Question RE:calories vs. awake time

Options
Does the amount of calories vary for those who are awake less hours vs those who are up for more? For instance, Im usually awake by 4 am and to bed by 10 pm. Do I need more calories vs someone who is up at 8am and to bed by 9pm? TY :)

Replies

• shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    *the activity level is the same
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If the activity level is the same it should be fairly equal. I know that my Fitbit logs 14.4 calories per 15 minutes when I am asleep. There are evenings when I'm sitting and reading a book and it logs the same number of calories. But then there are evenings when I'm more active and the calories are higher.

This isn't something I'd spend a ton of time thinking about though.
  • shortntall1
    Options
    TY..i was hoping Id be allowed a few more calories LOL
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Calorie allowance directly correlates with calories burned through activity.

Being awake longer MAY affect how active you are (thus, indirectly affecting calories burned & calorie allowance, but it isn't going to be a perfect and direct correlation.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    your BMR calories will be the same, the only difference will be is how active you are. if you are awake at 4 and just laying in bed versus up at 4 and at the gym on the treadmill.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    /thread

Well said by those who've already spoken.
  • shortntall1
    Options
    ty a bunch
  • jemhh
    Options
    TY..i was hoping Id be allowed a few more calories LOL

If I had the opportunity to be in bed from 9p to 8a each day rather than 10p to 4a I'd jump on it. That's assuming I'm still getting done what I need to get done. Why get up at 4 if it's not necessary?
  • shortntall1
    Options
    Because my body clock is just set that way..Im wide awake then.
  • jemhh
    Options

Then I'm kind of confused about the question. If you can't sleep past 4, it doesn't really matter what happens if you sleep until 8, right? I think I'm lost.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Then I'm kind of confused about the question. If you can't sleep past 4, it doesn't really matter what happens if you sleep until 8, right? I think I'm lost.

I think she's asking if she needs more calories than another person, with the same base calorie needs, who does sleep more.
  • jemhh
    Options

I think she's asking if she needs more calories than another person, with the same base calorie needs, who does sleep more.

Ok. I thought she was considering going to the sleep more schedule and I was thinking DO IT! :smiley:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Ok. I thought she was considering going to the sleep more schedule and I was thinking DO IT! :smiley:

Correct answer is always "More sleep."
  • shortntall1
    Options
    lol ty i wish i could