QUICK - can I do this at the gym?

Options
I'm leaving for the gym and just saw my program for today includes dumbbell step-ups on a bench. I've never seen anyone do this at the gym. Am I going to get in trouble for putting my feet on the bench? I always wipe it when I'm done. Lol.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Depends on the gym. My gym has aerobic benches and plyo boxes that can be used for step ups. I've never attempted them on the benches there.

Also, if their benches are too cushy they will be difficult to do. You'll be all wibbly wobbly. A bench that is at least as wide as your foot is long (or a bit wider) is the best bet for solid footing.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - there are only regular weight benches. Maybe I will lunge instead.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to use these?

k2-_2cb3c54d-c948-48a5-a637-a6460672a2fd.v1.jpg

Honestly as a fellow gym patron I'd be more upset that I might have to wait for a bench while someone uses it for step ups than shoes being on it.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure they are referring to the bench you are thinking of. Like jemhh said, it might be an aerobic bench or plyo box, but they are just using the term "bench".
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I would just ask at the desk if the benches are allowed to be used for step ups.

IMO using a bench for a step up is perfectly legit unless there is some sort of policy against it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I would just ask at the desk if the benches are allowed to be used for step ups.

IMO using a bench for a step up is perfectly legit unless there is some sort of policy against it.

This.
    Most gyms have a policy of no outdoor shoes so your shoes shouldn't be too dirty and you plan on wiping it. I'd just ask to be sure.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure they are referring to the bench you are thinking of. Like jemhh said, it might be an aerobic bench or plyo box, but they are just using the term "bench".

I've had workout plans that provided photos and it was a bench pictured, as in a weight bench.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I've done them on weight lifting benches with no problems