Homemade Pasta Sauce

Options
Nelson081
Nelson081 Posts: 27 Member
So I'm looking for a new homemade pasta sauce, the stuff out of the can bores me. Anybody have a sauce recipes they'd like to share? Healthy is a bonus of course. Im game for anything with good flavor. If you have the nutrition facts that would also be a bonus. Thanks!

Replies

• matthewcoenen
    Options
    This is my "pasta sauce for one" recipe. I make it often. It's easy and works perfect with 6 oz. of pasta.

8 oz. can tomato sauce
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. dried oregano
    1/8 tsp. dried basil
    1/16 tsp. crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
    2 cloves garlic, minced (I use freeze dried garlic -- about 1 tsp.)

Stir all ingredients together in a small sauce pan and cook on medium/medium-low while your pasta water boils and your pasta cooks. (Around 15 minutes total).
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/pesto-marcella-hazan-448339

I think pesto is the mother of all pasta sauces.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    This is my basic marinara sauce:

2 cans whole peeled tomatoes
    1 white onion
    1 carrot
    2 celery stalks
    4 cloves garlic
    1 12oz can tomato paste
    2 cups chicken broth
    pinch of oregano
    salt and pepper

Chop up the onion, carrot, celery stalks and garlic, and put them in a caserole dish with the canned tomatoes. Cut up the tomatoes a little bit. Put in a 425 degree F oven for about an hour. Take out, put the roasted veggies and the rest of the ingredients into a large pan, blend with a stick blender (or do this in a blender before you put it in the pan) and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. I make a huge batch of this about once a month. It keeps in the freezer for up to 6 months and in the fridge for about 1 month. It's so yummy and you can turn it into cream sauce by adding yogurt, meat by adding anything ground, or use it plain. It's SO versatile.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I toss a jar of no sodium added fire roasted tomatoes (I always use Muir Glen), 1 medium yellow onion, and 2 cloves of garlic in a pot. I just loosely chop the onion and mash the garlic with a knife.

Simmer for an hour or so (until the onion is soft and it all simmers down a bit).

Add whatever spices you want (I use sage, oregano, thyme, and parsley)... .and buzz it with a stick blender (I leave the onion/garlic in there when I buzz it). I taste it then and if it's SUPER acidic (doesn't usually happen with the muir glen brand) I add a tiny bit of brown sugar.

DELICIOUS.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like 1Tbsp olive oil whisked together with 1-2Tbsp lemon juice with plenty of cracked pepper and dill or parsley. This stretches pretty far and tastes absolutely delicious, particularly on pasta with lots of fresh veggies.

For red sauce I use 1Tbsp olive oil, 1 can diced tomatoes, 2-4Tbsp minced garlic, 1/4 cup minced onion, and tons of seasonings (I like a ton of shredded basil, a tiny bit of red pepper flakes, sage to taste, and a moderate amount of grated lemon zest). Heat the oil and sauté the onion/garlic mixture; turn heat to medium-low and add the tomatoes; stir until heated through & oil has incorporated with tomatoes; add seasonings and simmer for ~5 minutes.
  • Nelson081
    Options
    Will defiantly keep these all in mind, all sound very good!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

As an Italian, I'm claiming that sauce for pasta is in my blood! :laugh: You can find my recipe for sugo pomodoro (tomato sauce) on my blog (along with loads of other yummy, healthy food!)...

I hope you like it! :bigsmile:

http://www.yumsome.com/sugo-pomodoro/
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Great to see the use of passata. I use the stuff several times a week and just add chopped garlic, mixed herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano mix), and a little black pepper. If I'm making a beef ragu I will add a crumbled stock cube too to bring out the flavour of the minced beef.
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas that I'll definitely be trying!
  • Nelson081
    Options
    Hiya!

As an Italian, I'm claiming that sauce for pasta is in my blood! :laugh: You can find my recipe for sugo pomodoro (tomato sauce) on my blog (along with loads of other yummy, healthy food!)...

I hope you like it! :bigsmile:

http://www.yumsome.com/sugo-pomodoro/

Will check it out, thanks!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Veggie Sauce (about five servings, you can freeze it):
    Put a chopped onion, 2 chopped peppers, 100 g of white beans and a small thinly chopped potato in a pan with some olive oil (you don't need much, 1 or 2 tbsp should be enough), cook slowly for about 10 minutes then add passata and let it cook for another 15 minutes.
    I literally drown my pasta in this sauce! It has more calories than plain tomato sauce but it's much more filling so it makes me eat less pasta and more veggies.

Green Sauce:
    Cook zucchini in a pan then throw them in the blender with canned peas, salt, pepper, and oat cream (you can use regular cream or low-fat, you only need it to make the sauce smooth). Very tasty, even more with some parmesan cheese on top.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    ham cubes
    green onions
    half white onion
    tomatoes
    light cream cheese
    light soft cheese
    herbs

1 serving 215 cal without spaghetti
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    You need the pasta for this - you can't make it in advance - but I LOVE it!

Cook your pasta (75g per person), ading 80G frozen baby broad beans or petit pois when the pasta has 3-4 minutes lefft to cook. Oven bake a salmon fillet per person (or skip this stage and shred up smoked salmon instead).

When the pasta is ready, drain, reserving a cup or so of the water.

Return pasta and beans to the (rinsed) pan and add 50g light Philadelphia per person (I love the one with roasted peppers, but most of the flavours work - I don't suggest trying the chocolate:laugh: ) and stir it into the hot pasta with a spoonful of the water, adding more water as needed to make the sauce smooth. Add seasoning and a little dried dill (the herb not the pickle!) and stir through the baked or smoked salmon. Serve with a little grated parmesan on top (before embarking on weight loss I also used to add Parmesan to the sauce:ohwell: )
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I need some serious tips , I just do the old school tomato canned , oregano , basil , some chillie and onions.

IN4MORE
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    my basic sauce is

8-10 fresh tomatoes roughly chopped
    1 large white onion chopped
    4-6 cloves garlic minced
    1 tsp unrefined sugar
    15ml extra virgin olive oil
    1 tbsp oregano (or basil, or thyme, or a mix) (fresh when i have it or dried from my store cupboard
    250ml water (or chicken or vegetable stock)
    1 tsp sea salt
    big grind of black pepper

Tha'ts the basic sauce I make - sometimes I add a splash of balsamic vinegar or a tablespoon of chilli flakes. I add other ingredients to make it into a meal or pour it over pasta and meat and vegetables.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Pasta freak here! Just checking in for new ideas! :drinker:
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention one of my favourite ones, pasta alla Norma :)
    Prepare your basic tomato sauce then add sliced eggplants (they should be fried but sautéing will work as well) and ricotta salata (which is a dried and salted variant of cottage cheese, if you can't find it parmesan cheese will be OK too).

Pumpkin pasta:
    You need about 200g of diced pumpkin. Steam it until it's quite soft, put 2/3 in the blender with some salt and dried garlic (you may add some cream for extra smoothness). You can blend it all but I like to keep some dices whole. Top with black pepper.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bump to review later
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, the key to a great pasta sauce is to add meat to it, either chicken legs\thighs (my preferred option although i dont eat the chicken, my son does), pork chops or beef, but not minced beef as its no where near as good nd releases too much fat,
    but the meat flavours it so much, and things like pork chops are great when cooked in the sauce,
    i also, substitute normal onions for spring onions, so much better,

have a few variations on pasta sauce as i have eaten copious amounts of it over the years, but here is one i had the other day

(i dont measure quantities except by look so not exact)
    4 tins of good quality tomatoes (makes sense to make enough for a few dinners as does not work out cheap for one)
    1 1/4 tin of water per tin of tamatoes
    good quality olive oil
    2 pork chops
    1 red pepper (i dont eat it and only put it in for flavour so cut into quarters)
    2-3 chopped white head bits of spring onion
    2-3 birds eye chilli's finely chopped
    2-4 cloves of garlic (or garlic puree as an alternative)
    herbs of your choice (i use italian mixed herbs mostly)
    a little salt
    a little pepper
    tomato puree

fry the pork chops on a medium heat and introduce the red pepper half way through, then when pretty much cooked add chilli, garlic and spring onion
    fry for another 3-4 minutes, then squeeze a little tomato puree and mix in, then add salt, pepper and herbs and then pour over the tomatoes,
    now the longer you leave the sauce on a very low heat the better, stirring occasionally, anything around 30 minutes is good, 40-60 mins is great,

now 2 options, as a starter you can serve the pork chops separately with a little sauce over the top, some nice salad and good quality crusty loaf,
    or you can chop it up and eat it with your pasta,
    also, if you have an italian delicatessen anywhere near you, get things like pasta and Parmesan from there as so much better than the supermarket