Sugar intake

Options
Bit of advice please. So my fitness pal has said I should have 70g of sugar a day. It just told me I've gone over by 8 grams already.
Most of it came from breakfast (small hand of granola and zero fat yoghurt) and lunch (Covent garden carrot soup 133calories!)
So it's natural sugars, is this still gonna hinder the weight loss?
Only had 1400 calories today (I'm 6ft4 and not small framed) but don't wanna eat ANYTHING with sugars now :/

Replies

• ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you exercise, it will lift up the amount of sugar you can have. I always go over my sugar as well :(
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't have a medical condition that you haven't shared, going over your sugar goal won't hinder your weight loss. Weight loss is determined by the calories you consume, not the sugars. Many of us don't pay attention to the sugar goal and instead focus on getting enough protein and fat. As long as the sugar isn't crowding out other things you need, you should be fine.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well... things like granola, yogurt, and soup can all have a lot of added sugar. Not really ideal, but at the same time, the first thing for you to focus on is your calorie count. Don't worry too much about sugar right now, just figure out what works best for you to stick to your calorie count.

I hope you'll eat more than 1400 kcals today!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to track grams of sugar, I wouldn't bother with it. Many people swap it out to track fiber instead.

For those with no specific reason to track sugar, it's pretty much standard advice to ignore MFP's recommendation which is based on ADDED sugars only (but since US nutrition labels don't break out added and natural sugars, MFP just adds all sugar together).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Naturally occurring or added sugars won't affect your weight loss unless you have a medical need to keep them low. A lot of people here don't even track sugar while losing, but you can do the research yourself and decide if you're comfortable with that.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015/p1
  • mrswizz395
    mrswizz395 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cheers all. Already had dinner and only had 1400 calories so a little cycle then some protein!
    I tend to under eat in case I get hungry later on. Still early days so I'm learning.
    You set me at ease tho so thanks!!!
    (Love this forum, great to get such quick responses :))