Gymming

Options
2»

Replies

• worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i dunno but... if you did pushups for two hours probably not. if you stayed at the gym to avoid doing something else you needed to do, probably not. other than that, if you like spending two hours in the gym, spend two hours in the gym.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm going to play racquetball for an hour or so and then go lift. So if you have the time and you're having fun, why not? Enjoy! :smiley:
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm here just to add another question:

With my tight schedule, I have two choices:
    1: go to the gym (or workout in general) 5-6 times a week for an hour each
    2: go to the gym 3 times a week for 1.5 to 2 hours each

What do you all reckon?
    @Mapalicious

What are your goals? (Endurance cardio or training for long duration sports would change the answer.)

Can you sustain the same intensity / quality of training for the longer workouts as compared to the shorter ones?

@sijomial My goals now are to get a fitter upper-body for my wedding in August :)

In the last 10years i've had a 125 lb weight loss, first half due to walking and yoga, second half due to yoga and running, but up-keep in the last 6 years only due to lower-body workouts (cycling, spinning, running, hiking).

Now with the wedding coming up (summer, outdoor wedding) I want to strengthen my upper-body and arms and back. And with plans to have a baby soon after, I want to have a good strong core for when the little one needs to be supported, then pushed!

So aesthetic, and practical.
    My routine now is:
    Everyday: 5 mile commute to and from work by bicycle
    Tuesday: 55 minutes intensive circuit training class
    Thursday or friday: 1.5 hours of intense elliptical OR run + 15-25 minutes on rowing machine, and a few core exercises
    Sunday: 1 hour spinning class + 15-20 minutes on rowing machine

• wanzik
    Options
    Congratulations. I'd recommend throwing a little bit of free weight work into the mix to help tone.

You're going to rock it!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    Congratulations. I'd recommend throwing a little bit of free weight work into the mix to help tone.

You're going to rock it!

Thanks! I sure hope so. 7 more months of this hopefully will allow me to be a bride w/o arm wings!

Free weights...I have 2 ten-lb weights at home I sometimes throw around a little. I should maybe do this about 10-15 minutes everyday?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm here just to add another question:

With my tight schedule, I have two choices:
    1: go to the gym (or workout in general) 5-6 times a week for an hour each
    2: go to the gym 3 times a week for 1.5 to 2 hours each

What do you all reckon?
    @Mapalicious

What are your goals? (Endurance cardio or training for long duration sports would change the answer.)

Can you sustain the same intensity / quality of training for the longer workouts as compared to the shorter ones?

@sijomial My goals now are to get a fitter upper-body for my wedding in August :)

In the last 10years i've had a 125 lb weight loss, first half due to walking and yoga, second half due to yoga and running, but up-keep in the last 6 years only due to lower-body workouts (cycling, spinning, running, hiking).

Now with the wedding coming up (summer, outdoor wedding) I want to strengthen my upper-body and arms and back. And with plans to have a baby soon after, I want to have a good strong core for when the little one needs to be supported, then pushed!

So aesthetic, and practical.
    My routine now is:
    Everyday: 5 mile commute to and from work by bicycle
    Tuesday: 55 minutes intensive circuit training class
    Thursday or friday: 1.5 hours of intense elliptical OR run + 15-25 minutes on rowing machine, and a few core exercises
    Sunday: 1 hour spinning class + 15-20 minutes on rowing machine
    @Mapalicious
    125lb loss! Colour me impressed.

I do a load of cardio (I do Audax cycling events) and it's changed my body but primarily it's built my fitness and endurance.
    If you want to reshape your upper body then swap out some of your cardio for weights would be my advice.
    Your rowing, elliptical and spinning all have a strong resistance element and will help if you do them with intensity but you will see fastest/best results from working your upper body with weights - three times a week preferably if you are a beginner. Your option #1 of 5-6 one hour visits would be better if you are serious about weights.

I balance my strength and cardio by doing upper body weights (almost all compound lifts) and cardio on alternate days. A "sort of" upper/lower body split.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

You're going to rock it!

Thanks! I sure hope so. 7 more months of this hopefully will allow me to be a bride w/o arm wings!

Free weights...I have 2 ten-lb weights at home I sometimes throw around a little. I should maybe do this about 10-15 minutes everyday?

Not every day but certainly 3 or 4 days a week...my bingo wings are history since I started lifting :smile:
  • lovecrystaljoy
    lovecrystaljoy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Kukkie157 wrote: »
    Is it ok to workout for like 2 hours straight at the gym?

They say you first 15 mins only warms you up and you don't start to burn fat till at least 30mins of working out
  • wanzik
    Options

You're going to rock it!

Well, maybe biceps one day (concentration curls, hammer curls), triceps one day (lying down or sitting), shoulders one day (shuggs and flies), back one day (bent over flies and lifts). Just some examples since your focus is upper body. Lots of reps.

RunRutheeRun: Just say NO to Bingo Wing!!! LOL!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Kukkie157 wrote: »
    Is it ok to workout for like 2 hours straight at the gym?

They say you first 15 mins only warms you up and you don't start to burn fat till at least 30mins of working out
    @lovecrystaljoy
    Don't listen to "they" - it's utter rubbish.
    The fuel you burn is nearly always a blend and it's exercise intensity which determines the blend - not duration.
    The fuel you burn during your exercise is of virtually no importance compared to your calorie deficit over the course of a day.