Over Training

Options
There's a huge discussion if whether or not over training actually exists but call it whatever you like, what are the signs that you're doing more than you can handle? for me it's a constant hamstring ache and almost a fever like feeling throughout my whole body. Lets hear yours..

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    When I was triathlon training (iron-distance) at some stage I had a training load of 15+ hours a week. It was a gruelling schedule, training twice a day most days and sometimes I felt like crying on Wednesday, looking at the schedule and stressing about the long run I would have to on Sunday. I started to feel very fragile mentally. That's when I noticed I was overtraining. Physically I was okay.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    When I was triathlon training (iron-distance) at some stage I had a training load of 15+ hours a week. It was a gruelling schedule, training twice a day most days and sometimes I felt like crying on Wednesday, looking at the schedule and stressing about the long run I would have to on Sunday. I started to feel very fragile mentally. That's when I noticed I was overtraining. Physically I was okay.

Ye i could imagine with that type of workload your anxiety would be through the roof!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I notice insomnia, and lethargic throughout the day (probably from not sleeping). never really had any issues with muscle aches. I lift for 1-1.5 hours 5x per week and do 2-3 20min HIIT sesssions per week while in a calorie deficit and I don't really get any overtraining symptoms. I do take a deload week every two months, and my cuts usually only last for 3.
  • rachpie90
    rachpie90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Definitely exists. I've had it a few times, it generally weakness your immune system and makes you more tired and suceptible to injury. Rest is absolutely imperative for your body to improve, same with your mind.

Take your rest days! :)
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Elevated resting pulse rate, deep fatigue, mental aversion to training (going to the gym seems like the worst idea in the world), eventually injury.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I follow a Bulgarian style training method so that requires squatting 4-6 days a week which can take a toll on you, when i did a powerlifting meet a couple of years back the build up to the meet left me mentally over trained, body was fine mind went to *kitten* haha.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Overtraining is subjective to individual.

I've ran 5-18 miles every day for nine months while lifting heavy 4 days a week and busting work as a carpenter.

I've worked out lifting heavy weights every day from 2-3 hour for the past 4 months.

All with a weak immune system, kidneys that were failing at one point, and a joint disease that makes it hard to walk and lift a cup of coffee in the morning.

It's a balancing act, takes knowledge of what you are doing as well as the ability to understand your body.

In general I think some people schedule a rest day that isn't necessarily needed yet in their mind it works for them.

Only time will tell what works for you depending on your skill, body reaction, time, ability to achieve your goals.