, you need to be realistic about what will get you there. You don't have to choose PEDs but you will have to put in the time lifting. You can continue to lose weight without doing serious resistance exercise but you will just look like a smaller version of what you look like now, not like somebody in this picture.

wwe_superstars_wallpaper.jpg
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    but I like how tone and muscular they are and that's what I wanna look like. I know this is achievable. I'm just going to lift a little more each week and spend 15 more mins a day on cardio. I feel this wil help me a lot.

They lift- and they lift heavy. To see muscle one must BUILD the muscle. Then cut body fat to reveal said muscle. Low weight high rep isnt going to get you the look I *think* you are saying you want.
    There is a misconception about lifting heavy. But if you dont like it you dont like it.
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    Yep, for each pound of weight you're lifting, that's how much weight you'll lose per week. So if you wanna lose 20 lbs, add 20 lbs to your lift. You'll see the results in a week.

Um. No, no and no.
  • jemhh
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Yep, for each pound of weight you're lifting, that's how much weight you'll lose per week. So if you wanna lose 20 lbs, add 20 lbs to your lift. You'll see the results in a week.

Um. No, no and no.

S/he's a troll. Never posts anything of worth.
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

Um. No, no and no.

S/he's a troll. Never posts anything of worth.

Ooooh, mkay. Noted!