Instead of fighting food addiction, how about active curiosity?

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
This is on TED today,

http://www.ted.com/talks/judson_brewer_a_simple_way_to_break_a_bad_habit

When we are in the throes of an old habit, it might help to step back and observe; what are our bodily reactions, what are we getting out of the experience? There's some good neurology science behind it.

Replies

• jgnatca
    Options
    *sigh*
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you asked about clean eating, or whether meal timing matters, you would have had more reactions? ;)

I will watch tonight as your description sounds interesting.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Or sugar. I could always bring up sugar. I thought adding the word "addiction" would be enough of a hook.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    The TED talk uses a slice of chocolate cake as the food incentive.
  • Live0rDieTrying
    Live0rDieTrying Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think your topic isn't getting much in the way of reactions because different people see things differently. Mainly for me, I get a sense of satisfaction and comfort, like waking up snuggled in bed and warm. It's an instant gratification. That's why people refer to eating the way I do as an addiction I guess. I, like others I'm sure, need my "fix." I don't explore other options as much add I should or could. Like watching a movie, cleaning, gardening. It's easy to talk about doing different things or even planning to kick the habit by immersing oneself into a better lifestyle.

I get more enjoyment out of making sure my stomach is full more than I do other things. I used to love playing video games, drawing, reading, and gardening. Food has been my way to cope through rough times rather than face them head on and deal with them constructively. Food doesn't tell you "your ugly." It doesn't tell you your weight or waist size. It doesn't back talk you or tell you that you're not good enough. And unless you're completely broke, it's usually always there for you.

I've done my share of observations. What I've come to in my case, is that my idle, depressed mind usually doesn't turn to wanting food unless I'm bored. I usually have a hard time saying "no." I tend to do better if I have some kind of encouragement with my better eating. The best observation is if I buy healthy food, I'll eat healthy food. Unfortunately I live with my husband and father, so they tend to eat whatever and but whatever they want. It's difficult to control what comes in the house. It's like keeping meth inside a house with a meth addict. Unless they can get their head into a better place and overcome their addiction, they'll use it. Just like me.

I'm not in a good place, physically, mentally, spiritually. But I'm still trying to be. I guess that counts for something, right?

But to come back to your post, people probably self observe all the time. They know what works and what doesn't. But simply observing and not implementing what you've learned are two separate things.
  • Live0rDieTrying
    Live0rDieTrying Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    After reading the article, it (meditating) seems interesting but difficult at the same time. How do you step outside and observe when sometimes you can't SEE the outside? It's a bad question, but valid anyway. I see the potential for positivity to come out of meditating this way though.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It was a good watch. Thank you. I have been working with mindful eating for a while now (it started with without me noticing, by researching "the hunger scale"), and I recognize lots of what he was talking about. I can tell now the difference clearly between a craving and hunger - it makes sense; my mind really knows what will truly nourish me. I hadn't thought about that, I've been upset for ages, that my brain liked to play tricks on me.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Thank you for linking. I use a similar technique to examine whether I am truly hungry or not. It is kind of amazing how little I genuinely hungry but still want to eat.

It was interesting. Just as he was saying people automatically multitask instead of paying attention to one thing, I was scrolling looking for any comments.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OK, I read the transcript. This idea is intriguing to me and I'm going to try this out on another bad habit that I have. I'll try to remember to report back.

The bit about the posterior cingulate cortex is consonant with the picture of the man riding the elephant. The idea proposed in the talk is a way for the man to gain control of the elephant. Hmmm.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I'm riding a runaway elephant!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I have a completely different idea of what it means to be mindful and to meditate (self-observe) than when I first heard the term. It's not so woo.

Using active curiosity about our own selves can move us out of our own self-defeating stories, in to wondering if a slightly different approach can make a difference.

I know that this objective approach to my own motives has been transformative. I am no longer helpless in redirecting my old behaviors.

@Live0rDieTrying , I did notice a slightly different perspective in your response...after you read the article.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @scolaris , make peace with your elephant. When your inner self (elephant) is no longer afraid, life's journey is a lot more enjoyable.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I want to hear how it goes, @Jruzer !