Walk Away The Pounds... Your thoughts

Options
Just did the first one mile video. Seems very simply.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    what is it? You need a calorie deficit to lose weight, unless walking is putting you in a calorie deficit, you wont lose weight. generally, if you are not paying attention to what you're eating then no amount of exercise will put you in a deficit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    what is it? You need a calorie deficit to lose weight, unless walking is putting you in a calorie deficit, you wont lose weight. generally, if you are not paying attention to what you're eating then no amount of exercise will put you in a deficit.

Low impact aerobics without choreography. Leslie Sansone....newer DVDs are from her Just Walk series (nice bright studio, music only options).

This is a great way to get cardio in, anyplace, any weather, any time

Here's a link to the group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/335-leslie-sansone-walk-at-home
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    She's been around forever, and is respected. If you log her walks as the miles given, you might want to be aware they are a bit exaggerated for most people. I tested some with just a Fitbit that does accurate mileage estimates. I mean, her '2-mile walk and jog' might've been 1.5 miles (not that you're going anywhere), for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    She's been around forever, and is respected. If you log her walks as the miles given, you might want to be aware they are a bit exaggerated for most people. I tested some with just a Fitbit that does accurate mileage estimates. I mean, her '2-mile walk and jog' might've been 1.5 miles (not that you're going anywhere), for me.

I log as low impact aerobics (number of minutes).....that was pretty close to my heart rate monitor. But yeah, the "mileage" isn't quite right.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Walking is an acceptable form of exercise.
    Weight loss is about 80% eating at a calorie deficit, 10% exercise, 10% genetics.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Eat away the pounds is how you do it. Not walking.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I like them as a supplement to use when it's cold or rainy out. They are very simple. If you just want a little exercise or need something low impact, they're fine. But if you're looking for something with weights or HIIT or such, these probably won't fit the bill for you.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love Leslie. Lost 35lbs doing Leslie's 5 mile walk every morning. It also increased my fitness levels. It lowered my resting heart rate to 48 bpm and gave me loads of stamina. Keep doing the mile untill you feel you can do more, then up it to 2 miles, until you are doing the 5 miles. I love the jogging bit at the end of each mile.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    There is a men's version which I got for DH. he liked it very much and used it 2 or 3 times. And that's all ....
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have several of Walk Away The Pounds DVDs. I use them in the Winter when I cannot get out and walk outside. I think they are really good and I have had success with them. I also have a fitbit and 30 minutes doing a two mile DVD burned around 200 calories.
  • KyriaCathy
    KyriaCathy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    She is an excellent compliment to a weight loss program. Yes, you need a calorie deficit to lose weight but the added benefit of exercise can not be dismissed! The physical, emotional and hormonal benefits will augment your journey is sooooo many ways! Go for it!!!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you all are talking about but walking is my usual exercise. I put on my shoes, go out the door and walk. No DVD necessary. :)
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are going to walk do it for 45min to an hour. Fitbit is good on youtube
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is important for weight loss to eat at a deficit, BUT regular exercise has so many other health benefits. Even when I suck at keeping my calories in check I still go to the gym. It keeps the habit alive, minimizes the damage I could be doing and helps keep my heart and lungs active. I encourage all forms of activity whether they are for weight loss or not. You didn't mention in your OP if you are doing it to lose weight or not.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If it's getting you up and moving around then I don't see why that's a bad thing. While cutting back your calorie consumption does cause you to lose weight, exercise increases the deficit. Not only that but it's good for your heart and your body so it's a win-win. I also know from my own personal experience (I italicized that because I know people will skip over the fact that I am speaking about my own experience) that no matter how many calories I cut if I don't do some sort of cardio vascular activity in addition to lifting weights at the gym the weight doesn't leave. If I add in cardio then I'm dropping inches.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Eat away the pounds is how you do it. Not walking.

If walking creates any kind of deficit then you will lose weight. In fact it's a brilliant low injury risk way of going about it.
    Of course, one needs to be watching the calories like a hawk.

• KyriaCathy
    KyriaCathy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you all are talking about but walking is my usual exercise. I put on my shoes, go out the door and walk. No DVD necessary. :)
    Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds! She has tons of DVD's. She's an excellent way to kick start an exercise program, increase stamina and confidence. Also great when the weathers bad or the baby's sleeping!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I really like them.
    Lots of different choices.
    Good way to start out or cope with inclement weather.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

It's currently 21 degrees outside with ice everywhere... love Leslie as an option when the weather isn't favorable. Also, I suffer from awful hayfever in the fall. She's good then too. :)

• time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Great way to lose weight when combined with a calorie deficit.